partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 09:38:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  About us and Welcome
| |-+  Newcomers (Moderators: QPO, cornutt, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Newbies to PDO
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Newbies to PDO  (Read 799 times)
elam63
Newcomer

« on: March 19, 2014, 11:47:09 PM »

Just want to say "hi" to everyone! Took a while to be accepted here, but glad I'm finally in.
I'm currently focusing on standard(Ballroom, I still like to call it "standard") with my amateur partner.
I used to love Latin too, but when I gets old I feel like I don't enjoy watching myself dancing Latin anymore. Standard is still ok, so I decide to quit competing in Latin and just focusing on Standard.

After 10 years of dancing and learning, I finally found out that standard is so hard.
1. What you see is not what you think, is not what peoples do. Sometimes what you think is probably totally wrong.
2. It takes many years to understand the meaning of one simple sentence or even one word that our teachers said.
3. Even it's such a hard and expensive hobby, but I still love it.

Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 01:55:17 AM »

Hello elam63, glad to have you here.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 02:04:52 AM »

You are so right.  If I had a buck for every time I have told people what you think they are doing is not what they are doing I would we wealthy.  They say that it takes ten years to finally understand what you are doing.  Of course understanding is still one thing and to be able to physically do is still another.  Learning to how to do the steps is easy, learning how to dance the steps is hard but lunderstanding the steps is even harder,  It takes years to gather the pieces of the puzzle, years more to put them together to create a picture and many more again to understand the picture they make. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:28:08 PM »

Welcome - sorry for the delay but the other side of the coin is that you will find a site with virtually no spam (if any) and no advertising.  That takes both effort and money from the organizers.

Very glad to have to have you join us and look forward to sharing ideas and observations.
ee

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elam63
Newcomer

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »

Glad to meet you all, looking forward to learn, discuss and share the knowledge and experience with everyone!   Cheesy
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 12:53:30 AM »

Hello to you sorry for the delay, busy training. Hope you enjoy the website and ask lots of questions Cheesy

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 02:12:02 AM »

.. and I'm on  lecture tour to Texas  "All my Texes are from Texas...."

Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:32:22 PM »

I am even later than you QPO to welcome elam63.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »

I guess I should also welcome our regulars. Smiley Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: