partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 01:33:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Quickstep
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Quickstep  (Read 6533 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: April 24, 2009, 07:50:30 AM »

We have heard from others the dangers of costume disasters in this dance...what needs to be considered when doing a great quickstep?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 09:54:06 AM »

Dance a good chasse' on your basic step.  Make sure you get around the lady on natural turns.  Stay squared up with each other.  (This is bronze level as I've been taught and I'm a newb to QS although I danced one showcase last December.)

Yes.  Quite.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 09:58:49 AM »

Yes our routine is also at a bronze level.....We did not focus on QS but I am sure some of the body control will carry over, but as you mentioned chasses are very important that they are done into the floor and not on top as it would look like you are jumping or bobbling

Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 09:45:01 AM »

"haste does not equate to speed" in my opinion this is very true to quickstep, when dancing quickstep it it important to not lose the integrity of the dance in haste, it is one thing that i see on a regular basis

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 11:53:45 AM »

"haste does not equate to speed" in my opinion this is very true to quickstep, when dancing quickstep it it important to not lose the integrity of the dance in haste, it is one thing that i see on a regular basis

Yup.  When I first started, my instructor had to repeatedly tell me to relax and dance.  Makes a world of difference.

Yes.  Quite.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 06:40:01 AM »

The thing I am trying to achieve in quickstep is the smoothness and not the bobbling up and down. It has improved greatly but still have a long way to go, the routine is simple but still need to keep control of our own space and to do it in synchronizity.

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 07:01:37 AM »

Quickstep is actually NOT that quick.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 11:54:48 AM »

Quickstep is actually NOT that quick.

I agree

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 09:53:13 PM »

It may not be quick but it feels like it on occasions and this is what we need to learn.

Dance Forum
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »

dont wear skirt too long, avoid these with wires, if your heels stuck into the hem wires, you can fall on floor.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 04:39:33 AM »

The thing I am trying to achieve in quickstep is the smoothness and not the bobbling up and down. It has improved greatly but still have a long way to go, the routine is simple but still need to keep control of our own space and to do it in synchronizity.

the crucial thing is to transfer the body and not the legs.  I am being taught to keep my body weight between the legs at all times.  that gives you the best stability and control.  QS is NOT just fast foxtrot its quite different...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 07:39:02 AM »

I always think of foxtrot when I dance QS.It is that word quick that seems to be everyones undoing.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 07:41:46 AM »

IMO Foxtrot and Quickstep are two extremely different dances.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 10:44:59 AM »

the crucial thing is to transfer the body and not the legs.  I am being taught to keep my body weight between the legs at all times.  that gives you the best stability and control.  QS is NOT just fast foxtrot its quite different...

I agree with that. it is in a different place...and I will try to be more centered. I need to compress more and I am trying hard to maintain it through out all my dancing

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »

IMO Foxtrot and Quickstep are two extremely different dances.

ditto - though I have heard that the former is derived originally from the latter....
(I'm very cautious about these stories now having been corrected several times !)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: