partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 09:14:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  'Your Side'
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 'Your Side'  (Read 3571 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: December 15, 2013, 08:28:06 AM »

This is an invaluable concept - that your left side (left side of the frame, male or female) is 'yours'.  Its not that you can do anything you like in there, perhaps it should be put more accurately that its your responsibility.  Of course you have to pay attention to your right side too - in particular your hand contact - but there you are more responding than active.  Thus the lady creates and maintains the space between the couple and her position on the left.  This gives the man confidence as to her location and security - and that she will readily respond.  That liberation will make the dancing more active and more confident.  The left side for the man is his window to movement and leading - and the hand contact is critical there since its his only physical contact between the couple that is dynamic and always maintained.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 07:43:10 AM »

I guess everyone agreed Smiley Tongue

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 04:04:17 PM »

I agree.  I try and help four or five of the teachers in London and one of the big Aha moments for them in Standard has been knowing and understanding the 9 Positions used in Standard and the 5 (some say 6) contact points between the couples.  With this information it is possiible to understand how two people can move as one and also allows the couple to understand why they are having problems executing moves. 

I tell competitiors that are coming up through the ranks that everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.  Each level of the syllabus is a chapter, each move a paragraph that builds your knowledge as you reach the end.  The other surprise is that what they will find, if they have really read the story, is that the syllabus is just the first book in a series that gets more indepth and furthers their knowledge with each one.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 03:14:05 AM »

I agree that the left side for a lady is pivotal to the partnership but it is from the hip right through, there must be an upward/outward pull to the left to maintain poise and posture.  But it is something that take time to develop everyone has to take baby steps and if you have a good foundation perhaps you can move through quickly.  Bt helping out in a beginners class I see most couples making the same mistakes and when the penny finally drops it is definitely an "Ahhhh" moment

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 04:31:36 AM »

I tell competitiors that are coming up through the ranks that everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.  Each level of the syllabus is a chapter, each move a paragraph that builds your knowledge as you reach the end.  The other surprise is that what they will find, if they have really read the story, is that the syllabus is just the first book in a series that gets more indepth and furthers their knowledge with each one.

So true - as it is in training for anything.  But you remember what it was like, syllabus seemed like bike training wheels, to be shed as fast as possible. Pretty funny that once you get to championship just about the only thing you really focus on is basics Cheesy

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »

I am like a broken record trying to tell people that the basics are the most important thing to work on.  Let's face it, almost all the most are a Natural or Reverse turn so would it not make sense to work on these basics that will help you everywhere compared to a few fancy steps that are used hardly anywhere.  We have taken people to our lessons and they have afterward commented that they thought they were going to see us do some really cool moves.  Instead we went over theory and spent four hours doing a couple of concepts in Standard and then in Latin.  Then again, this may be why they have been dancing for near 20 to 25 years and look no better than the first year. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 04:17:09 AM »

For sure.  The most enlightening thing to do if you are a ballroom dancer is to watch world champions dance basic.  Frankly, its also the most beautiful dancing of all.  I saw a tape of Edita and Mirko dancing basic forxtrot I think - but the one that springs to mind is Luca.  Total harmony of two people moving to music.  Grace.  Such dancing is rarely if ever seen in championship routines. 

And when you watch that you have to wonder - what the heck is ballroom doing as a sport?

[R: did you see the new topic I started with your 'points of contact' statement? ]

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 01:56:22 AM »

I hadn't, I'll check it out.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 02:01:37 AM »

Where on the boards is it e?

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 03:35:05 AM »

Where on the boards is it e?
Its at: http://partnerdanceonline.com/index.php?topic=2453.0
or search for 'contact points'

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 07:56:10 AM »

[Q: moved your message to the new 'contact points' topic]

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 10:59:35 AM »

I don't buy the concept of a side.  Visually, sure, it looks like you have a "side" that's uninhibited, but that's like saying that if I carry a briefcase in my right hand then the only side I have to call my own is the left, because for whatever reason my right side requires less attention.  If I, for even a second, think that, I'd start to move really laboriously and quite unattractively. Chances are, my briefcase won't feel the love either.  If the man doesn't pay attention to sides and moves his entire body naturally, in my opinion, there couldn't be a stronger and clearer lead.  When I dance with a woman who's entire body, both sides, isn't filled to the brim with chi, it's a terrible feeling: I asked a whole lady to dance, why am I getting cheated with only 50%?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:08:57 PM by elisedance » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 11:09:53 PM »

I don't buy the concept of a side.  Visually, sure, it looks like you have a "side" that's uninhibited, but that's like saying that if I carry a briefcase in my right hand then the only side I have to call my own is the left, because for whatever reason my right side requires less attention.  If I, for even a second, think that, I'd start to move really laboriously and quite unattractively. Chances are, my briefcase won't feel the love either.  If the man doesn't pay attention to sides and moves his entire body naturally, in my opinion, there couldn't be a stronger and clearer lead.  When I dance with a woman who's entire body, both sides, isn't filled to the brim with chi, it's a terrible feeling: I asked a whole lady to dance, why am I getting cheated with only 50%?

I like the philosopy SG - but it belies the actual situation.  Isn't a bit like driving a car up both sides of the road?  Doesn't work too well.  The fact is that ballroom dancing couples do not line up  face to face but do so to each other's side.  Thus, 'side' is an intrinsic part of (standard) ballroom dance.  Granted one has to be aware of one's whole body and clearly the lead can't only lead his side Smiley but we move forward and back (mostly) on the same side of our partners and hence, that can be regarded as each person's side.

[interesting question if 'side' changes for the few figures - the Wing for example - where you find yourself on the other 'side'....

[ps your post wasn't edited, I hit the wrong button!]

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 07:52:22 AM »

I wonder then if using the space that man creates on his right side more than his side.. I find that if I stay to the right and the man shapes that it feels more fluid, rather than staying in front of the man it becomes more labored.

I have found that our dancing is developing more freedom. It is a bit like acting, there has to be an element of trust and letting go.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 04:08:12 PM »

I'm a firm believer in form following function, especially as it relates to ballroom dancing.  So while side is an observed phenomenon, I believe it's a direct result of the correct actions required to allow the proper functions.  As such, form becomes a result, and more importantly, an illusion, and of course you know that talking to a Body Schooler about result (as opposed to actions necessary to obtain the result) is a complete waste of time.   Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: