partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 05:50:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  dancing as a way of life
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: dancing as a way of life  (Read 2734 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: April 29, 2009, 06:44:35 AM »

This was stimulated by PDO's 'training' topic but goes, I think much further. 

In what ways do you find dancing to invade/affect/improve your life? 

I find its everywhere - its going to take many posts - and I hope this helps me identify many things that I had not thought of.

I'll start with PDO!!  Look what this place has done - and I would never have the chance to correspond with you gorgeous lot without getting into dance...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:32:02 AM »

I would never have traveled the world like I did/do if it wasn't for the dancing. I have seen more countries and cultures then most people do in their lifetime. It is wonderful to meet so many wonderful people from all over the world and all because of dancing.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:32:54 AM »

I would never even have considered moving to the US if it wasn't for dancing.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 11:59:08 AM »

I have met some of the most amazing personalities through dancing.  People from all walks of life with incredible experiences to share, from all over (for now, primarily) North America, whom I would never have encountered had I not taken up ballroom.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:42:09 PM »

I think it brought out creative part of my personality, which I would have never discovered otherwise.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:09:58 PM »

dance has made me become more positive. through the people I have met, has taught me to be more tolerant (for lack of a better word) of each others differences, has taught me to be more self aware and aware of my surroundings, has gotten me into volunteering, will re-visit this.

good post Elise

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:45:15 PM »

Dancing has caused the worse times in my life and my best.  Right now it is one of the things that is helping me through a bleak time in my life.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 10:54:13 PM »

Dancing helped me find a partner I would stay with for a lifetime. She is the reason I dance.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 11:02:16 PM »

Dancing helped me find a partner I would stay with for a lifetime. She is the reason I dance.

Thats how I feel too catsmeow.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 05:54:14 AM »

I find my reasons for my love of dancing the same as describing love of your partner. It is the whole experience, of the music, the company, the execution....when they all align it is pure joy....and we strive for that each time Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 06:29:10 AM »

I gravitated to dance by an inner instinct that those around me thought was absurd - and if you had seen me when I started you would have agreed.  I have no idea why I took this up or why I continued, as for many of us here there is an inner urge to dance that is so deep it is, I think, futile to try to  figure it out.  But the outcome has affected I think every single part of my life.  Its made me physically fit, its provided me with a 'second life' outside my work - and I think saved me mentally when the latter was going very badly indeed.  When I dance I can not think of anything but the dance.  There's the people - such a diversity, (the dance bug does not have a personality filter!);  The studios, time spent early in the morning alone, with partner or coach, with the sunlight filtering in;  The music, which goes to my bones; The competitions - preparing, dresses makeup, performing, competing, loosing, winning, whiining, celebrating, getting better and worse, the comararderie even the stickers and trophies Smiley;  The physical challenge - getting an older body to perform to a young standard; The heady and the heartbreaking - achieving beyond any expectations, working through injury.  Endless - and thats just the dance side.  It will take another post to touch on the impact of dance on the rest of my life.

But I come down to the one and most important thing - dance has given me an outlet for artistic expression.  For me all the training and everything else boils down to that one thing.  As I get more skills I acquire more tools to express.  It really all boils down to a way to express using my whole body and soul.  Indeed, if I could not do that I would no longer dance....

I've always had a need for some artistic outlet and have tried a lot of different forms from painting to music. 

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 06:34:32 AM »

I have eaten alot of Pannetonne

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 06:46:50 AM »

Dance has given me confidence and the chance to get to know my DP better. Before he was just the nerdy kid at school who always knew everything and wasn't afraid to show it. Therefore, people didn't like him. I'm so glad I got to know him as a really good friend.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 03:09:22 PM »

Dance has given me confidence and the chance to get to know my DP better. Before he was just the nerdy kid at school who always knew everything and wasn't afraid to show it. Therefore, people didn't like him. I'm so glad I got to know him as a really good friend.

then it seems it has also made you a better human being too... Wink

malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 11:41:39 PM »

I would never have traveled the world like I did/do if it wasn't for the dancing. I have seen more countries and cultures then most people do in their lifetime. It is wonderful to meet so many wonderful people from all over the world and all because of dancing.
I would never even have considered moving to the US if it wasn't for dancing.

like i am writing this myself.  Grin

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: