partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 11:51:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116183 Posts in 1853 Topics by 220 Members
Latest Member: elam63
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Foxtrot - advanced
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Foxtrot - advanced  (Read 6104 times)
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »

Thanks DSV!  This thread has really helped me solidify my position.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 11:39:30 AM by Some guy » Logged
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2009, 05:33:42 PM »

We then tried FT again - it was nothing short of a total revelation and change.  I suddenly got it.  The man leads through the base of my spine; my legs joints operate totally loosely - and the there was absolutely no effort, just delicious motion accross the floor being free while being led.

Its most astonishing that every lesson I feel as if I am a totally different dancer.  Things that I used to worry about - steps, maintaining contact, frame etc etc - they are still there but they are also so trivial to the fusion of two people dancing together...

Ah, you developed dangling legs Grin ......Can’t wait to hear when you report you have no legs.... Wink

Dancing is truly amazing when you start focusing on your own jobs and not your partnes jobs.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2009, 05:35:18 PM »

Thanks DSV!  This thread has really helped me solidify my position.

You are very welcome SG. Glad to have been able to help.

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2009, 08:38:45 PM »

Congratulations!  That's great news!!!  You got it MUCH faster than I did!!! Shocked Cheesy

Perhaps, but I cheated - I dance with a guy who understands Wink  I can't say this enough, I just died and went to heaven.  We have no debates about L or R brain thinking - all I had to do was tell him that I learn by doing and I dance in the moment - and that was it.  We have routines but if either of us is going to forget it its him - cause I don't know if from the outset Smiley   Its early days (we've only done the routine once) but I think I am even going to follow QS, something I swore I would never be able to do. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2009, 09:45:56 PM »

I tried some of this in my lesson tonight, but we were working on some other issues (swing and sway) and I found that thinking about this was getting in the way.  I'll try again in a later lesson.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2009, 11:17:23 PM »

Perhaps, but I cheated - I dance with a guy who understands Wink  I can't say this enough, I just died and went to heaven.  We have no debates about L or R brain thinking - all I had to do was tell him that I learn by doing and I dance in the moment - and that was it.  We have routines but if either of us is going to forget it its him - cause I don't know if from the outset Smiley   Its early days (we've only done the routine once) but I think I am even going to follow QS, something I swore I would never be able to do. 

Whether you feel you cheated or not, you got it. Many people don’t get it even after “cheating”. I must say, I also felt like I had died and gone to heaven.
My partner was totally RB and my dance “parents” taught me totally RB. I actually didn’t even know, when I was competing, that there was another way of learning or doing. It was not until I retired that I found out there was factual information and a systematic way of understanding the information.
We also had routines but we never danced routines other then in shows. My partner got so into the moment and the music that the steps would change to fit whatever he felt at that very moment.
I don’t think you should worry Elise, I am sure you are going to be able to respond to his information in QS as well. Be careful with the word “never” as you are soon going to be doing things that is way beyond what you can imagine as of now. Be open and ready to make know the unknown.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2009, 05:14:08 AM »

The int'l slow fox (silver american when danced well) is every serious dancer's favorite dance.

....in an everyday fight with argentine tango..........  Cheesy

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
mayoz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2009, 10:47:19 PM »

In 2008 blakpool congress,Jonathan Crossley said something about compression and shape.is it the same principles? because
you accumulate the potential energy and use it next,slow it down and stretch it out. please correct me if I'm wrong!
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 10:40:22 PM »
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:50:07 AM by mayoz » Logged
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2009, 04:59:57 AM »

Both exist; seperate from one another, yet feeding each other.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
mayoz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2009, 05:36:27 AM »

Both exist; seperate from one another, yet feeding each other.
Thank you TD,Elisedance,DSV and eyery one there. I'm geting many ,many valuable information here and learning a lot!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2009, 05:45:12 AM »

terrific mayoz - and don't be afraid to share your experiences, its the best way to learn....

mayoz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2009, 11:50:08 PM »

I'm getting a lot of contradictions of my previous method of late!  Dancing with pro is focused on maintaining your own balance at all times - very little mutual balance (which is what I am used to). 

So with that intro - I think it critical that during the feint your centre stays where it is - the forward motion you get by bending the knees is countered by a slight backward motion of your body - think of a limbo dancer (hey, thats a great analogy and I just made it up!).  I wish I knew what the lead was doing at that time but have not found out yet - all I know is that without it he's not a happy camper..

I used the analogy of limbo dancing just last week with three of my students. You are basically lowering vertical and the falling across the floor vertically. My “mother” use to say “you don’t go down to move, you movement takes you down”. My “father” use to say “You should never bend your knees, but when you have a fallen across the floor letting your legs divide, you will appear as if, you have bent the legs. It is an illusion that very few understand and therefore many cause great stress on their knees.” 

You should learn to fall and become fearless of falling to dance this way. I will have to show you ones we meet. I can show you with all my students, they all know how to fall.

Dora-Satya Veda

Black pool congress 2008 , Jonathan Crossley demo how to do "slow" of Foxtrot, Because of "slow" is spelled s, l, o, w , he used the idea when he demo with his partner, with feet together, he started to "bend" his knees and said "s",then step out  said "L", weight on the foot with "O", feet togrther again on "W". The qusestion is "was he bending hes knees or because of slow or divided motion.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2009, 10:19:38 PM »

I used the analogy of limbo dancing just last week with three of my students. You are basically lowering vertical and the falling across the floor vertically. My “mother” use to say “you don’t go down to move, you movement takes you down”. My “father” use to say “You should never bend your knees, but when you have a fallen across the floor letting your legs divide, you will appear as if, you have bent the legs. It is an illusion that very few understand and therefore many cause great stress on their knees.” 

You should learn to fall and become fearless of falling to dance this way. I will have to show you ones we meet. I can show you with all my students, they all know how to fall.

Dora-Satya Veda

I just happened on this again what, 8 months later and I think I really understand much better now.  Recently I have been amusing myself by looking at youtube videos and trying to see if the couple is lowering to move or move to lower.  Its much more obvious in some dances than others - and I think the foxttrot is the most extreme becaues of its slow action and relatively small amount of rise and fall.  Lateral falling is exactly what it is - DP and I no longer think of lowering at all  - all the lowering you need will occur as a result of the fall and step.  Its so counter to almost all of the teaching I have had and yet so logical once you get it. 

I remember a great topic on DF called looking at the ceiling where dancepro replied that she actually remembers looking at the floor more - and the suprise it generated.  I think this is its equal and more - I spend more time rising now than lowering... Cheesy

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2009, 12:10:29 AM »

I just happened on this again what, 8 months later and I think I really understand much better now.  Recently I have been amusing myself by looking at youtube videos and trying to see if the couple is lowering to move or move to lower.  Its much more obvious in some dances than others - and I think the foxttrot is the most extreme becaues of its slow action and relatively small amount of rise and fall.  Lateral falling is exactly what it is - DP and I no longer think of lowering at all  - all the lowering you need will occur as a result of the fall and step.  Its so counter to almost all of the teaching I have had and yet so logical once you get it. 

I remember a great topic on DF called looking at the ceiling where dancepro replied that she actually remembers looking at the floor more - and the suprise it generated.  I think this is its equal and more - I spend more time rising now than lowering... Cheesy

Yeaaahhhhh hallelujah, her eyes are uncovered *looking to the sky*. Grin Well done Elise.  You are actually seeing what some couples take decades to learn (let alone lots of money). You are beginning to sound like the great Body and Square dancers of this world. Now all you have to do is get it in the body and get consistent. I am sure you will see great results in the near future with that approach. You have done so well, keep up the good work.

DSV

Edward Teller
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2009, 05:10:32 AM »

I used the analogy of limbo dancing just last week with three of my students. You are basically lowering vertical and the falling across the floor vertically. My “mother” use to say “you don’t go down to move, you movement takes you down”. My “father” use to say “You should never bend your knees, but when you have a fallen across the floor letting your legs divide, you will appear as if, you have bent the legs. It is an illusion that very few understand and therefore many cause great stress on their knees.” Dora-Satya Veda

- DP and I no longer think of lowering at all  - all the lowering you need will occur as a result of the fall and step.  Its so counter to almost all of the teaching I have had and yet so logical once you get it.

Had a similar conversation just last night re this same thing as it applies to tango. The class was shocked that tango is not meant to be danced around in a Groucho Marx croutching - squatty thing.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: