partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 02:26:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  bunch of questions from a newbie #2 - Keeping time with QS
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: bunch of questions from a newbie #2 - Keeping time with QS  (Read 566 times)
Hammurabi
pre-bronze

« on: May 02, 2009, 08:22:51 PM »

Hi All,

Sorry this is the second part of the question Smiley

2. Then there is the quickstep, the slow slow quick quick thing, why are we bobbing? we bob at the start and its probably not visible, but i feel it, i feel the bob from my partner and i start to bob because he bobs. Are we suppose to bob?! then i cant keep up with the slow slow quick quick and it just turn into a disaster once we get past the first spin turn, then soon enough the feeling of 'chasing' his rib starts again, then of course i go into panick mode (and forget steps). My weakest link is the running finish, now it turned into a fast walking finish, not a running finish that its suppose to be. My partner told me that when i do the second turn where i go backwards, he has to leap around me, I have tried taking smaller step, but he still said thats too much of a leap for him, all i felt when i turn backwards, is a momentum to swing him around, my partner though, told me that he felt like being yanked around and has to leap.

Thanks!
Hammurabi
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 10:10:58 PM »

1) Keep your knees flexed at all time. Do NOT lock your knees when you are doing a lock step.

2) Keep momentum/weight forward (particularly for the man) of the body. So when you "bob" it would look like a pulse in the forward travelling direction instead of up. I think that foward pulse is desirable.

3) See my other reply, I think you are not lowering and rising at the same time and to the same extent. Try dance slowly in very close hold (we do this in an embrace, but suit urself if you are not comfortable in embracing your partner). Just to get a feel of the connection, when he's lowering and how far etc Also practising in a close embrace get both of you use to dancing in close contact.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 12:35:23 AM »

oh you sound so keen to fix everything  Tongue very admirable...but you will find that information given on a particular style will also apply to another...

I believe bobbing comes for the fact that we try to create rise and fall in the wrong way. IMO

I beleive others here will be able to prived good advise and do read the other threads relating to quickstep and other styles to clean other information that can help you.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: