partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 03:29:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Your best dance achievement - present AND past (one per post)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Your best dance achievement - present AND past (one per post)  (Read 5262 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2009, 09:55:27 AM »

The man is the one to focus on music that comes out of the speakers and how to use that music in dancing. Lady should focus on the man's inner music and not what comes out of the speakers.

Dora-Satya Veda

Oh I like this!  Smiley

Thank you, I would tell my main teacher if I could. Wink Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2009, 12:31:26 PM »

There were only two reasons a lady would be taught this information at a lower level then finalist or semifinalist. One reason would be, if the lady has a couple that she is teaching that are at the level where this is to be taught to them and she doesn't have a partner that can help her. The second reason would be, if she is fully retired, meaning no longer competing or demonstrating in any way or form.

I, myself can totally understand the reasoning for this way of teaching. I have found that couples were they don't know the other persons jobs, do tend to excel faster then, if they know each others jobs.

Dora-Satya Veda

Ah, I understand - if you knew too much about your partner's jobs it might distract you from doing your own - and could also contribute to arguments.  And its consistent if its the case for both men and women.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2009, 10:43:40 PM »

Hmmm,

Are you saying that if my partner is off time, I should just follow him instead of trying to 'brake him' ?

In the perfect world of perfect partner who understands the music 100% and dance on time all the time this may works.

However, my DP and me sometimes dance off time when we are nervous (mostly too fast) and we keep on needing to remind each other by 'braking' each other.

Not too obviously of course.

Sometimes I lower more and press slightly on my partner's right arms to signal 'slooooow down'.

But then again we are not very high level ....
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »

I do that too DGD, because occasionally he does speed up. I think signalling that he's too fast by giving a small squeeze or a little pull is fine, but we're not high level either. I figure a small gesture is better than getting really out of time.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2009, 04:12:47 AM »

Nope.  I'm now convinced that its best to let him be.  If you try to change it it will only put him off - and it will be even more obvious to the judges that you are off.  Also, he will not learn to stay on beat if you are trying to fix him - he has enough to worry about already.

As DSV advises - the man IS the music to the woman - we have to dance his timing wherever it goes.

bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2009, 04:33:08 AM »

Winning my studio's Comp Grand Final. Twice.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2009, 12:55:40 PM »

Nope.  I'm now convinced that its best to let him be.  If you try to change it it will only put him off - and it will be even more obvious to the judges that you are off.  Also, he will not learn to stay on beat if you are trying to fix him - he has enough to worry about already.

As DSV advises - the man IS the music to the woman - we have to dance his timing wherever it goes.

Yes, let the man learn to do his jobs. Do not be an enabler for him. Give him a change to learn it without bugging him.

Thank you, Elise for speaking up.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2009, 06:01:33 AM »

I agree, the man has to take the lead with the music and if my partner makes a mistake I follow it. this is my journey to follow him down the fox hole! Shocked

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2009, 11:19:06 AM »

This has to go in my best achievements.  At the Empire we came 3/4 couples in dancesport series B, which, incidentally,  I was very happy with.

However, I just looked at the score sheets and the marks showed a lot of inconsistency but I was blown away by the ranking by Charlotte Jorgensen (she was 2nd in Blackpool with Andrew Sinkinson back in 1999): Waltz 2nd, Tango 1st, Vieneese 2nd, FT 1st and QS 1st. 

Notwithstanding this means the other judges must have been correspondingy harder Undecided , this is surely a treasure for me and a testament to my terrific pro....

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »

I love Judi Hatton for that same reason! Cheesy
Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2009, 05:56:26 PM »

Figuring out the "touch and go" or "two-handed continuous turn", it's easier than it looks , just takes some practice though. (usually seen in Hustle, Salsa, WC Swing and Country Two Step).

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2009, 10:04:18 PM »

However, I just looked at the score sheets and the marks showed a lot of inconsistency but I was blown away by the ranking by Charlotte Jorgensen (she was 2nd in Blackpool with Andrew Sinkinson back in 1999): Waltz 2nd, Tango 1st, Vieneese 2nd, FT 1st and QS 1st.  ...  this is surely a treasure for me and a testament to my terrific pro....

EE,

Wow, she is one of my favorite lady dancers. Great result!

pruthe

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2009, 10:10:50 PM »

I'm floored - she judged us consistently above a couple that came in 4th at OSB 'B' championships last year!

But. you can judge for yourself now - the comp video is posted on youtube.  I've put a link here:
http://partnerdanceonline.com/index.php?topic=654.15

Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2009, 10:27:47 PM »

As a dancer: Just being able to follow people who aren't my usual partners in a fairly seamless dance through a whole foxtrot mixer (without messing us up). I never wanted to "be able to dance with Ben Ermis (okay yes, but this is a different tangent, stick with me)"- if you CAN'T dance with Ben Ermis basic footwork, then there's something wrong- but I wanted to dance with the average "I know enough foxtrot/swing/cha cha to not sit out every dance at a party"- the kind whose leads are a little shaky, sometimes late, they might miss count, etc.... and come out thinking "Hey- we did that all right, didn't we?"

As dancer but not me-personal: I wanted to be able to teach a guy his basic footwork for a couple dances, so I started learning leads. It worked for awhile, but I can't lead J through anything. I can anybody else, just not him.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2009, 10:36:56 PM »

some men are unleadable.  and insufferably cute because of it Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: