partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 04:43:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Smiles - none, fake, real? Which should it be?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Smiles - none, fake, real? Which should it be?  (Read 6191 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2009, 10:57:07 AM »

I don't think that works - it starts as a grimace and in the end it looks like a grimace Wink

Try thinking about the pleasure of dancing - and the smile will come if it is intended to.  DP was told to smile by an earlier coach - when he does he looks like a vampire about to consume me.  I've told him to dance and leave the smiling to me....

Yes I understand that. but I am lucky (so I am told) that it looks ok.....you have to visualise that you are enjoying yourself and then a natural smile will develop, but you have to start somewhere.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2009, 09:34:47 AM »

I got told the other day that I have a fake smile, but at least it's a nice one.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2009, 06:56:33 PM »

A lot of the times I look like I'm smirking when I dance. What am I smirking at?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2009, 08:09:28 AM »

well, if you think happy thoughts you have to smile....smiling makes you look younger.. and I like that  Tongue

Dance Forum
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2009, 08:19:34 PM »

Faking smile in V waltz especially good, if you smile big open your mouth help you breath better;)

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2009, 03:07:29 AM »

I am told that my smile looks genuine. but I make myself smile....otherwise I have a small pouty mouth and that is not a good look Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2009, 03:49:37 AM »

Faking smile in V waltz especially good, if you smile big open your mouth help you breath better;)

Just be careful to not overdo it and look like the marshmallow man Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »

Just be careful to not overdo it and look like the marshmallow man Smiley

JUST put a Viennese whirl in your mouth

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2010, 09:27:39 PM »

I got an interesting comment the other day. Another dancer (and much better one than myself) saw a picture of me and made a comment that here was my american smooth face I forget to take with me on the floor (something like that). Now that was meant to be a funny photo to begin with, and I did look like I was having fun and enjoying myself in it, but I certainly didn't expect anyone to make a connection between my expression there and dancing. But when I do smooth, whenever we break the hold, I have a small background thought running "when can I get back into my comfort zone aka closed hold?" and it probably shows in my expression.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2010, 06:42:08 AM »

I got an interesting comment the other day. Another dancer (and much better one than myself) saw a picture of me and made a comment that here was my american smooth face I forget to take with me on the floor (something like that). Now that was meant to be a funny photo to begin with, and I did look like I was having fun and enjoying myself in it, but I certainly didn't expect anyone to make a connection between my expression there and dancing. But when I do smooth, whenever we break the hold, I have a small background thought running "when can I get back into my comfort zone aka closed hold?" and it probably shows in my expression.
I wonder what you look like as you are opening out of closed?  Perhaps a little panic expression?  Perhaps something to practise a bit.

OTOH I bet you look very happy indeed when back and secure Smiley

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2010, 10:17:11 PM »

Real!!! Definitely. I cannot fake.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2010, 03:25:17 AM »

I agree - but does that mean that open-mouthed amazement is OK too (cause I do that too Shocked )

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2010, 03:44:45 PM »

Hey!

Recently, I saw my friend did that in a competition and she got a nice photo of doing it.

haha.....

I really liked it.  Smiley
samina
Silver

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2010, 06:51:22 PM »

We are all told to smile when we compete.  But I'm sure we've all seen cases where the smiles look as sincere as a snow man's and it really detracts from the presentation.  So do you smile?  And how do you smile?

I never heard any of my teachers tell me to smile and I will never tell my students to smile.  Smiley

I have on occasion told students not to smile.  Grin

my 2 cents worth

did your teachers tell you just to be natural and not worry about smiling?

i know that i don't care for fake smiling... and that i've been guilty of doing it while reaching thru exhaustion or struggling on the dance floor during a comp.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2010, 09:28:41 PM »

the 'norm' seems to be that you have to smile, whether you feel it or not.  Perhaps its hard for the judges to tell the real from the fake a few meters off?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: