partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2015, 09:54:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116893 Posts in 1873 Topics by 224 Members
Latest Member: Hobby Dancer
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Pro-Am Pro & Distance
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Pro-Am Pro & Distance  (Read 4825 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 10:13:33 AM »

So are you guys quitting cold turkey or just taking a break for a while?  I think you mentioned doing some teaching as a possibility. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 01:36:13 AM »

So are you guys quitting cold turkey or just taking a break for a while?  I think you mentioned doing some teaching as a possibility. 

I think a break is better. need to regroup I think we have the six year itch! not getting the results that you would like, questioning the expense to the results is a dangerous thing Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 07:14:50 AM »

I think a break is better. need to regroup I think we have the six year itch! not getting the results that you would like, questioning the expense to the results is a dangerous thing Tongue

For sure - but that's true of every thing we choose to do in life.  The only important question really is how much do you need to do it?  I struggled with that too when deciding to stop competing - basically, "is dance something I must have, or is it something I can live without?" 

If its something you must have then, really, results should be immaterial.  I competed against a couple that came last.  Always came last - indeed I doubt they ever got more than one or two call backs - but they kept on because they loved it.  And when you come down to it thats what any art form should be, something you are compelled to do, something you would continue to do even if you were locked in a prison and noone could see your art.

Some guy
Silver

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 04:34:46 PM »

I quit cold turkey.  I didn't like cold turkey.  I'm much more of a hot pastrami kinda guy.  Tongue
Some guy
Silver

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 04:36:21 PM »

More seriously, I hit the 6-year itch too in dance, and but I used it to regroup and try another approach.  In my case it was the Body School.

Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result... you know what they say.

Try doing something different.  There are other options in ballroom.  Many schools of thought.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2015, 05:20:25 PM »

More seriously, I hit the 6-year itch too in dance, and but I used it to regroup and try another approach.  In my case it was the Body School.

Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result... you know what they say.

Try doing something different.  There are other options in ballroom.  Many schools of thought.
Yup, my other option was... to pick up my violin Cheesy

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 08:15:41 AM »

yes there are other ways but you have to be able to find people that can guide you through the other way. I am concentrating on myself and my partner can worry about himself.  I know that sounds selfish but I need to be able to do things on my own and not need him at all.

I agree you cant keep doing the same things if you expect better results, so we will talk with coaches and articulate our concerns.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Some guy
Silver

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2015, 06:44:35 PM »

That's really smart that you have come to that realization and are looking at it objectively.  If you've been doing it for years and your placings and rankings are not much higher than where they were, you should definitely ask why that is.  Most coaches are quick to say, "oh that's because you don't practice 24/7", but that's garbage. 

I know people who became who became national champions hitting the floor less than 5 hours a week.  It's not the quantity of how much practice you do on the floor, it's the quality of the information you're actually practicing with. 

I know a lot of folks who have danced 15-20yrs and have only gone up in their rankings one or two placings, if that, and are still stuck in bronze or silver. It boggles my mind why they don't ask how a 12-year old can go from nothing, to crawling, to walking, to running, to dancing and then winning a junior event, and they have school and homework: they don't practice 24/7.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: