partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 03:16:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Regions (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Canadian dance scene
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 Print
Author Topic: Canadian dance scene  (Read 23941 times)
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #210 on: November 15, 2010, 02:24:29 PM »

I watched this very young couple from Canada on Saturday at the World Latin. They had a small youth ballroom championship. The boy's name was Austin and they were fabulous.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #211 on: November 19, 2010, 10:42:18 PM »

Alon gillin and Anastasia Trutneva just won AM latin at OSB!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2010, 10:01:10 PM »

Both Alon/Anastasia nd Patrick/Ella made it into the AM finals at OSB..

Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #213 on: November 27, 2010, 12:20:39 AM »

Wow, heard that the Charities was cancelled!!  Last year was a low attendance of just over a hundred, I believe, competitiors but this year only 52 couples.  What the heck is going on!!

[ee edit: please see next post]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 05:32:21 AM by elisedance » Logged

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #214 on: November 27, 2010, 05:27:56 AM »

Wow, heard that the Charities was cancelled!!  Last year was a low attendance of just over a hundred, I believe, competitiors but this year only 52 couples.  What the heck is going on!!
R:  you MUST have a reliable source before posting something like that - if you are wrong you could undermine the competition.

Please give us a quote or link.
I can't find anything - there's nothing on the OADA site and Toronto Dance still lists the event.  For example:
http://torontodance.com/DANCE/2010-09-24-043136-Ballroom-Competition.php?dancetype=Ballroom
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 05:31:15 AM by elisedance » Logged

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #215 on: November 27, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »

OK, I can confirm R's report: we were notified today by the organizers that there were too few entries to make the competition viable and Charities has been cancelled for this year - and it was going to be the last one anyway.

This is rather depressing - last year I gave this comp a special recognition for its great attitude to the dancers.  I would love to hear why the turnout was always so poor - especially since it was for a good cause.

Sad

cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #216 on: November 28, 2010, 01:07:09 AM »

Yes, very disappointing, we were looking forward to the Charities competition, we did sign up through our studio but I'm not sure if they put the registration in before the event was cancelled. There doesn't seem much else in the area until Niagara. Oh well, we'll all have lots of time to practice up. One of the organizers said most people hadn't registered in advance that's why they cancelled. I was told they won't be holding it again. Like Kingston, it's gone and not coming back.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #217 on: November 28, 2010, 01:32:28 AM »

I also had heard it from the organizers.  I would not have posted it if I had not as you are right, it could cause problems for a comp if people thought it was cancelled and it was not.  That is also had I heard about the only 52 couples. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #218 on: November 28, 2010, 02:39:46 AM »

I also had heard it from the organizers.  I would not have posted it if I had not as you are right, it could cause problems for a comp if people thought it was cancelled and it was not.  That is also had I heard about the only 52 couples. 
I had little doubt you were right R - its just necessary to provide a source or it seems like rumour.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #219 on: November 28, 2010, 02:40:41 AM »

Yes, very disappointing, we were looking forward to the Charities competition, we did sign up through our studio but I'm not sure if they put the registration in before the event was cancelled. There doesn't seem much else in the area until Niagara. Oh well, we'll all have lots of time to practice up. One of the organizers said most people hadn't registered in advance that's why they cancelled. I was told they won't be holding it again. Like Kingston, it's gone and not coming back.

You would have thought they would check with the studios before taking such a step - incase there were a lot of entries coming in.  Perhaps they did not...

Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #220 on: November 28, 2010, 07:00:36 PM »

Two points really.  You would think they would have checked with the studios, especially the main ones and you would think the studios, since they are taking the responsiblity of entering their students on would have the sense to make sure they got the entries in. 

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #221 on: November 28, 2010, 07:53:48 PM »

Yes - but how were they to know the comp was on the line?  Or maybe they did and we have not heard the whole story.....

Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #222 on: November 28, 2010, 08:42:48 PM »

I only mean that why would they not have put the entries in before the deadline?  It was Nov. 22nd so what were they waiting for?  Only one week before the comp and they still had not got around to it.  Perhaps if the effort is too much then they should not offer the service.  Would they be willing to pay the late fee for all the competitiors?   With comptitions usually you have to know how many entries you are going to have to know what your output to input is going to be or, if you are getting funding you have to know by the closing date where you pretty much stand. 

Well that's five competitions that have bitten the dust and I would not hesitate to guess that there is going to be a 6th one coming up real soon if things don't change.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2010, 06:28:43 AM »

Intersting. we have had similar issues, but I wait for a new thread. but I think orgnaiser may have to down sixe and reduce costs. I feel that things are getting too expensive and people are having to think about how they spend their money.

After all it is a hobby, a passionate one but when you start spending out $200pw on dancing you have to think how to get the best out of your spending, as well as having to spend $1,000 per comp when travelling.....

entry to some of the cmps now is $85 and when you have to deal that with two people or if you have a family it could cost $300 just to get in......I beleive that the governing bodies must get together and have a think tank to see what they can do.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #224 on: December 11, 2010, 05:59:45 AM »

Its going to be interesting to see how many entries there are at our next comp - the Falls Premiere (see calendar) at Niagara.  Rather important that we get a good entry - I just hope it happens; apparently the organizers have had some stresses that could be distracting...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: