partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 02:51:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Skill disparity between styles - for people who do multiple styles
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Skill disparity between styles - for people who do multiple styles  (Read 1053 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« on: May 01, 2009, 08:17:45 PM »

This is not about a couple with skill disparity. This is about a situation when a person does multiple styles, but is considerably better in one style than in the other. Anybody else is in this situation and cares to compare notes?

I'll go first. When I started dancing, I did exclusively american style. which was default social style where I lived. So I started competing in smooth-rhythm at first, too. My then-teacher did not know much about international style, either. However, when I started dancing with my current teacher, I dropped rhythm and started learning standard instead. I found that a lot of what I learned about smooth closed work carried over, and I progressed faster in it, than I would have if I learned it from the beginning. At this point, I would say standard is my strongest style at this point, and smooth is close second. We have occasionally worked on rhythm and latin, but not a whole lot. Ideally I would like to bring the other two styles up to speed, so that I can do 2-style american or international style events when they're offered (i.e I've seen closed 6-dance events: W-T-F-R-C-S). So I'm just wondering, would it make sense to enter such event if you have one style much better than another and how much of what I know about dancing already will carry over and help me to advance this faster than I would have if I did not know anything about dancing like I did in the beginning.
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:47:10 PM »

Do you like Rhythm and Latin as much as you do Smooth and Standard?

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 10:51:25 PM »

Do you like Rhythm and Latin as much as you do Smooth and Standard?

I would say I like them, but not as much. I don't dislike them, but if I had to pick just one style, I would have chosen standard anyway. For me, my level of like/dislike is highly correlated with music, and there are more songs in rhythm/latin group which I don't like compared to smooth/standard group. Am I making sense?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 06:04:15 AM »

I think most ten (or nine) dancers are stronger in one area than the other.  I don't see any problem with it - after all when you are competing no one really knows what you were like in the other style Smiley

BTW I used to do latin as well as standard - and was doing gold in one and bronze in the other.  The only reason I stopped was that it was simply too much and I wanted to so my best in standard.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 01:59:18 AM »

We do New Vogue and International Standard. What we are taught in either style carries over to the other. I dont know how different American Rhythm is to international but I am sure it can be done.

It depends on the time you have to practice. I know of couples that do all the styles available and they have three lessons a week one for each style and then practice sessions to accommodate the styles. So it really depends on how much time you have.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:14:47 PM »

You are, ttd. 
I don't dance either rhythm or latin, they don't "speak" to me as much.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 12:06:01 AM »

At one time (bronze - int. silver) I did smooth, standard and rythmn! But what I liked was latin (found the straight leg action) because my legs are natually quite hyperextended.

But now I focus on smooth, and am adding standard in. The studio in which I take lessons has quite a few standard dancers. One of my friends commented on how much fun smooth looked. Well, she took 2-3 lessons and came back to me to say it was hard! Personally I enjoy the expression it allows you.

With that said, movement is movement. A heel lead is a heel lead. It is really all the same.

Dance what makes YOU feel good. For that matter,do standard and rythmn! Now that is an odd combination.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 12:16:32 AM »

I think most ten (or nine) dancers are stronger in one area than the other.  I don't see any problem with it - after all when you are competing no one really knows what you were like in the other style Smiley
Well, not quite, if you're trying to enter a 9-dance or 10-dance event, and you might do really well in one half and not so well in the other half. This is why, btw, a 9-dance is skewed towards good rhythm dances, since there are 5 of those and only 4 smooth ones.
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 10:21:52 PM »

I was thinking about bronze/silver -- not an open 9 or 10 dance event.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 08:35:47 PM »

I was thinking about bronze/silver -- not an open 9 or 10 dance event.
I've been to a competition which offered bronze and silver 9 and 10 dance scholarships in addition to single style scholarships and I've seen closed 6-dance events (no VW, Mambo or Bolero for american and no VW, F, P and I forgot which was the other dance they dropped from latin - either samba or jive) on a schedule for another one. So ideally I would like to get my rhythm/latin up to speed so that I can enter such events (I mainly compete in silver smooth/standard, but I do some open events, too, like dancesport series).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: