partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 03:17:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116402 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  bunch of questions from a newbie #1 - Keeping time with Waltz
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: bunch of questions from a newbie #1 - Keeping time with Waltz  (Read 1111 times)
Hammurabi
pre-bronze

« on: May 02, 2009, 06:42:21 AM »

Hi All,

Just trying to breakdown the original thread so its less difficult to read, I am encountering a few issues with dancing at the moment and wondering if you will be able to help Smiley other questions will be in other topics (sorry to start so many!)

1. I have trouble keeping time, big trouble, first the waltz, we are practising with John Devner's Annie's Song and Seal's Kiss from a Rose (btw, not the songs we dance to when we are at the studio), the start of the song is fine, once it gets in to the 'faster' bit and the chorus bit, things speed up as well, my partner is just over 6 foot and i am 5 foot 4 without heels (so about 5 foot 6 with), so i dont think the height is a big issue there, but i constantly feel like i am chasing his core (which i mentioned on another thread and Waltzelf suggested an exercise for) and also vertically from some odd reason. In the one two three in waltz where we are taught the one is gliiiiiide, i felt that that I have to chase my partner both horizontally and vertically, if you know what i am describing.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 08:21:46 PM by Hammurabi » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 10:26:34 AM »

It might work better if we break this into separate topics - that way dancers that have input on one issue can chip in.  Also trying to answer the whole thing is, I'm afraid, a bit intimidating!  Lastly its often a good idea to work on one thing at a time and once that has gelled to add something else.  Trying to do everything, in particular at a relatively early stage could leave you feeling frustrated.   BTW this goes for practises on what your coach teaches you too - make notes, identify the main issues and then deal with each with your full concentration.  Sometimes, of course, two issues are interrelated and then you just have to do them both.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 12:54:20 PM »

I think for starters, Seal's Kiss from a Rose isn't a waltz.   More like a slower V.W. ,but I will let others more experience chime in.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Hammurabi
pre-bronze

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 08:11:32 PM »

It might work better if we break this into separate topics - that way dancers that have input on one issue can chip in.  Also trying to answer the whole thing is, I'm afraid, a bit intimidating!  Lastly its often a good idea to work on one thing at a time and once that has gelled to add something else.  Trying to do everything, in particular at a relatively early stage could leave you feeling frustrated.   BTW this goes for practises on what your coach teaches you too - make notes, identify the main issues and then deal with each with your full concentration.  Sometimes, of course, two issues are interrelated and then you just have to do them both.

Thanks elisedance, have break it down, hopefully thats easier for everyone!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 08:27:07 PM by Hammurabi » Logged
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 10:04:52 PM »

1) I had a listen to Annie's Song and Kiss from a rose. They are not really Waltz music, I'd use them for NV Waltz. They are too fast and I think I'll have a hard time too trying to keep up to them!

2) You are chasing his core as in he is breaking away from you? The reason for that could be him pealing his left side away from you instead of giving you his left side. But it could be other reasons. I haven't seen it so I can't make a conclusion, have your coach take a look. But I think it's a guy's responsibility to maintain a strong left side so the lady feels that connection.

3) Are you talking about when he is going backwards and you going forward? This could due to that he is not lowered into his standing leg for the step. He might be falling backwards. As to the vertical, I think you guys are lowering at different time and to different extent.

4) I personally think ONE is the drive, TWO is the slide, THREE is the collect.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 10:29:13 PM »

Yeah, "Kiss from a Rose" is too fast for slow waltz.  It's more of a Viennese waltz. 
Hammurabi
pre-bronze

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 11:00:56 PM »

Thanks everyone, so is there an easy waltz song suggestion that we can try with? my partner got those two songs from some website saying they are waltz songs... thats why we have been practising with them...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 09:07:04 AM »

If we suggested a specific song you may have a hard time finding it where you are so what I suggest is that you buy a CD with ballroom dance songs on it - make sure it says 'strict tempo'.  You can sometimes find these in regular music shops but you are sure to find them on the web.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 09:10:23 AM »

Some readily available waltz songs with easy to count to beats include (and I like them):

If I were a painting
Brothers (from pearl harbour)
Senerade to spring
You light up my life
Dark Waltz
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: