partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 07:21:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Picking competitions...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Picking competitions...  (Read 3652 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 04:23:26 PM »

Yeah, i count indiana challenge as indianpolis, and where I live, it's actually a longer trip to Indiana challenge (ok, it's schererville, not indiapanolis. s hhhh Wink ) than it is up to milwaukee for Wisconsin state.
They must have moved, my friend went this year and she said the event was held very close to Chicago. The organizers do live in Schererville.
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 04:24:20 PM »

It is close to chicago, problem is I live WAY up in north suburbs.  Think it's 50 miles from my house down to my office.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 08:18:05 AM »

I will probably go big ones because my teacher charges a flat rate. So it does not make sense going to small ones.
It seems that most of proam competitors whose teacher charge a flat rate do the same.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:56:29 AM by dlgodud » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 08:54:27 AM »

I will probably go big ones because my teacher charges a flat rate. So it does not make sense going to small one.
It seems that most of proam competitors whose teacher charge a flat rate do the same.
Can you enter as many heats as you like?

My pro charges a flat rate - but then when I do more than one day he charges extra Undecided

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 08:57:56 AM »

My pro charges a flat rate - but then when I do more than one day he charges extra Undecided

I could probably do it, but I am not sure. I have to ask him. He is kind of expensive though. Will be more expensive in the future. lol. Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 09:14:01 AM »

I could probably do it, but I am not sure. I have to ask him. He is kind of expensive though. Will be more expensive in the future. lol. Grin
I think it depends on a couple of factors - most important whether he is going to be there anyway.  Mine has very few AMs (usually only me Roll Eyes ) so to stay an extra day he in essence looses a day of teaching. 

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 10:14:44 AM »

I think it depends on a couple of factors - most important whether he is going to be there anyway.  Mine has very few AMs (usually only me Roll Eyes ) so to stay an extra day he in essence looses a day of teaching. 

I don't know how many students he has. But, I know a few and most of them are competing at big competitions. He himself doesn't go small competitions.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 11:12:14 AM »

Looks like cost came into play for picking competitions when it came to the Canadian Closed.  Hardly anyone from Ontario went and Ontario is , in my opinion anyway, the stronghold of ballroom dancing.  The cost to go to the competition was more than the worth of the competition.  Of course living in a large country means travelling a few provinces over is like travelling across Europe.  Why travel that far and pay that much when you are going to meet the main competitors in your own province ( for 98% the same city) a few weeks later anyway.  The status of the comp obvioulsy did not come into play.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »

Looks like cost came into play for picking competitions when it came to the Canadian Closed.  Hardly anyone from Ontario went and Ontario is , in my opinion anyway, the stronghold of ballroom dancing.  The cost to go to the competition was more than the worth of the competition.  Of course living in a large country means travelling a few provinces over is like travelling across Europe.  Why travel that far and pay that much when you are going to meet the main competitors in your own province ( for 98% the same city) a few weeks later anyway.  The status of the comp obvioulsy did not come into play.   

Which is in itself interesting - why do we not feel compelled to go?  I think part of the problem is that one gets the feeling that the only important competitions are the championship events, and of those only really the ones up to adult.  What its really about is picking current and future stars for international events.  Even if that is the main objective (and it is an important one) I think the comp would be far better attended if they made an effort to encourage winners at ALL levels to compete and represent their respective province.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 09:02:24 PM »

As we hve not danced in all comps we try to go to different ones, this way we can then work out which ones we will do in the future. this year we will nto do as many because we are going to Europe, so we are on a budget.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 09:15:23 PM »

Which is in itself interesting - why do we not feel compelled to go?  I think part of the problem is that one gets the feeling that the only important competitions are the championship events, and of those only really the ones up to adult.  What its really about is picking current and future stars for international events.  Even if that is the main objective (and it is an important one) I think the comp would be far better attended if they made an effort to encourage winners at ALL levels to compete and represent their respective province.

I agree.

The only other reason to go is that you want to teach, are in champ level and have to get into the top 6 to be able to do so.  If you are in Gold level up you may go to try and find new competetion but for levels under that it is too far, too much and too little reward.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 04:31:47 PM »

The size, name, location(distance), cost of course.

I am personally not that interested in going small competitions if I have to pay the same rate to my teacher. For example, winning a scholarship out of 2 couples is not worthy it for me. I would rather like to be a semi-finalist out of 20 couples.

Sometimes, it makes me laugh that people are so proud of their 1st placing out of two couples and brag about it.

The location is also important. In other words, the distance from my place. I will not spend extra dollars for traveling if it is not worthy it to go.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 09:39:23 PM »

Sometimes, it makes me laugh that people are so proud of their 1st placing out of two couples and brag about it.
That could be a little harsh - after all those people HAVE paid a fortune to compete and want to see something of their investment - and they may have beaten a couple that routinely bet them before.  Also, for each person you beat there are 10 in the stands that did not compete that you have, in effect, beaten Wink

pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 12:57:10 PM »

If you are new to competitions, might be a good idea to start out with some smaller local comps to get experience of competing before going to the bigger comps. At least that is what they recommend at my studio. I think some people also like smaller comps, because they are more "friendly" and might have more fun.

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 01:05:38 PM »

I agree - as someone that was thrown into the Emerald Ball as my first comp.  Noone should go through that trauma! [well, at least if you are as sensitive as me Wink ]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: