partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 05:27:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Collar for the gents
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Collar for the gents  (Read 3888 times)
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« on: April 26, 2009, 09:59:08 AM »

Do you prefer a high collar or a normal collar? Any reason behind your choice?

Is the idea to show as much of the collar as possible? Cause I watch comps at higher level, I can a lot more white collar.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 11:31:49 AM »

I think it totally depends on the length of your neck. There should be a little skin showing between the collar and the hairline. My partner used to say minimum of one centimeter. Best would be between 1 to 2 centimeters. I am not sure what centimeters is in inches, sorry. I am sure somebody here on PDO can translate it.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 10:18:11 PM »

It depends also if the collar worn is feeling comfortable, having served in the marine corps I can say that high stiff collars feel like a noose around your neck, to tight isn't good, neither is to loose the same applies to hight.

The hairline is not a good standard of measure since this can vary according to style and growth, the length of your neck, shape of the jaw, and shoulders are set attributes you have to take into account.

Another option is the material the collar is made from; plastic or textile
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:25:08 PM by Vagabond » Logged

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 10:33:56 PM »

It depends also if the collar worn is feeling comfortable, having served in the marine corps I can say that high stiff collars feel like a noose around your neck, to tight isn't good, neither is to loose the same applies to hight.

The hairline is not a good standard of measure since this can vary according to style and growth, the length of your neck, shape of the jaw, and shoulders are a set attribute.

I will say what one of my teachers said many, many times....

"If I see hair on the collar I will not mark you out of the first round no matter how well you dance. If I don’t see skin between the collar and the hair, I will not mark you into the final even if you should be there”.

This lady was a many times world champion and if she said that she wouldn’t mark you because of the above reasons, then she wouldn’t mark you. This lady instilled her beliefs in many couples all over the world. If you dance any competitions in the US or Europe, I can guarantee you, you will be judged by one of her students! Top level dancers really couldn't care less if it is comfortable or not, they just want "the look". So go ahead do whatever you want with the collar, just know that there are judges out there that will look at that as a sign you are not a great dancer or you don’t really care.

Edward Teller
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 10:41:33 PM »

I don't think you really get the point I was making.

malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 11:25:07 PM »

OMG, when i saw this topic it reminded me on this 

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 11:26:08 PM »

whahaha Cheesy Cheesy
So did our dog

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 11:36:25 PM »

I don't think you really get the point I was making.

Help me out...I would like to understand what your point was....keep talking...sorry writing Smiley

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 11:38:08 PM »

OMG, when i saw this topic it reminded me on this 

I am sure the collar can feel like a restraint for the man.... like the hold can sometimes feel like a jail to the lady Wink

Edward Teller
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 11:50:19 PM »

Okay I'll give it a go

If you have to wear a collar, you need to try to get one that will conform to the occasion and standard of dress.

In this instance their will be a need to adhere to the standard as required or rather preferred in Ballroom Dancing.
This does not mean that a collar should feel uncomfortable because if it sits to tight or to high it in fact might influence your performance badly. I have actually seen someone fall onto the floor because the collar was to tight and was cutting his blood flow.

This fact can be judged only by the dancer wearing the b....y thing. On the other hand if the collar is worn looks to loose it will look sloppy and might give the adjudicator a feeling of disrespect (I agree on that with you). To high and it might rub against the lower jaw line with all the discomfort that comes with that.

Now looking at the hairline and using that as a measure I feel might be impossible if the neckline is long and the hairstyle is short or none present what so ever (bald). On the other hand one might have a very short neck (rugby players) since it disappears into the shoulders. Don't tell me that judges would also make a judgement on ones physical appearance since we are not all born in the same shape, standard moulds just do not apply

I hope this makes sense
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:54:50 PM by Vagabond » Logged

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 12:12:13 AM »

Okay I'll give it a go

If you have to wear a collar, you need to try to get one that will conform to the occasion and standard of dress.

In this instance their will be a need to adhere to the standard as required or rather preferred in Ballroom Dancing.
This does not mean that a collar should feel uncomfortable because if it sits to tight or to high it in fact might influence your performance badly.

This fact can be judged only by the dancer wearing the b....y thing. On the other hand if the collar is worn looks to loose it will look sloppy and might give the adjudicator a feeling of disrespect (I agree on that with you). To high and it might rub against the lower jaw line with all the discomfort that comes with that.

Now looking at the hairline and using that as a measure I feel might be impossible if the neckline is long and the hairstyle is short or none present what so ever (bald). On the other hand one might have a very short neck (rugby players) since it disappears into the shoulders. Don't tell me that judges would also make a judgement on ones physical appearance since we are not all born in the same shape, standard moulds just do not apply

I hope this makes sense

Yes, I think that does make sense.

The collar is normally measure to fit the size of shirt that is use. So the shirt and collar (the shirt and the white plastic collar) are of the same size.

I have found that many of my students start out with a lower collar as their neck is not long enough for the high collar. After a couple of years they all tend to change into the higher collar as their neck has lengthened. So if the collar is making a mark or rubbing against the lower jar line, then use the shorter collar. I must say that most top couples want “the look” and will work themselves into high collar over time.

I regards to the hairline. Hey, if you are bald then having hair on the collar is not an issue. I have seen many top male dancers shave their hairline up to give the appearance of a longer neck, thereby giving them the possibility of wearing the higher collar.

Think about it, when you look at the top 96 couples in Blackpool, they are all pretty much the same body type. High level BR standard dancing does promote a certain body type. You can cover some things with a little tricks like shaving your neckline up, having a great tail suit and trick of the trade.

Just my 2 cents worth

Edward Teller
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 12:46:35 AM »

Very interesting ideas and beliefs....I'm not making a judgement on any as I am definitely not in the position to do so

Funny how the focus is on the collar and the hairline...what about the colar and the tailsuit.
I have this terrible habit of unable to keep my shoulders down, so more often than I like, the my tailsuit rides up with my shoulder and covers the collar. Sometimes so bad that even with a high collar, I can not see any white collar from the back.

Any suggestions to solve my problem?
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 12:52:07 AM »

I refer you back to your post on the tailsuit

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 01:00:59 AM »

I refer you back to your post on the tailsuit

Oh yes yes...my apologies. I guess the whole thing is really bugging me  Roll Eyes
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 01:02:53 AM »

Yes I can imagine

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: