partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 12:24:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Smiles - none, fake, real? Which should it be?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Smiles - none, fake, real? Which should it be?  (Read 5556 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: April 27, 2009, 07:35:50 AM »

We are all told to smile when we compete.  But I'm sure we've all seen cases where the smiles look as sincere as a snow man's and it really detracts from the presentation.  So do you smile?  And how do you smile?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:43:23 AM »

Best smile comes from your heart, when you are really enjoying what you are doing on the floor!

But if you don't really feel that...smile anyway.   Roll Eyes
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 08:50:25 AM »

Agreed with SW - Smile as if you're enjoying the dance. If you're not, then why are you there?

Though if by some chance you have an off day, smile anyway. I looked at the video from my last comp and I kept forgetting to smile - it didn't look very good at all.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 09:40:14 AM »

but you don't have a video to compare with of you forcing a smile when you felt like yelling 'my big toe is fighting with my little one!!' or some such....

We have a couple here (no names) where the lead can pull of what I am sure he thinks is a searchlight smile - but it looks more like that naked bulb in the spy interrogation room... It pains to look at him.  I can't imagine that it gets him any points...

dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:54:29 AM »

What about smiling during tango?  I just cannot conjure up a smile during that dance....it is not the feeling of the dance at all!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:17:38 AM »

What about smiling during tango?  I just cannot conjure up a smile during that dance....it is not the feeling of the dance at all!

I get in trouble for smiling during the Tango all the time. Still cracks me up everytime...just thinking about that I am not allowed to laugh makes me laugh.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:26:01 AM »

We are all told to smile when we compete.  But I'm sure we've all seen cases where the smiles look as sincere as a snow man's and it really detracts from the presentation.  So do you smile?  And how do you smile?

I never heard any of my teachers tell me to smile and I will never tell my students to smile.  Smiley

I have on occasion told students not to smile.  Grin

my 2 cents worth

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 10:42:24 AM »

This is one of the reasons Latin is easier for me--Standard just doesn't lend itself to facial expressions as easily as Latin does, IMO.  I never could pull off that relaxed, sweet smile that seems to be necessary for Standard (except in tango, of course).  Not that I'm good at expressions in Latin yet either, but it just comes easier to me.
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 11:09:44 AM »

I never heard any of my teachers tell me to smile and I will never tell my students to smile.  Smiley

I have on occasion told students not to smile.  Grin

my 2 cents worth

Yet, FP pulled a pic of me from my last comp, told me my facial expression did not look good and said it made a poor impression on the judges.  I had what I consider a "neutral" expression as we were starting tango. 
Ah, well, will wait to see what current pros say...when we get to it.

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 11:39:40 AM »

I get in trouble for smiling during the Tango all the time. Still cracks me up everytime...just thinking about that I am not allowed to laugh makes me laugh.

Last year, at a small comp, we were joking about tango faces.  So in my next tango heat, with my instructor, I made a weird twisted-up parody of a tango face and held it for the whole dance.  The judges cracked up.  And I placed first.   Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 03:50:30 PM »

Oh dear - I suppose thats one (strong) vote for faking it!!

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »

I'm lucky I suppose because I really don't think about it.  I smile when I compete but its natural.  My partner on the other hand looks stern when he dances.  He has to think about not letting his thinking show on his face.  If you know what I mean.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 03:10:47 AM »

It is not that I dont want to smile, I am concentrating so hard that I forget to do so. So now when I practice I make myself smile....so far all the pictures I have, are with very serious face.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 10:07:49 AM »

It is not that I dont want to smile, I am concentrating so hard that I forget to do so. So now when I practice I make myself smile....so far all the pictures I have, are with very serious face.

That's it, exactly!  I am so busy thinking that I don't even remember to smile.  I am trying to remember to do that now during lessons.  surely I can multi-task learning and smiling!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 10:33:37 PM »

thats the real reason a smile is important - its really a filter for the dancers that have gone beyond thinking about what they have to do next and are now just doing it.  in that sense a (natural) smile really does make sense

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: