partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 01:56:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Viennese Waltz
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Viennese Waltz  (Read 5886 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: April 24, 2009, 07:52:52 AM »

The Viennese waltz. It the dance that tests most people.....I have yet to do it without getting dizzy. I know that it is to be dance straight through and not to be circular  but that is easier said than done. Help Smiley

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:45:37 AM »

It might help to try and visually focus on something in room when moving in forward or back direction. This would be done without moving your head from basic dance position. And like you said, trying not to be too rotary when moving forward and back (i.e. on step 1).

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »

Yes we have managed to be able to fine for the first two complete cycles and then it starts to go array....I have also been told that the first forward step your hips must go forward and underneath (if you can visualize that), so it goes forward, forward then turn and cross. Then Back side close which must be small. but when it is traveling I can never get it to be that small.

Dance Forum
Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:42:14 AM »

Try alternating left and right turns?  Also dance some balance steps once every circuit of the floor if possible.  That helps me some.

Yes.  Quite.
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »

Yes we have managed to be able to fine for the first two complete cycles and then it starts to go array....I have also been told that the first forward step your hips must go forward and underneath (if you can visualize that), so it goes forward, forward then turn and cross. Then Back side close which must be small. but when it is traveling I can never get it to be that small.

Yes, I can understand how things get harder after more cycles. For me, fatigue affects my technique after a while, so I'm trying to build up my endurance. I don't know about the hip forward and under thing. Maybe someone else could comment on that, but it seems to me that that could cause some strain in lower back and hip. Moving backward is hard for me too, and my current focus when moving backward is in rotating the hip while pointing. Again, maybe someone else has comments on this.

A.S.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 10:27:32 AM »

my biggest problem with the VW is the "swaying" of the hips. I look like I am "popping" like popcorn when I do the VW and my pro always ends up giggling at me.

So a friend showed me a bit of what to do at Nationals, and while I could "feel" what she was showing me, I had a bit of difficulty "retaining" what I was shown.

HELP

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 10:32:40 AM »

if this is an unwanted sway (i'm not too familar with the viennese waltz) then concerntrate on having both your knees at the same height, even a slight difference makes a dramatic difference in the hips

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 11:24:38 AM »

if this is an unwanted sway (i'm not too familar with the viennese waltz) then concerntrate on having both your knees at the same height, even a slight difference makes a dramatic difference in the hips

Zac

lol .... I NEED to learn to sway. NOT POP.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 10:39:37 PM »

I am having trouble visualizing the difference between a pop and a sway.

Our coach says to feed your hips forward. if you stand with knees slightly bent, then put both your hands on your hip bones with the thumbs facing the front and the remaining fingers on your rump. tilt the hips forward and back as you would instructed to do a pelivc floor tilt (for the ladies I think they would know what I mean)

When I say hips forward I mean exactly like if you would do the above.

He says feed your hips forward (on the forward, forward) before turning to cross. Most people rotate the hips sideways like you would if you pivot or go to step across your partner.

I hope I have described it clearly... Having said that I struggle with the execution of it even though I know what he wants.  Undecided

Zac

Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 10:51:12 PM »

well, i tried Tongue

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 11:46:46 AM »

Our coach says to feed your hips forward. if you stand with knees slightly bent, then put both your hands on your hip bones with the thumbs facing the front and the remaining fingers on your rump. tilt the hips forward and back as you would instructed to do a pelivc floor tilt (for the ladies I think they would know what I mean)

When I say hips forward I mean exactly like if you would do the above.

He says feed your hips forward (on the forward, forward) before turning to cross. Most people rotate the hips sideways like you would if you pivot or go to step across your partner.

I hope I have described it clearly... Having said that I struggle with the execution of it even though I know what he wants.  Undecided

It sounds like your pro has a particular style of doing VW. I haven't heard about hips forward approach before. Different pros have different styles. If you feel strain or pain in lower back/hips, I would suggest to mention to pro and see if something can be done to correct. Good luck!

pruthe

A.S.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »

If I understand what you're saying, it should come from a bit higher up -- the side of your torso.  You probably know this, but we don't "release" the hips in standard/smooth the way we do in Latin. 

However, I've also been taught that the VW left turn should be done with minimal sway.  Only the right turn should have sway. 

And BTW, I never lead more than two lefts in a row.  Baaaaaaaad things happen when I try to do three lefts.   Shocked
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 03:54:15 AM »

I'm not very familiar with the Viennese Waltz - I only know the basic step, but because of that (no oppurtunities to change direction!) I get veeeeeery dizzy. We've tried to pick up the link step by watching others but my body doesn't want to suddenly start spinning the other way.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 06:42:02 AM »

Yes I think that it needs to change more rather than going down one side of a room doing one direction.... But we dont have to do the dance yet and will will work on it in the coming months, I am sure

Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 12:00:54 PM »

my biggest problem with the VW is the "swaying" of the hips. I look like I am "popping" like popcorn when I do the VW and my pro always ends up giggling at me.

So a friend showed me a bit of what to do at Nationals, and while I could "feel" what she was showing me, I had a bit of difficulty "retaining" what I was shown.

HELP

I love popcorn  but not in the VW. Maybe you are trying to close you feet (I am sure many are going to think I just lost my mind).

If you move your body in the right direction the feet will close without "popping". Move the body and let the feet be moved.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: