partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 06:08:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  bunch of questions from a newbie #5 - Spacing and losing balance
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: bunch of questions from a newbie #5 - Spacing and losing balance  (Read 977 times)
Hammurabi
pre-bronze

« on: May 02, 2009, 08:26:16 PM »

Hi All,

Part 5!

5. Spacing issue, I constantly forget about the spacing issue, when i 'push' his right shoulder away from my face and stretch a bit more backwards, I feel like i am losing balance and him coming on top of me, especially when we come out from the promenade, we glide on 'one' then i close myself to him, and when i remember to keep the space, i felt like losing balance and he is going to fall on me (which never happens)

Thanks!

Hammurabi
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 10:16:43 PM »

1) Do not stretch backwards. I think you are trying to create a bigger shape. The bigger shape comes from the man giving the woman his left side so she extends automatically. If he doesn't give his left side, and your try to stretch back yourself, you will lose your balance.

Hammurabi
pre-bronze

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 10:51:13 PM »

yes I am stretching backwards, so by he has to give his left side means that he has to stretch himself?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 11:12:04 PM »

the man is the frame and he needs to hold his shape....you fit withing this shape and you are projecting yourself out to the left and upwards. I think you are trying to get a shape from the wrong place.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 11:15:12 PM »

I think you need to discuss this with your teacher again, to make sure that you are understanding the way you have to shape.  We too had difficulties with this when we started. You need to support your own weight, it is not your partners responsibility, if you lean back you will be come heavy and then it will not work.

You must stay low, don't straighten your legs.

There are plenty here who can perhaps explain it better than me. Read some of the other post regarding balance ans style

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Hammurabi
pre-bronze

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 11:20:33 PM »

Thank you QPO, I will talk to my teacher again about this, i think i am trying to get the shape doing the wrong thing.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 09:10:19 AM »

The shape is created sort of as a spiral from your feet up - thus there is no shift in ballance.  At all times you have to have ballance - at first try to make this as independent as you can - the two of you should stand on your own feet and be able to dance the step/sequence witih shape without the other partner there.  Once you cando that you can then learn to adjust your ballance to your combined motion.  However, this has to be a mutual thing and it takes time (and great instruction) to get it right.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 12:05:13 AM »

5. Spacing issue, I constantly forget about the spacing issue, when i 'push' his right shoulder away from my face and stretch a bit more backwards

I assume you are using the word "push" as a figure of speech here.  If you are actually pushing yourself away from your partner using your left arm, you are creating a lot of difficulties for him.  Because of the relative positions of your left hand and his right, if you straighten your left elbow, you make it impossible for him (unless he has exceptionally long arms) to keep his right hand in the proper position.  Just think about stretching upwards and to your left, not about trying to create separation between your topline and his.  If you stretch properly, and both of you are in proper frame (and he isn't leaning forwards you), the separation will happen.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: