partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 03:50:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116405 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  loyalty vs learning
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: loyalty vs learning  (Read 284 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: October 02, 2013, 05:58:05 AM »

This came up from Rugby's comment on changing studio/coaches when you reach the point of 'diminishing returns'. 

Thus, you take lessons with a (in this case usually very nice) coach but gradually you seem to be learning less and less.  And you figure out that you are reaching the limit of the coach.  How do you decide?  And worse, how do you actually move without trauma?

I've been at that point only a couple of times but it surely was one of the hardest decisions that I had to make.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
StageKat
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 10:37:37 PM »

Oh this is an interesting one!! I tend to be very loyal to the dance instructors I've had. Shortly before my hiatus I had an issue where I was the only student this pro had that was advanced Bronze. So I ended up learning with and teaching him for three lessons before I came to my senses and had to pick up another pro fro the studio "test".

Currently I'm with a pro that is very experienced on the teaching side, (10+years) so I think I have quite a bit more to learn before it becomes an issue of my loyalty biting off my nose to spite my education. :-)

Ballroom Dancing Changed My Life... It's as Simple as That.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 11:59:10 PM »

Oh this is an interesting one!! I tend to be very loyal to the dance instructors I've had. Shortly before my hiatus I had an issue where I was the only student this pro had that was advanced Bronze. So I ended up learning with and teaching him for three lessons before I came to my senses and had to pick up another pro fro the studio "test".

Currently I'm with a pro that is very experienced on the teaching side, (10+years) so I think I have quite a bit more to learn before it becomes an issue of my loyalty biting off my nose to spite my education. :-)

Yes, definitely a month or two Grin Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: