partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 09:07:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Dream Lesson
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Dream Lesson  (Read 5558 times)
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2010, 10:17:16 PM »

With current DP I have been able to take lessons from coaches I have always wanted to take lessons from.

So every lesson is a dream lesson for me even when it consisted me being yelled at for the whole hour Smiley
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2010, 11:13:38 PM »

Last weekend we danced at a large Toronto social club. The DJ announced that Maurizio Viscovo and his new Canadian partner were doing a demonstration in another month or so. When I started this thread about dream lessons, I mentioned wanting to work at least one lesson with this guy. My dream is half way there.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2010, 03:29:00 AM »

It's almost like I gather all the pieces when I'm awake and someone puts them all together for me in my sleep.  The picture I wake up with is nothing like what I imagined it to be when I'm awake 'though.  I guess sleep is essential to arranging all the information we have received.   

There was a period when I was gathering lots of pieces of the puzzle, then I complained to my coach that I have all these pieces but they're all overlapping and none of them fit with each other.  To make matters worse, I was running on about 2 hrs of sleep every night that week due to work obligations.  My practices were horrendous because I couldn't take a single step.  My coach ordered me to sleep, and sleep a LOT without trying to figure out this puzzle.  Sure enough, a couple of nights of good sleep and suddenly all the pieces fit, except that they fit in a pattern I never expected them to, and the picture was completely different from what I thought it was supposed to be.  I went to bed unable to dance and I woke up being able to dance better than I ever could.  That was the best dream lesson!  Smiley

I remember my teacher telling me to do something and me telling him that it didn’t feel right. He then asked me if I was a world finalist. I had to admit that I was nowhere close to making any final not even in a small competition. He then proceeded to tell me as I was not a finalist, great dancer, not even a good dancer, how could I have an opinion on what would feel right and what didn’t feel right. He told me that I was not at a level where I really had an idea of what was right and what wasn’t. He then continued to tell me that I couldn’t even imagine what it would feel like to dance well. He said that NOTHING would be the way that I imagined it should/would feel like. Looking back I have to agree with him, NOTHING of what I thought was dancing was even remotely true. It was so far distant from what I imagined that I never in a million years would have put the pieces together right if I had not had his guidance and plenty of sleep.

I would agree sleeping is a great time to get the pieces to come together and for you to see the true picture.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2010, 03:52:39 AM »

A dream lesson is one where you add in that additional element in your dancing and the whole thing changes from earth to heaven!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2010, 05:37:24 AM »

Last weekend we danced at a large Toronto social club. The DJ announced that Maurizio Viscovo and his new Canadian partner were doing a demonstration in another month or so. When I started this thread about dream lessons, I mentioned wanting to work at least one lesson with this guy. My dream is half way there.
They are competing in Blackpool this year - last day i think.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2010, 05:38:47 AM »

Oh, by the way, his 'canadian partner' is Andra Vaidilaite - the owner of one of our training studios!

drj
Bronze

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2010, 06:05:50 AM »

It's almost like I gather all the pieces when I'm awake and someone puts them all together for me in my sleep.  The picture I wake up with is nothing like what I imagined it to be when I'm awake 'though.  I guess sleep is essential to arranging all the information we have received.   

There was a period when I was gathering lots of pieces of the puzzle, then I complained to my coach that I have all these pieces but they're all overlapping and none of them fit with each other.  To make matters worse, I was running on about 2 hrs of sleep every night that week due to work obligations.  My practices were horrendous because I couldn't take a single step.  My coach ordered me to sleep, and sleep a LOT without trying to figure out this puzzle.  Sure enough, a couple of nights of good sleep and suddenly all the pieces fit, except that they fit in a pattern I never expected them to, and the picture was completely different from what I thought it was supposed to be.  I went to bed unable to dance and I woke up being able to dance better than I ever could.  That was the best dream lesson!  Smiley

I remember my teacher telling me to do something and me telling him that it didn’t feel right. He then asked me if I was a world finalist. I had to admit that I was nowhere close to making any final not even in a small competition. He then proceeded to tell me as I was not a finalist, great dancer, not even a good dancer, how could I have an opinion on what would feel right and what didn’t feel right. He told me that I was not at a level where I really had an idea of what was right and what wasn’t. He then continued to tell me that I couldn’t even imagine what it would feel like to dance well. He said that NOTHING would be the way that I imagined it should/would feel like. Looking back I have to agree with him, NOTHING of what I thought was dancing was even remotely true. It was so far distant from what I imagined that I never in a million years would have put the pieces together right if I had not had his guidance and plenty of sleep.

I would agree sleeping is a great time to get the pieces to come together and for you to see the true picture.

DSV

For me, something happens in the back of my mind and I process things while I'm doing something other than dancing. I recently had a brief break from dancing, any dancing at all, and when I came back to the studio, it was as if a whole mess of messy bits had gotten fixed. Without my working on them physically, just by visualizing and "daydreaming." Like DSV and SG, I will go to sleep with some problem working in my head, and then wake in the morning with it worked out. Surely my mind has a great capacity for teaching me, if I just get out of its way and pay attention to the results.

I need a book: The Lazy Dancer's Guide to Ballroom Dance. It'll be a very short book, with chapters on Sleeping, Falling, Daydreaming...  Wink

ancora imparo
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2010, 06:33:46 AM »

I need a book: The Lazy Dancer's Guide to Ballroom Dance. It'll be a very short book, with chapters on Sleeping, Falling, Daydreaming...  Wink

I would have loved to have had that book when I started dancing. I agree the book would be very, very short. My teacher would also have liked to include a chapter on walking and sex. Tongue My teacher would laugh when somebody came in for lessons and would make it into a science project. He would then say “how difficult is it to fall asleep on a person in front of you or to go for a walk in the park”?

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2010, 07:16:24 AM »

For me, something happens in the back of my mind and I process things while I'm doing something other than dancing. I recently had a brief break from dancing, any dancing at all, and when I came back to the studio, it was as if a whole mess of messy bits had gotten fixed. Without my working on them physically, just by visualizing and "daydreaming." Like DSV and SG, I will go to sleep with some problem working in my head, and then wake in the morning with it worked out. Surely my mind has a great capacity for teaching me, if I just get out of its way and pay attention to the results.

Love your approach drj - its so advanced for someone who has been dancing for such a short time.... you must have a great teacher Smiley

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2010, 11:04:59 AM »

Love your approach drj - its so advanced for someone who has been dancing for such a short time.... you must have a great teacher Smiley

I know her teacher. He was trained by the best and is a great teacher that is very good at getting the information across.

Edward Teller
drj
Bronze

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2010, 09:50:21 PM »

The. Best.  Smiley I am lucky beyond words. Even -- or especially -- when he's kicking my @ss.

ancora imparo
drj
Bronze

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2010, 09:52:36 PM »

I would have loved to have had that book when I started dancing. I agree the book would be very, very short. My teacher would also have liked to include a chapter on walking and sex. Tongue My teacher would laugh when somebody came in for lessons and would make it into a science project. He would then say “how difficult is it to fall asleep on a person in front of you or to go for a walk in the park”?

How could I forget a chapter on Sex?  Wink Walking in the Park, maybe, but surely not Sex.  Shocked

ancora imparo
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2010, 10:40:57 PM »

sounds heavenly Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2010, 05:35:43 AM »

sounds heavenly Tongue
You mean walking in the park? Roll Eyes

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2010, 02:50:28 AM »

a heavenly walk in the park Cool

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: