partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 12:15:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Picking competitions...
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Picking competitions...  (Read 4312 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: May 02, 2009, 01:59:43 PM »

This is a factor that is quite different for pro-ams versus ams - which competition do you go to?  The reason is that for an Am the costs of a local competition are often under $100 with a distant one the same plus personal costs (travel, hotel, food). 

Of course pro-ams (usually) have to spend way more for a competition and most of us can not afford to do every one that comes around.  So how do you select which one to go to?  Personally I try to do the local ones as they are SOOO much cheaper but I am struggling with the distant ones. 

Since my pro is actively competing there are a lot of comps to choose between.  There are two catagories - ones that are within driving range and ones that are not since we can drive from Toronto as far as MD there are lots of choices still and I am buried in options - except OSB.  That one is a given..

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:25:42 PM »

I think I have sort of touched on this in the other thread. Even though I do pro-am, it's still something of a team effort to pick which competitions we go to. So, here is what makes a competition more attractive than others:

1. Reasonable package/hotel cost
2. Cheap airfares or driving time under 9 hours.
3. A and B closed scholarships.
4. Reasonable entry fees. It's especially great if there is no extra charge if I am not buying a package.
5. Schedule! I have postponed some otherwise attractive events because they are too close to the start/end of semester until I do not have a child in school. I only have to wait 4 more years, so it's not a big deal.
6. Reputation. If I heard positive feedback about an event, it makes me more likely to go. Conversely, if someone I know went and they were unhappy with it, I take that into consideration.
7. Size of the field on my level is a minor consideration

Anything else, like having a pro show, or top pro competitors, is just an icing on a cake and I do not consider it when deciding which comp to vote for.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 12:05:24 AM »

Pretty good list.  For us, there's one other major factor: whether or not other some of the pro's other students are going and we can split the pro's costs.  The length of the comp and the density, if you will, of the schedule is a factor for me too; I hate having to sit around for hours and hours during a comp, waiting for my next heat.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 03:57:32 AM »

Yes I tihink you nailed the factors for me too ttd, I would add the dancesport series heats too.  At least this year.
For me its a factor also if my pro is competing, if he is then the pro fees are less (they have to be there anyway).   

The other factor for me is whether DP can go and compete - if so thats a very big plus.

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 06:14:52 PM »

Pretty good list.  For us, there's one other major factor: whether or not other some of the pro's other students are going and we can split the pro's costs.  The length of the comp and the density, if you will, of the schedule is a factor for me too; I hate having to sit around for hours and hours during a comp, waiting for my next heat.

That's the reason why we want A & B scholarships. He has another student who is a B, and I am an A, and we both do silver, this way we both have a chance at a scholarship on our level. He has some other students, but so far only two of us do more than just the two local competitions.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »

Yes I tihink you nailed the factors for me too ttd, I would add the dancesport series heats too.  At least this year.
For me its a factor also if my pro is competing, if he is then the pro fees are less (they have to be there anyway).   

The other factor for me is whether DP can go and compete - if so thats a very big plus.

Is your pro going to compete in Kingston?  That would be an opportunity for you both and save you some bucks to boot.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 03:46:05 AM »

Pro is competing - but I think I'm going to skip this one.  I can't do them all, and even though they are very reasonable its all adding up too much.  I have to save for OSB.....  Also, (BOT) I think you can do too many comps - it becomes constantly preparing for the event and not stopping and fixing fundamentals. 

For pro/am a gap of 1-2 months seems ideal right now - though it might be less once you have most of the major technical things covered when comp experience becomes key. 

In AM however, I found that the more comps the better - it keeps you working and practising...

etp777
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:35:21 AM »

I agree, for proam, at least level I'm at, there's such thing as too many comps.  Also such thing as too many lessons.  Eventually you're just paying for practice time.  Which you do have to do sometimes, but definitely not as a rule.  Smiley
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 11:28:55 AM »

I personally like the idea of doing several comps almost back-to-back, then taking a several months break from competing. IME, a lot of times, in general, things have to get worse before they get better, and not having a looming deadline allows one to work through the "worse" part without extra stress.
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 12:18:56 PM »

This is actually a timely topic, as one of coaches is really pushing me to compete more, and we're discussing ndca comps, particularly those with good scholarships, as an option to help make up for the cost of competing.  course, means I have to win.  Wink

But even just looking at competitions I've gone to this year to cheer anyway, still gives a list of 6 competitions to choose from, plus two more I'll go to next year (scheduling didn't work out this year).  So need some criteria to pick one or two to fit into budget.  So good topic ED.  Cheers!  Smiley
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 01:34:47 PM »

This is actually a timely topic, as one of coaches is really pushing me to compete more, and we're discussing ndca comps, particularly those with good scholarships, as an option to help make up for the cost of competing.  course, means I have to win.  Wink

But even just looking at competitions I've gone to this year to cheer anyway, still gives a list of 6 competitions to choose from, plus two more I'll go to next year (scheduling didn't work out this year).  So need some criteria to pick one or two to fit into budget.  So good topic ED.  Cheers!  Smiley

You have a lot of choices right in your neighborhood: there are 4 competition there. If you want to consider driving further, St. Louis Starball is in March, and it's a really good comp.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 02:05:23 PM »

I personally like the idea of doing several comps almost back-to-back, then taking a several months break from competing. IME, a lot of times, in general, things have to get worse before they get better, and not having a looming deadline allows one to work through the "worse" part without extra stress.
thats an interesting strategy - the advantage is that you get a realistic appraisal since (usually) it means an expanded judge pool.  One problem here is nearly teh same judges do most of the local competitions Wink

etp777
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »

Well, 3 NDCA in town, plus Indianapolis, Wisconsin and St Louis, all within a short drive, yeah.  Smiley

Actually, St Louis was one FP brought up, as I went this year to cheer on her and her partner and our smooth couple, and next year that'll be where they debut their new choreography, so I'll likely be going again.  We'll see.

For now though, I jsut have to get through our regional in a couple weeks first.  and go cheer on all my friends at Windy City Open this weekend.  Cheesy
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 02:12:03 PM »

Well, 3 NDCA in town, plus Indianapolis, Wisconsin and St Louis, all within a short drive, yeah.  Smiley

Actually, St Louis was one FP brought up, as I went this year to cheer on her and her partner and our smooth couple, and next year that'll be where they debut their new choreography, so I'll likely be going again.  We'll see.

For now though, I jsut have to get through our regional in a couple weeks first.  and go cheer on all my friends at Windy City Open this weekend.  Cheesy

I thought you have 4: Crystal, Windy City, Harvest Moon and Indiana Challenge.
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 03:13:08 PM »

Yeah, i count indiana challenge as indianpolis, and where I live, it's actually a longer trip to Indiana challenge (ok, it's schererville, not indiapanolis. s hhhh Wink ) than it is up to milwaukee for Wisconsin state.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: