partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:05:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116438 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Smiles - none, fake, real? Which should it be?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Smiles - none, fake, real? Which should it be?  (Read 5561 times)
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 02:58:51 PM »

Now, admittedly I have not danced these very long and I don't have an amateur partner with whom to practice, but I have danced a bit of all the Standard dances and this is what I feel:

Waltz - has always been bittersweet.  I told my FP this was like meeting the most wonderful soulmate you could imagine for yourself and then his lovely wife with whom you are friends and you know that the situation will never ever change.

Tango - I agree more with Elise here; although this is a fiery, passionate love-hate affair; we are on, we are off, you dominate me and I like it then I don't....I tease you, but you know I want you...you tease me, but I know the same (although the teasing is more AT than International).

Foxtrot - All I can think of is Puttin' on the Ritz...we are all dressed up and ready to show out

QuickStep - Elise is right, just a happy dance

V. Waltz - This is where I disagree with just about everyone....this is me is a happy dance, first love, not a care in the world

These I have not danced, but I have watched a good bit of, as former studio is heavily Rhythm oriented and I have a friend who used to compete in Latin.  In fact, I've seen more Rhythm and Latin than I have Standard or Smooth!

Cha Cha - This is the dance that gets the guy interested when you're at a crowded bar....look at me, don't you want me?  if you are lucky, I might let you take me home....

Rhumba - Just steamy! The hottest...not romance...but physical attraction you can feel for someone else, plus that feeling like "I got'cha!"...you want ME

Paso - Another passionate/fiery dance only this time, unlike tango, which is a tease, it is clear who is in charge

Samba - more playful dance where you get to explore each other a bit more

Jive - y'know, I couldn't tell...everyone is just moving so darn fast!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 11:06:31 PM »

I personally don't like smile in tango. Agree smile is good for other 4 standard dances.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2009, 08:12:25 AM »

Mmm...I think smiling in tango is just dodgy. It's too intense for that. Too much in a balance between passion and anger. (I guess I just always think of it as an angry dance...well, more fierce, rather than angry.)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2009, 12:49:13 AM »

Well I would hope that people don't hold a grudge like that for that long...geezzz we all have to move on, people make mistakes you can't hold it against them for life.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:53:29 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 11:46:12 PM »

I'm not sure if I smile in tango or not.  I would say no as I feel too intense.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 01:37:05 AM »

I dont think smiling in tango fits the part.  It is that serious passionate look that hits the mark. I will have to see if I can see in the mirror what I do.

Dance Forum
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2009, 08:18:08 PM »

I'm not sure if I smile in tango or not.  I would say no as I feel too intense.
I usually don't smile during Tango---but at the end--during or after the spin out I ALWAYS smile at DP and audience. It breaks the anger-love-hate-fight-battle cycle for the next dance whether it is FT (smooth) or VW (standard).
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 11:11:25 PM »

Speaking of Tango...what about putting on a dramatic facial expression?
We did Tango at a comp yesterday and after we got off the floor, my DP said my facial expression scared the crap out of her. Hehe
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 01:53:46 AM »

mabye that's a little too far then SW - you don't want ur DP to get a fright halfway through a dance (it might cause a trip Wink)

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 02:49:48 AM »

mabye that's a little too far then SW - you don't want ur DP to get a fright halfway through a dance (it might cause a trip Wink)

Zac

It was in the Tango Terrific.....coach wanted drama, and I gave him drama!
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 06:43:57 AM »

OK ..... so what dances get what "faces" then ....

Waltz -
Tango -
Foxtrot -
QuickStep -
V. Waltz -

Cha Cha -
Rhumba -
Paso -
Samba -
Jive -

I dare ya all, giver your opinions ... if not a smile ... what emotion on your face are you trying to emote in each particular dance?
Wow...Ive been staring at this for about 10 minutes now, and I dont know if I can just give a generalization.  Expression is unique to the person.  So where I might smile for a certain dance, somebody else might not, simply because it isnt their natural expression to convey that emotion.

well ... ergo why I asked specifically for "your opinion". So what are these to each individual (mostly) note: these are just a basic not necessarily a rule. Because since we are after all human, out "faces" will change in any given dance for any number of reasons. LOL

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2009, 01:16:31 AM »

I think waltz, foxtrot, VW and quickstep would want a beaming smile

Tango more serious closed mouth serious look/

Latin dances hmmm not sure about those but I think you would have to portray the emotion of that dance, sultry, loving, lusty....as you get to look at each other unlike in standard

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2009, 06:30:59 AM »

[...take a look in the expression's topic for more on this... ]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2009, 09:52:39 AM »

I have forced myself to smile and someone said it looked fake, but I thought to myself, you have to start somewhere,, it might be fake but in the end it will look genuine.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2009, 03:32:48 AM »

I don't think that works - it starts as a grimace and in the end it looks like a grimace Wink

Try thinking about the pleasure of dancing - and the smile will come if it is intended to.  DP was told to smile by an earlier coach - when he does he looks like a vampire about to consume me.  I've told him to dance and leave the smiling to me....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: