partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2015, 09:33:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
117017 Posts in 1875 Topics by 227 Members
Latest Member: scotlanddancer8
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Contact points
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Contact points  (Read 2637 times)
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 01:16:49 AM »

I just came back from the Championship Dance Camp outside of Washington.  Anna Mikhead did two lectures on 6 of the positions in dancing and used pictures and danced steps to show what they were and the importance of knowing them.  Ieva Pauksena also uses this in teaching. 

If I described all the things you had to learn to be able to take and pass a driving test you would feel overwhelmed and think it was way too much but I think I am safe to say you all drive.  Of course you don't think of all the things I wrote about at the same time, I just assumed you would understand this.  Just like driving you learn to do things a piece at a time until it becomes muscle memory or second nature. Just as in Latin you learn of all the compression points and use of the body and floor to create swing and movement.  Why do all the top Pros work on these body mechanics?  Because knowing how to use the body correctly is the difference between beautiful movement and just movement.  Louis Van Amstel and I were speaking together of this after his lecture and he was saying that lack of understanding of the body mechanics has become rampant but he refused to give in to what I call "instant gratification" Dancing when he teaches.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 11:03:42 PM »

yes sometimes I wonder if some of the top coaches who now teach mostly social (as is with our state) just forget about those things? You re right you cannot learn it all at once but I don't think it should take years either.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 12:05:39 AM »

sometimes I think the more information you receive the more clouded it becomes and you question everything.
I recently went to a competition and did not get back to the semi and watched those that made it through. What I noticed is that no-one is actually dancing to the music that is playing they are stepping the steps but not taking up the music itself, which was an interesting observation
thats more a judgement on the judges I think.  If they cared more about expression then the dancers would put more effort into interpretation but sadly its too much about athletics and too little about art. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 09:38:50 AM »

well it is an artistic sport done competitively they would not accept it from a ballet dancer neither should they take it from a ballroom dancer.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: