partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:41:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Viennese Waltz
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Viennese Waltz  (Read 5889 times)
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »

Hi Pruthe.. Your confusion is fairly standard here. It is unfortanate (or fortunate, depending on how you look at it) that whilst our technique states something does occur, it rarely says how much. It is true that CBM does occur, but it isn't a tool to intiate turn, it just happens.

Thanks. Perhaps the intensity of CBM is less in this dance vs other dances. That might accommodate a slower initial rotation, followed by a faster rotation at the end. Still thinking about it.

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2009, 02:12:41 AM »

And ED, yo keep referring to me as TT. Though I know and respect TT, this is TD (like ED, you know?   Cheesy  )

oops!  Well, its not so bad as we don't have a TT here Roll Eyes  Just put it down to my dyslexia - or maybe its my lazyness, two Ts are easier to type than a T and a D Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2009, 03:03:31 AM »

Hi Pruthe.. Your confusion is fairly standard here. It is unfortanate (or fortunate, depending on how you look at it) that whilst our technique states something does occur, it rarely says how much. It is true that CBM does occur, but it isn't a tool to intiate turn, it just happens.

Agreed.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2009, 06:01:24 AM »

...but istn't it a tool to complete the turn?  At least for the lady...

Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »

...but istn't it a tool to complete the turn?  At least for the lady...
Or merely physics. Remember Newtons 1st law of motion ~ A body at rest stays at rest, and a body in motion stays in motion, unless it is acted on by an external force

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2009, 01:52:45 AM »

well, where we live there is always gravity, so that takes care of the force... and with two dancers going together there is virtually always one that resists motion so thats another force. 

Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2009, 03:03:25 AM »

well, where we live there is always gravity, so that takes care of the force... and with two dancers going together there is virtually always one that resists motion so thats another force. 
Hence the notion of an "external force".

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2009, 02:05:24 AM »

VW has been working much better for us. I am trying really hard to go forward and under my partner rather than around, I find I am less dizzy and controlled. I am very happy with that, I know it will also help our other swing dances in NV

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2009, 06:30:26 AM »

Finally got a student to combine forward/forward - back/back steps w/ body flight from the swing/glide through the core/hips. Thought I was going to give up, when...voila!

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2009, 08:03:47 PM »

Did a VW last Friday with a young lady who had never done it before.  And the interesting is -- it actually worked pretty well!  A VW played, and I was scouting around for a partner, and I asked her.  She said sorry, she'd never done it before.  So I said, "Why don't you let me show the basics, and then we'll see if we can do a little bit."  She said okay, so I showed her how to do the cross, and I explained about the passing partner and the partner being passed.  We got in a corner of the dance floor and did a couple of left and right turns, and she seemed to be OK with it, so I said, "Let's go around the floor once and see how it goes."  I kept it simple, alternating left and right turns and no fancy stuff.  And I'll be darned if she didn't dance it, and much better than I expected.  Certainly better than I did the first time I danced VW!  We wound up dancing the rest of the song, and she was glowing afterwards.  That made my night.   Wink
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2009, 11:19:28 PM »

Did a VW last Friday with a young lady who had never done it before.  And the interesting is -- it actually worked pretty well!  A VW played, and I was scouting around for a partner, and I asked her.  She said sorry, she'd never done it before.  So I said, "Why don't you let me show the basics, and then we'll see if we can do a little bit."  She said okay, so I showed her how to do the cross, and I explained about the passing partner and the partner being passed.  We got in a corner of the dance floor and did a couple of left and right turns, and she seemed to be OK with it, so I said, "Let's go around the floor once and see how it goes."  I kept it simple, alternating left and right turns and no fancy stuff.  And I'll be darned if she didn't dance it, and much better than I expected.  Certainly better than I did the first time I danced VW!  We wound up dancing the rest of the song, and she was glowing afterwards.  That made my night.   Wink

You did a perfect job as a teacher. Wink You explained it in simple terms and then danced it with her. You didn’t allow her to get all technical. Well done C. Cheesy I am glad that it made both your day. Cheesy Now you know what a teacher feels like when a student gets it. Wink Wonderful isn’t it.   Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »

Thanks!  And yes, it sure is!   Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2009, 01:09:33 AM »

VW has become a lot easier for me ever since I make sure I 'give my arms' (really my shoulder blades move out) to my partner throughout, in particular on step 2.  If you pull back at all it will throw him right off. 

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2009, 11:11:47 AM »

VW has become a lot easier for me ever since I make sure I 'give my arms' (really my shoulder blades move out) to my partner throughout, in particular on step 2.  If you pull back at all it will throw him right off. 

I've had it explained to me a bit differently, as "keeping your leading side towards the partner", or to be even more basic, "stay the heck in frame".   Roll Eyes  Oddly, I've had more of a problem with this in right turns.  My left turns are pretty good now, but I still have to work to keep my left side towards my partner in a right turn. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2009, 08:50:05 PM »

Its that - and more.  I keep my leading side to my partner and I also enhance when I'm on the outside - but then there is this 'giving' thats sort of expanding the distance between my shoulder blades on top of that...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: