partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 08:16:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116183 Posts in 1853 Topics by 220 Members
Latest Member: elam63
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Collar for the gents
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Collar for the gents  (Read 3586 times)
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 09:54:02 AM »

Next time I go to get my hair cut, I'll ask to cut my hairline higher.
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 09:57:34 AM »

Next time I go to get my hair cut, I'll ask to cut my hairline higher.

Now thats lateral thinking, good work

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 12:21:44 PM »

Very interesting ideas and beliefs....I'm not making a judgement on any as I am definitely not in the position to do so

Funny how the focus is on the collar and the hairline...what about the colar and the tailsuit.
I have this terrible habit of unable to keep my shoulders down, so more often than I like, the my tailsuit rides up with my shoulder and covers the collar. Sometimes so bad that even with a high collar, I can not see any white collar from the back.

Any suggestions to solve my problem?

One of the lady (she's English) judges told my DP the next time he competed she expected his hair to be cut.  My partner has a long neck and wears the higher collar but now always has me shave the back of his hair to be sure that it does not touch. 

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 04:58:33 AM »

I struggle to think how this should be an issue, when it is the rest of you body, posture feet etc, that determine your dancing....but there you go! Undecided

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 05:10:56 AM »

You know what would it look like when during an icehockey game the ref. would look at someones blade and make a remark about the colour of it, heavens...... as long as you look presentable let it go, it is dancesports not fashionsports
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:07:03 AM by QPO » Logged

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2009, 02:00:08 PM »

Totally understand but hostage to what the judges want.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 03:07:38 AM »

I see that it happens everywhere.... Lips sealed

Dance Forum
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 06:59:37 AM »

Maybe time to break the mold?

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 11:15:37 AM »

Well I dont think change will happen overnight it will take time perhaps with the next generation of judges....

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 04:46:55 PM »

I keep thinking that too.  They have a certain look in their mind and everyone must conform to it.  To be honest I can get that way too.  You have a mental picture of what the perfect man/woman looks like and it can influence how you feel about a couple.  I think it is human nature.

Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2009, 04:20:12 AM »

I keep thinking that too.  They have a certain look in their mind and everyone must conform to it.  To be honest I can get that way too.  You have a mental picture of what the perfect man/woman looks like and it can influence how you feel about a couple.  I think it is human nature.

So we are looking at someone's appearance instead of their performance, sounds like a case of Susan Boyle to me

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 12:45:39 PM »

Let's face it, we all think this in one area or another.  It does not have to be ballroom dancing.  When you think of a model you have an image in your head, a basketball player, the whatever.  I guess its a stereotypical idea that we have assigned to certain things, thats all.  I don't agree but it happens. 

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 01:28:09 PM »

I would call it a uniform. We use uniforms to recognize what it is that people do or believe in. It would look funny if a police officer turned up in a doctor’s uniform.  Cheesy
Isn’t that what we do for Halloween? If you want to show up as an angle then you use wings and a halo, if you are a vampire you have a bloody teeth and if you are a portraying a job or a business you will use the uniform that we perceive to represent that job or business. A business man that wants to be successful is expected to show up in a suit to the meeting.

Well, ballroom dancers also have a uniform that is used (in standard….dresses for the ladies and tails for the gents). In the US the IRS are accepting the “ballroom dance uniform” is part of your business expenses for the professional ballroom dancer.

If you worked for the police force and refused to use the uniform, you would be fired as that is not acceptable to the force. I see “dance uniform” much the same way. We have a format for the “uniform” that must be followed. If you don’t want to follow the “uniform” format, then don’t participate. I know that in standard the gents don’t have many choices on “uniform” but in latin they are able to express themselves and their personality much more then a police officer would ever be able to do. Yes, we do have a format of “uniform” but so does much of society, whether that is right or wrong..

I actually find it interesting with the new pictures that have shown up with Susan Doyle. She has totally changed her appearance….I wonder why??

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2009, 03:09:35 AM »

I would call it a uniform. We use uniforms to recognize what it is that people do or believe in. It would look funny if a police officer turned up in a doctor’s uniform.  Cheesy
Isn’t that what we do for Halloween? If you want to show up as an angle then you use wings and a halo, if you are a vampire you have a bloody teeth and if you are a portraying a job or a business you will use the uniform that we perceive to represent that job or business. A business man that wants to be successful is expected to show up in a suit to the meeting.

Well, ballroom dancers also have a uniform that is used (in standard….dresses for the ladies and tails for the gents). In the US the IRS are accepting the “ballroom dance uniform” is part of your business expenses for the professional ballroom dancer.

If you worked for the police force and refused to use the uniform, you would be fired as that is not acceptable to the force. I see “dance uniform” much the same way. We have a format for the “uniform” that must be followed. If you don’t want to follow the “uniform” format, then don’t participate. I know that in standard the gents don’t have many choices on “uniform” but in latin they are able to express themselves and their personality much more then a police officer would ever be able to do. Yes, we do have a format of “uniform” but so does much of society, whether that is right or wrong..

I actually find it interesting with the new pictures that have shown up with Susan Doyle. She has totally changed her appearance….I wonder why??

Because we are led to believe that we have to conform to a norm, a norm set by certain groups in a certain demographic. I don't think that it would made any difference how she looks now to the Arawaks or Caribs of South America or to the Europeans of lets say 500 years ago?

And I do understand the concept of uniformity but that uniformity is again the result of culture, demographic and ..... time
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:11:20 AM by Vagabond » Logged

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2009, 08:48:51 AM »

LOL I just decided to revisit this thread cause I've been told to go get a haircut for our next championship!
I'll ask to get my back hairline cut 1inch above my collar.  Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: