partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 07:28:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Returning after a break from dancing
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Returning after a break from dancing  (Read 2665 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: November 30, 2013, 07:03:04 PM »

I used to be scared of taking a break for fear that it would set me back so far that I would be disillusioned and unable to start again.  I guess this can happen but I wonder how long it takes?

Today I had my first dance lesson - indeed, my first dance, for 6 months and to my utter amazement it felt as if nothing was lost.  to be honest I felt as if I was dancing better than before because I did not have to think about it.  Its well established that learned behaviours somehow become integrated with a period of rest - but we are usually talking about overnight.  Perhaps this can occur on a much larger scale (meaning more learning) with a longer gap?  Or maybe you just forget the inhibitory behaviours that were preventing you from integration.

I've no idea.  On the other hand, I also changed partners  so maybe that was a big factor - being more open minded to a new approach.  Whatever, I wish to report that not only can a break be recovered from, one might even benefit from it!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 04:01:54 PM »

So good to have you back.  Are you doing Pro / Am or, fingers crossed is there a new partner on your arm, dance one I mean.

I know how you feel about the rest.  I remember when we were in Silver and had one more comp to win out.  Anne Harding asked, since the Latin was going to be cancelled due to only my partner and I showing up (normally there was about 8 of us but for some reason they all bailed at the last minute, if we wanted to try Gold.  We thought WTH but as we were on deck and the last dance of the previous group was going on my DP turned to me and said he never thought about it but we have to dance the Foxtrot.  It never even dawned on us at the time and we had not dance a Foxtrot, even for fun, in about two years.  Well, my DP said he kind of remembered our Bronze Foxtrot and since our Foxtrot was not our best dance we didn't hope for much.  Surprise, surprise, it was the best Foxtrot we ever did and we came fourth out of 10 couples and we beat most of them in the Foxtrot.  I guess staying away from it we forgot about all the problems we dwelled on and the worries and so were able to dance much more freely.  My DP even remembered the routine and as Elise can attest there really must have been a blue moon that evening.  We won the Silver so we won out so Gold it was from that point forward.     

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 05:59:38 PM »

Great story R Smiley  See, you should have just stuck to the simple routines - the judges only see the whole thing if its uncontested anyway otherwise they see an occasional glimpse so its fine to just repeat the same 8 step sequence over and over Cheesy

I'm back with Anton - its not the fun of the amateur competition scene but its certainly the highest quality dancing I'll ever aspire to.  Each lesson is an eye opener as to what is possible and who could ask for a better lead...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 02:54:47 AM »

Good fpr you.  Anton is a good height and has a lot of experience and is up to date.  I think you will have a great time with him.  Glad to have you back in the game.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 08:48:44 AM »

Good fpr you.  Anton is a good height and has a lot of experience and is up to date.  I think you will have a great time with him.  Glad to have you back in the game.

I've never learned so much and so deeply.  Practical dancing - as in practical that works.  The only problem of course is that Anton will soon be the only lead I can - or want to - dance with in our area.  But who cares, its not about competing really anymore (not that I won't) its really about learning a moving art...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 04:34:55 AM »

I know how you feel E and I so agree!!.  We have been focusing on body mechanics and the art of dancing and all the reasons for why things are done, not just because that is how they are done.  It is not what you would focus on to complete since it is in-depth and takes so much time to not just learn but understand too but I would not trade it for a National Title!! I still want to compete but not at the cost of this type of learning.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 03:18:34 AM »

I have had to had a few breaks during my time and I also felt that I did not go backwards....I think sometimes it has more muscle memory that we think. I am not scared of having breaks any more.

Although during the xmas break I did not dance at all and found it took a week to  get my leg to do the right thing. once it id the rest fell in  place. so I cant stop completely without having issues with the old legs Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 04:29:26 AM »

well, I'm on another break.  At this point I'm not sure if I will ever go back.  I am however, trying to stay in shape - indeed improve but must find a way to keep the body limber as well as fit.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 04:48:55 PM »

Did it not work out e??

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 04:11:32 AM »

It was going fine AL is a wonderful dancer and teacher - but lacked any kind of objective for me.  Neither of us seemed that enthused with pro-am - and I can't afford that kind of money right now with my other interests anyway.  While looking for an Am partner (which I would still do) is frankly hopeless.  There are virtually no men tall enough and with even a modicum of training that would dance with me.  So it goes into the category of 'accept that which you can not change'...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 12:36:51 AM »

so frustrating when you cant find someone to dance with. I know that If I did not have V that it is over for me as well. but I am learning to tech now and that is where I will be heading so I can stay engaged in this wonderful sport.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 05:41:34 AM »

so frustrating when you cant find someone to dance with. I know that If I did not have V that it is over for me as well. but I am learning to tech now and that is where I will be heading so I can stay engaged in this wonderful sport.
I find that competing - specifically with an Am - is really the only thing driving me to stay in dance.  Without it I follow the scores a bit but have not much interest in social dancing or hanging out at the studio.  I love to do something creative so now gravitate to my violin.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 02:48:10 AM »

There are a few other ladies looking too but for them it is distance from the main dance scene that keeps them from finding anyone.  One is a really good Gold in both Latin and Standard and would be one of the best catches for any guy but she is about four hours from Toronto and so to get a partner from there would be tough.  Since there are no guys outside of Toronto for her to compete with she is stuck.  She is better than any of the ladies in Gold on the circuit right now but she sits and it seems that her chances will remain slim for now.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 08:17:58 AM »

I feel for her.  I've started looking at alternatives...

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »

I think you can learn more off the floor than on.  The floor can be used as a test-drive, occasionally, to see if things have improved, but other than that, I don't believe that being off for even a year would make you lose anything, other than a little stamina, maybe... But you can get that back in a week or two if you needed to. This is only for the folks who believe dancing is walking: to the folks who ascribe to the thought pattern that dancing is bunch of unnatural unrelated-to-gender movements (men and women practicing the same hip movements and posture: shudder!) will obviously have to spend more time doing the unnatural in a dance studio where they won't be mistaken in public for employees of the Ministry of Silly Walks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: