partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 10:02:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Just to chat... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  How's your weather?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 255 Print
Author Topic: How's your weather?  (Read 97330 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: April 12, 2009, 08:00:56 AM »

beautiful sunny morning, about as pretty as early spring gets - which does not explain why we had a power outage!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 11:30:29 AM »

Beautiful sunshine from a clear blue sky......love it  Cool

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 07:08:38 PM »

Friday was downright scary, with mesos and tornadoes popping up all over the place.  Yesterday was cold and damp.  Today was nice, but there's another line coming in tonight.  Looks like the really nasty stuff will stay south of us, though.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 07:43:20 PM »

Sounds like you are having weather with the big W.  Stay safe....

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:05:14 PM »

We are having perfect Autumn weather, moderate sunny days and crisp cool nights, cant ask for much better than of course that "R" word

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:06:40 PM »

I am glad we don't get to have weather like that our way, you do hear of it occasionally, but then again we have constant drought.

Friday was downright scary, with mesos and tornadoes popping up all over the place.  Yesterday was cold and damp.  Today was nice, but there's another line coming in tonight.  Looks like the really nasty stuff will stay south of us, though.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 09:22:33 PM »

Is the drought a long term thing - I mean centuries or is it more recent?

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 06:29:53 AM »

the weather in the sitting room on the couch is lovely Smiley  I've no idea what its like outside - cept I can't hear any rain

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 09:52:27 AM »

70 MPH wind gusts last night!   Shocked  I went through two tropical storms when I lived in Florida, and I don't remember either of them being as bad as last night was.  At about 2:45, a heavy "thump" woke me up... I couldn't figure out where it came from, but then I noticed the street light that is across the street from our house was out.  Checked the clock, and sure enough, we had no power.  Had a look around the house and there didn't appear to be any damage.  Figured there was nothing else I could do until daylight, so I went back to sleep. 

This morning, stilll no power.  After I got dressed, I took a walk around the house.  Found out what the "thump" was... a large oak tree in the wooded part of our backyard was uprooted and had fallen.  Found two other trees that were uprooted and were being held up by other trees. 

Found out why there was no power when I started to work... just up the street from us, a large tree had fallen and struck the power pole and did significant damage.  The power line and several broken insulators were laying in the street, and the transformer on the pole was damaged.  The tree was laying on the phone cable, which was still up.  I'm wondering how long it will take the utility company to get that fixed.  They prioritize by number of customers effected, and since the line that serves our street is a "stub" branch that only has about 30 homes on it, we may not get it fixed today, depending on how much other damage there is around town.  Checking the phone book now for places where I can buy dry ice to put in the freezer. 

So not pleasant.  Although it certainly could have been a lot worse. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 10:33:39 AM »

Hard to find a bright side - apparet from anything else (and pehaps the most lasting thread (I hope) is the loss of mature trees.  Of course, given the choice of loosing a tree and loosing a tree and a house you are definitely ahead

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 11:52:42 AM »

70 MPH wind gusts last night!   Shocked  I went through two tropical storms when I lived in Florida, and I don't remember either of them being as bad as last night was.  At about 2:45, a heavy "thump" woke me up... I couldn't figure out where it came from, but then I noticed the street light that is across the street from our house was out.  Checked the clock, and sure enough, we had no power.  Had a look around the house and there didn't appear to be any damage.  Figured there was nothing else I could do until daylight, so I went back to sleep. 

This morning, stilll no power.  After I got dressed, I took a walk around the house.  Found out what the "thump" was... a large oak tree in the wooded part of our backyard was uprooted and had fallen.  Found two other trees that were uprooted and were being held up by other trees. 

Found out why there was no power when I started to work... just up the street from us, a large tree had fallen and struck the power pole and did significant damage.  The power line and several broken insulators were laying in the street, and the transformer on the pole was damaged.  The tree was laying on the phone cable, which was still up.  I'm wondering how long it will take the utility company to get that fixed.  They prioritize by number of customers effected, and since the line that serves our street is a "stub" branch that only has about 30 homes on it, we may not get it fixed today, depending on how much other damage there is around town.  Checking the phone book now for places where I can buy dry ice to put in the freezer. 

So not pleasant.  Although it certainly could have been a lot worse. 

The most important thing is that you were safe and out of danger.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 11:54:07 AM »

Another sunny day with blue skyes. Just love it Cool

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 12:28:30 PM »

Hard to find a bright side - apparet from anything else (and pehaps the most lasting thread (I hope) is the loss of mature trees.  Of course, given the choice of loosing a tree and loosing a tree and a house you are definitely ahead

That part of the lot is unimproved woodland, so it doesn't bother me as much as it might otherwise.  It is Nature's way; she eliminates the weak and leaves the strong.  Other trees will grow to fill the gap.

And yes, you're right; at least we didn't have a tree fall on the house.  I cut down a dying tree last fall because I was concerned about the possibility of it falling on the power line.  But the way the wind was blowing last night, if it had fell, it would have fallen towards the house  -- I'm not sure it would have reached it from where it stood, but I'm glad I didn't have to find out.  I'd hate to be the neighbor up the steet whose tree fell on the power line; that's got to be an insurance mess.   Sad  (And, I just called the house and the answering machine picked up, so the power is back on.  Glad I don't have to worry about food going bad in the fridge.)

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 01:40:34 PM »

Ok jealous!!!!!!!!!!! I am coming to visit. So how much are flights out there?  Grin Wink
Another sunny day with blue skyes. Just love it Cool

Dora-Satya Veda

Can't wait to have you here, my dear Smiley

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 03:25:20 PM »

beautiful sunny morning, about as pretty as early spring gets - which does not explain why we had a power outage!

Sorry ee, I pugged in too many appliances at once.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:43:26 AM by Rugby » Logged

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 255 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: