partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 11:10:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Social dance only for the child-free?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Social dance only for the child-free?  (Read 344 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: July 25, 2013, 08:10:25 AM »

I remember, years ago, participating in an online discussion about what dance communities (I think we were talking about USADance chapters) could do to encourage more participation.   At the time, DS was 9 or 10 and babysitting was a major issue for me.  So I suggested that dance organizers could hire a babysitter, set up a room, and let the parents who wanted to take advantage share the expense.

And I got my hide torn off, especially by a person that I like and respect, even now.  They were child free by choice.  Their view was that, when people decided to have children, their children become their problem and that the dance community has no obligation to accommodate their needs.   Need a babysitter?  then get one. Why should dance organizers have to provide?

So I shut my mouth and found myself a babysitter.

Then I started thinking.  How many really active dancers do I know that have young or even not-so-young children?  Almost all the dancers that I know are either early in their careers and don't have kids yet or have reached the stage where the kids are out of the house, so they can have fun on their own, now that the kids are gone.

Which means that there's a twenty-year period in there where most people don't dance, at least not in the serious dance circles with which I am most familiar.  It seems like a part of the culture.  Have kids?  Give up dancing. Done.

So what's the deal?  Dance is only for people without kids underfoot?  Or is there a better way?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:04:59 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: