partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 07:10:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Tango (ballroom)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Tango (ballroom)  (Read 7656 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: April 24, 2009, 07:46:46 AM »

International Tango is quite unique in that it is the only dance of the standard dances that is danced with no foot rise (not sure if that is correct) and is danced in the lowered position.  Lets discuss Tango here.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:00:51 AM by elisedance » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:55:25 AM »

i think the most important aspect to convey with a tango is the intensity of the dance, as Neil Rosenfeld has said "move like a tiger and strike like a snake"

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 09:35:12 AM »

Yes but how do you achieve that.....One of my coaches says that you have to dance like the roof is only a few inches above your head when you are in tango position...No rise... Also feet placement using the side of your feet.  These things are not natural and take time to achieve.

Dance Forum
Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:44:03 AM »

I've been told to slide my leading heel forward and then "flop" down my foot.  Not sure about the follow.  Make sure you compress before each forward / backward step.

Yes.  Quite.
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 09:48:41 AM »

i think this relys quite considerably on the supporting leg, lets say for instance we're doing a basic forward. I prefer for the start of the dance to have only slightly bent knees, as if you were starting any other dance. During this first step the man has a right shoulder lead, meaning that the leg is almost across the body. While lowering into your supporting leg you extend you left leg out, at the last moment change the weight between the legs, this give you the "strike like a snake" movement. i am happy to be shown different, but this is just how i see this and most movement in the tango

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 10:18:23 AM »

Yes I have seen Mirko do that move...He does such a great Tango

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 12:41:36 PM »

i think the most important aspect to convey with a tango is the intensity of the dance, as Neil Rosenfeld has said "move like a tiger and strike like a snake"

I like that anlaogy - too often you only hear the cat part which is really more like argentine tango than ballroom but the snake part is the difference .   The (body) movement in tango is altenating 'legato and staccato' - slow motions like a cat stalking followed by sudden weight transfers.  The feet on the other hand only do staccato wait - move - wait-move!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 10:16:59 PM »

Yes.....Tango is definitely staccato and people do forget that when performing it socially, it becomes too soft....and looses the character of the dance.

Dance Forum
ahowlett1
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 07:31:04 AM »

If you have never had a tango lesson with Neil Rosenfeld you are missing out on real tango.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 12:15:50 PM »

Remember those Tango closses.....
What about small base, i.e. taking smaller steps when you want a step to be snappy. Large steps naturally take longer, so makes it look like it's dragging a bit.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 04:41:23 AM »

And, even though int'l tango is not danced like the other 2 styles (weighted in the middle), it is still necessary to focus in the middle. The staccato action comes from focusing in the middle of the steps rather than rolling/plopping from foot to foot. EE correctly mentioned one dynamic of tango, fast/slow; there are 2 more not to be ignored; tense/soft, and near/far. This defines tango; its dichotomies.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 06:43:27 AM »

Tense/soft I think I understand - can you expand on near/far?

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 12:11:01 PM »

And, even though int'l tango is not danced like the other 2 styles (weighted in the middle), it is still necessary to focus in the middle. The staccato action comes from focusing in the middle of the steps rather than rolling/plopping from foot to foot. EE correctly mentioned one dynamic of tango, fast/slow; there are 2 more not to be ignored; tense/soft, and near/far. This defines tango; its dichotomies.

Agree on this.

Ahh, Bill saying "look from afar"

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 03:21:07 AM »

Tense/soft I think I understand - can you expand on near/far?
Yes...not so difficult, and better by example. This dichotomy refers to both movement and positioning. Many dancers get in by position, but miss it in the movement. Let's take position first...it's easier. Ex: one is in position dancing 2 walks. The lead is into the rock turn. The lady's posture exacts from near (in walk position) to far (headline in the lunge). The illusive one is near/far when related to movement. For ex: progressive link...the movement into the final movement is near, that it is say closely tucked or taut within the core. This movement is then followed by a closed promenade, and the body is sretched/expanded as the movement is exploded out (far) beyond the core of both body and step. Ta-da...near and far in tango.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 06:43:48 AM »

love it - perhaps the simplest example then is the extension of the leg in any walk (forward or back)...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: