partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 02:56:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Viennese Waltz
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Viennese Waltz  (Read 5550 times)
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 03:58:37 PM »

If you move your body in the right direction the feet will close without "popping". Move the body and let the feet be moved.

I just got this recently.  The Viennese is a dream to dance now. 
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 04:04:50 PM »

my biggest problem with the VW is the "swaying" of the hips. I look like I am "popping" like popcorn when I do the VW and my pro always ends up giggling at me.

So a friend showed me a bit of what to do at Nationals, and while I could "feel" what she was showing me, I had a bit of difficulty "retaining" what I was shown.

HELP

I love popcorn  but not in the VW. Maybe you are trying to close you feet (I am sure many are going to think I just lost my mind).

If you move your body in the right direction the feet will close without "popping". Move the body and let the feet be moved.

Dang it Dora....if I could've retained what you showed me. (please imagine me banging my head on the wall right now!)

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »

And BTW, I never lead more than two lefts in a row.  Baaaaaaaad things happen when I try to do three lefts.   Shocked

Ha!  Bad things happen for me when I have to do a long sequence of right turns.  Left turns are easy, just straight down the floor.  Tongue
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 03:16:41 AM »

Dang it Dora....if I could've retained what you showed me. (please imagine me banging my head on the wall right now!)

Now, I understand why you have headaches. Wink...... You can my dear. You have a recording (memory file) of everything you have ever done. All you need to do is go back in you mind. If you need help let me know.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 03:10:38 PM »

my biggest problem with the VW is the "swaying" of the hips. I look like I am "popping" like popcorn when I do the VW and my pro always ends up giggling at me.

So a friend showed me a bit of what to do at Nationals, and while I could "feel" what she was showing me, I had a bit of difficulty "retaining" what I was shown.

HELP

I love popcorn  but not in the VW. Maybe you are trying to close you feet (I am sure many are going to think I just lost my mind).

It is not easy.  I haven't done VW in months and would probably be joining you popping out of it!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 03:12:42 PM »

Now, I understand why you have headaches. Wink...... You can my dear. You have a recording (memory file) of everything you have ever done. All you need to do is go back in you mind. If you need help let me know.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! me remember PLEASE! (and to top it off I WAS so exhausted that day you showed me. LOL)

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 05:56:50 PM »

The Viennese waltz. It the dance that tests most people.....I have yet to do it without getting dizzy. I know that it is to be dance straight through and not to be circular  but that is easier said than done. Help Smiley
SPOT, SPOT and spot again! Just know the straight line direction of your spine. Try really listening to the music, breath and you will understand how slow it really is.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 10:18:26 AM »

The Viennese waltz. It the dance that tests most people.....I have yet to do it without getting dizzy. I know that it is to be dance straight through and not to be circular  but that is easier said than done. Help Smiley
SPOT, SPOT and spot again! Just know the straight line direction of your spine. Try really listening to the music, breath and you will understand how slow it really is.

I look forward to having that experience of a VW to be slow....then I know I am doing well in my dancing  Smiley

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 12:54:49 PM »

Maybe we should play some high action video games and then do V.Waltz. That might make things appear to move more slowly. Just a thought. :-)

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 05:07:40 AM »

well I am prepared to give anything a try :-)

Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 09:07:56 PM »

Maybe we should play some high action video games and then do V.Waltz. That might make things appear to move more slowly. Just a thought. :-)

Good one pruthe. One could also only count the driving beat instead of every beat.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 03:02:12 AM »

Good one pruthe. One could also only count the driving beat instead of every beat.
[/quote]

I think this is a good idea...I know that I get confused in the counting.....tend to listen to the wrong beat.

Dance Forum
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 08:57:34 AM »

Do you have a pitch control on the music system?  Perhaps you could slow the music WAAAAAY down (so it sounds distoted). Then walk your patterns. When this is comfortable, make it a bit faster.....and so on.

It takes 15 minutes a day for 21 days to create a new pattern. And you are capable of doing this!
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 09:15:25 AM »

Viennese Waltz is the symbol of happiness, that was what Strauss I & II and Lanner intended it to be when they wrote their greatest compositions. An der schönen blauen Donau, Wiener Blut, Wiener Frauen etc. attest of vigour and youthful enthusiasm and they drive the "swing" so profoundly.

Whatever DJ are playing now at comps. the origin of the VW is one of hope not of doom and gloom, that why it was called the music that prevented the Viennese revolution

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 10:40:05 AM »

Do you have a pitch control on the music system?  Perhaps you could slow the music WAAAAAY down (so it sounds distoted). Then walk your patterns. When this is comfortable, make it a bit faster.....and so on.

It takes 15 minutes a day for 21 days to create a new pattern. And you are capable of doing this!

Thanks for that it is a very good suggestion and V & I will try this when we are training.

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: