partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 04:26:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Your best dance achievement - present AND past (one per post)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Your best dance achievement - present AND past (one per post)  (Read 5106 times)
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 10:40:54 PM »

My first achievement was finding my partner.  The second was my partner and I jumping off the dancing cliff and not only landing on our feet, but exceeding everyone's (including ourselves) expectations.

My DP and I left our studio not knowing if or where we would find anyone to teach us, and if it would mean the end of our dancing.  My DP was asked to leave our studio because we wanted to compete.  At that time we had to get their permission for everything or face being tossed out.  This and the fact that they totally used and abused my father caused me to leave too.  After some time and research we found a couple that taught International (we were doing American) just over an hour from me and we switched over and started with them.  We joined the Ontario Amateur Dancesport Association, got into competitng, found a series of new instructors as we advanced and well, the rest is history.  The road has been difficult but we survive and continue to grow with each other's help.

Our leaving and the experience we gained along the way over the years has paved the way for seven other couples to follow our path into taking lessons outside of London and competing.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 10:41:01 PM »

winning a higher level dance comp against higher level dancers... Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Dancerette
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2009, 05:51:27 PM »

I have to agree with a few of the others who have posted...my greatest achievement was finding my indescribably lovely dance partner.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2009, 06:45:12 PM »

you have to be one to understand one... and that, above all else perhaps, is the real reason for PDO...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2009, 01:26:49 AM »

I have to agree with a few of the others who have posted...my greatest achievement was finding my indescribably lovely dance partner.

I agree with that. this wonderful dance journey would not be the same without them...

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2009, 10:58:54 AM »

A student asked me a few weeks ago how to change the speed of the music that was/is played at competitions. In other words, he asked me how to change the perceived fixed time of the music. Yhhheeeeyyy the seed that I planted in this students head has started to grow. This student is now beyond the use of the basic toolbox.  Grin  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2009, 05:16:40 PM »

music??? Obviously a male student.  We women change speed with each of the leader's heartbeats ....

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »

music??? Obviously a male student.  We women change speed with each of the leader's heartbeats ....

Yes, he sure is a male.

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2009, 08:31:52 PM »

hey, I'm learning OK Cheesy

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2009, 08:40:05 PM »

If it had been a female asking me that question!!!

I would have told her off big time and told her that is none of her business. I would not go there until she had been retired and was teaching a couple that was ready for that kind of information. My lady students know that I would tell them off, so they don't even go there.  Wink  Grin

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2009, 08:55:07 PM »

and why so different for a male Huh

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2009, 07:04:06 AM »

and why so different for a male Huh

The man is the one to focus on music that comes out of the speakers and how to use that music in dancing. Lady should focus on the man's inner music and not what comes out of the speakers.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2009, 07:45:36 AM »

ah, I see  - I misunderstood the statement.

but what if the lady wants to learn what the man's jobs are?

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2009, 09:41:17 AM »

The man is the one to focus on music that comes out of the speakers and how to use that music in dancing. Lady should focus on the man's inner music and not what comes out of the speakers.

Dora-Satya Veda

Oh I like this!  Smiley
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2009, 09:54:32 AM »

ah, I see  - I misunderstood the statement.

but what if the lady wants to learn what the man's jobs are?

Well, the rule they used to use in England goes like this.

The only dancers qualified to teach at a higher level would be finalists or semifinalists in one of the big competitions (The Star, The British Open, The International, The UK Championship or the World Championship). Anybody lower ranked then that was taught both jobs. They were taught only the job that they were to focus on. The man was only taught the man's job and the lady was only taught the lady's job. This way they could focus 100% on their own job as they had no clue what the other person was doing.

There were only two reasons a lady would be taught this information at a lower level then finalist or semifinalist. One reason would be, if the lady has a couple that she is teaching that are at the level where this is to be taught to them and she doesn't have a partner that can help her. The second reason would be, if she is fully retired, meaning no longer competing or demonstrating in any way or form.

I, myself can totally understand the reasoning for this way of teaching. I have found that couples were they don't know the other persons jobs, do tend to excel faster then, if they know each others jobs.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: