partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 05:15:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Smiles - none, fake, real? Which should it be?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Smiles - none, fake, real? Which should it be?  (Read 5552 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 10:09:08 AM »

I was dancing tonight and smiling and people were coming up and saying whats so funny!.grrr I cant  win.... Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:55 AM »

my pro laughs at me and tells me to smile. he says I look constipated. hahaa ....

i said wait I am concentrating on what you are teaching me. LOL

he is like .... um .... carol you are suppose to LOOK like you are happy.

heheee Grin

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 12:51:59 PM »

If I'm enjoying myself, I'm always smiling.  If I screw something up, then I'm laughing at myself.  I can't help it!  At least it's natural though... Wink

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 05:01:29 PM »

well, if its laughing at yourself thats necessary - I already have a life time's worth of material Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 11:52:36 PM »

We got told off for giggling on the dance floor at a competition. But we were just happy!  Tongue
waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 12:21:31 AM »

RE: Tango.

My partner does an excellent predatory smile, which suits the New Vogue tangoes (where you look at one another) really well.

As for smiling... you don't need to smile - in fact, anyone who smiles as though they are happy is not connecting with the Cha Cha, Paso, Rumba, Waltz, V. Waltz and Tango as far as I'm concerned - none of those dances are "happy" - bittersweet, sad, angry, firery, passionate, yes, depending on the dance, but not happy.

However, what you do need to do is perform on the floor - the correct mood should be clear to the audience in your face - a featureless (or worse, distressed) face is a huge negative.. Beginner dancers have a lot of difficulty with that so they're told to smile as a facade for performance.

My partner and I smile in the Foxtrots and Quicksteps, but I will very rarely find a waltz that I think a smile is appropriate for the music.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 12:51:55 AM »

OK ..... so what dances get what "faces" then ....

Waltz -
Tango -
Foxtrot -
QuickStep -
V. Waltz -

Cha Cha -
Rhumba -
Paso -
Samba -
Jive -

I dare ya all, giver your opinions ... if not a smile ... what emotion on your face are you trying to emote in each particular dance?

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 02:13:52 AM »

Waltz -
Tango -
Foxtrot -
QuickStep -
V. Waltz -

Cha Cha -
Rhumba -
Paso -
Samba -
Jive -

I dare ya all, giver your opinions ... if not a smile ... what emotion on your face are you trying to emote in each particular dance?
Wow...Ive been staring at this for about 10 minutes now, and I dont know if I can just give a generalization.  Expression is unique to the person.  So where I might smile for a certain dance, somebody else might not, simply because it isnt their natural expression to convey that emotion.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 03:11:55 AM »

Waltz -
Tango -
Foxtrot -
QuickStep -
V. Waltz -

Cha Cha -
Rhumba -
Paso -
Samba -
Jive -

It really all depends on the music, as different songs will create different emotional stories. Rarely, with the exception of the Samba and Quickstep, will that story be "Smile big and happy"
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 05:07:05 AM »

I think that the waltz and foxtrot and quickstep deserve a good smile.. Tango more serious face.

Latin dances should have a more sultry look..have to use the eyes more....as you can get to look at your partner

That is pretty general.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 06:59:50 AM »

Tango comes first - the man is strongly attracted to the woman and tries to impress her with his power and yet gentleness. She is besotted with him but is playing hard to get so that he will share and not dominate - though she secretly longs for the latter.  The couple truly do go through a love dance that is not unlike that for lions or birds.  I love, I can't be bothered, I love....

Waltz to me is an expression of new love.  You are caught up in the exquisite ups and downs of being in love - tuned in to every rise and fall of your time with your partner.  It is together, expressive emotive and three/four beat for these reasons.  Its also light as the relationship though formed has not yet truly gelled.

Quickstep - its a fast dance.. Cheesy

Vieneese.  The middle stage.  The early flush of being in love has passed and the couple establish a relationship that can guide them through the early years of creating a life together, a career and starting to raise a family.  They work in synchrony and mostly in harmony, deepening their love in this period of tempestuousness but keeping it simple so that they do not get distracted.... the period of common goals... 

Foxtrot.  This is the mature deep love of soulmates.  The couple are completely committed and they have developed a partnership that can not be broken by others or even themselves.  They have finished childrearing and live both for themselves and for each other and pursue their personal passions in a state of mutual support, comittment and dependence.   They move through life in total harmony despite its ups and downs and maintain a steady and strong joint core.  As they meet different challenges they simply maneuver through or round them as the time demands.  This is the dance of the partnership twixt no man could break assunder... to me foxtrot is the objective of partner dance....
ee
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:07:07 AM by elisedance » Logged

waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »

I disagree with the Waltz and V. Waltz. The music is usually sad, but romantic. For me, it's like the bittersweetness of someone remembering someone they loved but lost, or the kind of pain that comes from loving someone too much. It's not a happy dance, it's a rush of too many emotions.

The Tango is the anger of romance gone wrong.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 11:13:48 AM »

What about smiling during tango?  I just cannot conjure up a smile during that dance....it is not the feeling of the dance at all!

I get in trouble for smiling during the Tango all the time. Still cracks me up everytime...just thinking about that I am not allowed to laugh makes me laugh.

this is an early thing about tango : the cara fue or "ugly face". Quite frankly anything more explicit than a Mono Lisa smile and you might as well go and dance salsa or the hokey cokey
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:21:12 PM by Bordertangoman » Logged

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 11:24:26 AM »

I disagree with the Waltz and V. Waltz. The music is usually sad, but romantic. For me, it's like the bittersweetness of someone remembering someone they loved but lost, or the kind of pain that comes from loving someone too much. It's not a happy dance, it's a rush of too many emotions.

thats part of the beauty - we can all emote our own emotions, so to speak;)

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 12:23:31 PM »

hence Quejas de Bandoneon; "the Cries of the Bandoneon" a metaphoric badger injured on the highway of life.

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: