partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 12:25:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Quickstep
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Quickstep  (Read 6322 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2010, 10:35:52 PM »

I have some bounce problems with my everyday bras, but not with my competition dresses. Somehow they provide a lot more support. So I when I practice anything that makes my boobs bounce, I remember that it's not going to be as much of an issue when I am wearing cups which come close to tupperware.

Also, I've been working on some of those advanced quickstep moves and my teacher told me to isolate the feet more - keep the upper body quiet and let the feet do the work. That helps with speed, too, especially when the timing is q&q&.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2010, 01:42:53 AM »

Heh, DSV, you make me laugh ^^
I'll try the spring thing.

ttd: my comp dresses aren't cool enough to have tons of bra support. For my division, it has to be street wear, and so I wear an ordinary sports bra underneath. I might have to see about wearing two if I can't get the springing action rigt.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2010, 05:45:10 AM »

Beginners, not saying you are, often make the mistake of doing too much on particularly hops, skips, and jumps.

Much of a woodpecker energy is absorbed through the legs--thus it shouldn't translate too much into your upper torso.

When you are dancing these movemnets, pay attention that you are executing the actions from the ankles, and not the legs. This stops the unwanted bouncing up and down, and keeps the legs free for absorbing whatever residual movement that needs to be.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »

I'm definitely a beginner. Especially in relation to everyone else.

Would it be better to practise these things in front of a mirror or just against a wall? Would a mirror be too distracting, or would it help detect bounce?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2010, 07:09:50 PM »

Sorry to be a wet blanket and sound like a school-maam, but I think you might do far better by working on basic technique rather than acquire bad habits with open-level steps.... 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2010, 11:34:13 PM »

Sorry to be a wet blanket and sound like a school-maam, but I think you might do far better by working on basic technique rather than acquire bad habits with open-level steps.... 

this is a basic step in Oz Smiley  taught in all beginner classes social and otherwise - mm
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2010, 05:48:50 AM »

Is it?

Either way, it's probably not going in our comp routine for a while. We just wanted new figures (current quickstep is ridiculously basic). As we're doing it socially I want to be able to do it comfortably and without the need for mountains of support.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2010, 06:22:51 AM »

this is a basic step in Oz Smiley  taught in all beginner classes social and otherwise - mm
Well, it certainly is fun and excellent jumping-jack excersize Cheesy  I hope I didn't sound too pompous

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2010, 08:46:45 AM »

Not at all Smiley
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2010, 12:33:30 PM »

It takes time to get used to moving so fast. I am working on some of the advanced quickstep moves, and my teacher told me to make sure that I practice them to music, too, so that I get used to the speed, before we can add them to our repertoire. Definitely makes for a good cardio workout, no wonder I lost some weight since I started working on them.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2010, 07:39:13 PM »

My trouble is that I have a bad joint in my right foot - and it reallydoes not like QS.  OTOH dancing gets a LOT easier if I just loose 5lbs or so(guess what I'm doing right now Undecided )

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2010, 07:19:02 AM »

Man I'm having trouble counting scatter chasses!

Q & Q & Q &

or Q Q Q Q Q Q

Huh
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2010, 07:21:59 AM »

Q & Q & Q &

or Q Q Q Q Q Q

Huh
I vote for number 1 (DP counts them, I just do them) Smiley

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2010, 11:24:46 AM »

Q & Q & Q &

or Q Q Q Q Q Q

Huh

We do Q & Q & <S or  Q Q> Two things happen on the S - step and hop to turn and change direction. I can count each of them as Q - step  Q -hop, But if I count those two actions as one (S), it reminds me that this is my time to recollect and be prepared to what comes next.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2010, 02:50:26 AM »

ttd... excellent!

We just wanted new figures (current quickstep is ridiculously basic).

Your point is well understood, but there is so much more that can spice up a beg. QS that would be much more relevant to your learning curve, and still fun to explore. I would look into these.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: