partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 10:01:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Smiles - none, fake, real? Which should it be?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Smiles - none, fake, real? Which should it be?  (Read 5628 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2010, 10:52:39 AM »

the 'norm' seems to be that you have to smile, whether you feel it or not.  Perhaps its hard for the judges to tell the real from the fake a few meters off?

If "it" passes a 30-feet test, then "it" is OK. "it" can be anything - smile, pinned-up zipper, partially cleaned up stain...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2010, 03:54:30 PM »

the 'norm' seems to be that you have to smile, whether you feel it or not.  Perhaps its hard for the judges to tell the real from the fake a few meters off?

If "it" passes a 30-feet test, then "it" is OK. "it" can be anything - smile, pinned-up zipper, partially cleaned up stain...
Thats a new one on me - kinda like the 3 second test (for that dropped tortilla chip).

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2013, 05:05:42 PM »

This.Is. Hilarious.

Fake smiles are hideous up close, but, a lot of the time, they pass the 30 foot test.  Just sayin.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2013, 05:46:35 PM »

you may fake the smile-on-the-face, but you won't fake the 'smile in the dance'...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »

True.  True.

I'm guessing that fake smiles of any type are quite visible to judges, though.  Especially if you follow common knowledge and get in their space, they're guaranteed to see your grimace.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:02:18 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2013, 03:41:10 PM »

sooner or later you have to come close and if its a fake smile the last thing you are thinking about in your torture is where the judge is standing Tongue

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2013, 07:17:44 PM »

lol.  Good point.

That doesn't mean the judge isn't thinking of you, though.  I wonder if they mark off for agonized looks.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2013, 11:21:31 PM »

I think you see it in the dancing before you see it in the face anyway...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2013, 11:30:21 PM »

I'm sure they mark off for agonized looking dancing.

So maybe the secret is working on the mental process of winning and forgetting about the smiles.  Smiles will happen or they won't.  "Body smiles" only happen if you are mentally and physically on top of your game.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:03:12 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2013, 04:51:54 AM »

I always smiling during my dancing and even during my training so I remember to do it on the floor.  I did over the week-end take up hold with a closed smile and then when we start dancing I do a smiling showing teeth.  the more you do it the less fake it becomes Cheesy

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2013, 05:22:36 AM »

I always smiling during my dancing and even during my training so I remember to do it on the floor.  I did over the week-end take up hold with a closed smile and then when we start dancing I do a smiling showing teeth.  the more you do it the less fake it becomes Cheesy

That is good advice. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »

That is good advice. Smiley
Or the better you get at faking it - possibly to the point that even you don't know which is which.  That's exactly my point because a fake smile is not convincing happiness - surely we all know people who have a permanent 'smile' that totally lacks any emotional content.  Its disconcerting and can be even alienating.

The question, I guess, is if the same outcome happens on the dance floor.  I think the judges just see a couple who are dancing but since almost everyone has a fake smile it looses its impact.  However, a couple that is really enjoying itself will, IMO, stand out amongst the fakery.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: