partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 07:18:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Shoulder Problems due to the "social scene"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Shoulder Problems due to the "social scene"  (Read 3335 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 08:57:03 AM »

I've heard quite a few times, in our advanced ballroom class, that a man should lead from his center and not push with his arms.

Correct, but when you are about 40cm taller (1.5 foot) it gets very hard to use your centre since that might get in contact with undesirable parts

Well, as a follower especially blessed by mother nature in that aspect, I can tell you that I honestly do not care, really, if the parts you're talking about come in contact with a guy I dance with. And also, I think that the more dance experience the lady has, the less she cares about accidental contact there.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 09:36:56 AM »

I suspect the bag of cement is really the follow that does not know aht to do and is hoping the lead will simply put her there. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 11:50:52 AM »

I suspect the bag of cement is really the follow that does not know aht to do and is hoping the lead will simply put her there. 

I'm trying to figure out why anybody would describe "certain" parts as "undesirable".  Personally, I love 'em...  Wink

Yes.  Quite.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 02:28:16 PM »

I'm trying to figure out why anybody would describe "certain" parts as "undesirable".  Personally, I love 'em...  Wink

I think this deserves a separate topic. I'll try to make one.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 09:01:15 PM »

I've heard quite a few times, in our advanced ballroom class, that a man should lead from his center and not push with his arms. That certainly helps to alleviate the problem, this is why I reserve smooth dances for leaders from this class, or sit them out.

Well, the lead's torso, shoulders, and arms are all supposed to move as a unit, more or less.  This always goes for standard (as I understand it), and it goes for anytime you are in closed frame in smooth.  It doesn't mean you won't feel anything in your right arm, but it should all move together.  A pitfall for beginning leads is the temptation to want to lead a forward movement (follow moving back) by pushing through the left arm. 

As for the original question... one way to avoid strain from having a follow that leans on you is to make sure that your shoulders are not forward.  Keep them pulled back and your shoulder blades centered on your spine, and you will be much stronger in your topline.  Doing this, I can survive two or three dances with a heavy follow (not the whole night, but a few dances) without problems.  And I must confess... I much prefer a follow who is a bit heavy to one with noodle arms.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 09:46:26 PM »

ah, the noodle armed woman.  The term always reminds me of Olive Oyle, popeye's girlfriend Smiley

didn't she dance tango with Blutto in one episode (sorry for the off topic, but who could resist with noodle arms?)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 02:28:15 AM »

I'm trying to figure out why anybody would describe "certain" parts as "undesirable".  Personally, I love 'em...

Ask the ladies about certain dangling male bits whilst wearing boxers instead of briefs and the get "the good feeling" coming over them at  a social dance...... get my drift?  Grin
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 02:36:31 AM by Vagabond » Logged

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 04:09:57 AM »

Just to change the topic slightly...

When dancing with a lot of the local social dancers I find that my arm gets pushed back in Waltz. After even just 15 seconds it starts to hurt, and a lot of the time it is the guys trying to lead with that arm casuing it to be pushed back, and so if I try and resist the push they just push harder! Finding a guy who doesn't do that is usually a high point of the night.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 06:50:15 AM »

I find that doing social progressives that a lot of men cannot do a chasses waltz...so it is really nice when you come across one that can.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 07:17:25 AM »

and a lot of the time it is the guys trying to lead with that arm causing it to be pushed back

The fact is that most of the dances you go to are attended by people that hardly ever had proper dancing lessons, they only received the basics. They were never taught how to hold their posture, frame and "what your space my space" means.

We went to a B&H Friday night class some weeks ago now and watched your coach giving a groups lesson, it was not of the highest standards not even close to intermediate as far as I’m concerned. Now a lot of people on this forum have some sort of private coaching at a regular base, if you want to progress you have to find a studio that will give you best value for money in group classes or have to find a way to get the money for private lessons.

And sometimes characters clash, you might find your pro fantastic but your partner can't get his head around a style or vice versa

All and all you need to see what will work for you as long as you acknowledge that good instructions doesn't come free or cheap.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:45:05 PM by Vagabond » Logged

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 07:24:58 AM »

I find that doing social progressives that a lot of men cannot do a chasses waltz...so it is really nice when you come across one that can.

Amen to that.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 10:20:23 AM »

When dancing with a lot of the local social dancers I find that my arm gets pushed back in Waltz. After even just 15 seconds it starts to hurt, and a lot of the time it is the guys trying to lead with that arm casuing it to be pushed back, and so if I try and resist the push they just push harder! Finding a guy who doesn't do that is usually a high point of the night.

Yes, that's what I am talking about. Feels especially bad if you're shorter than the guy.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 01:47:46 AM »

I hear this often and I am lucky I don't dance with too many different ones...rather not have an injury at this point in time.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 11:49:23 PM »

I'm taller than most of the men so don't get my arm pushed back even when I notice them doing it to other ladies.  The quick cure for that is to bend your wrist forward and it forces them to move their arm back and down.  Kind of like getting the upper hand in arm wrestling.  Just a bit, and subconsciously it takes their arm back.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 04:56:04 AM »

Yes, that's what I am talking about. Feels especially bad if you're shorter than the guy.
The biggest problem is that these guys are not taught any etiquette of dancing or even correct holds. Just try to avoid them and if they ask why, tell them, they might not be aware of it

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: