partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 03:57:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Dancing well -- mind:body ratio
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dancing well -- mind:body ratio  (Read 569 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: July 13, 2013, 08:42:46 AM »

Quote from: me in a different thread
I've been thinking about this topic and come to the conclusion that dancing well is at least a much a mind/motivation game as it is anything else. 

Really funny.  I started to edit my post with a disclaimer: barring extreme physical limitations.  But, while I was typing that, I realized that dance may be even more of a mind game, if there are physical limitations involved.  Hmm.
(No.  I'm not conceited.  Grin )

Now I'm thinking.

How much of dancing well -- I mean really well -- do you think is defined by your body (age, disability, injury etc. versus youth, fitness level, etc.)   versus how much do you think is enabled or limited by your mind?

I think back to Blackpool this year.  There was a young lady dancing in IIRC the Latin semifinals with a broken toe. She did favor the toe a little but, truthfully, I wouldn't have seen if if the commentators hadn't repeatedly pointed that out.  There was something going on inside her mind that enabled her to dance despite the possibly excruciating pain in her body.

Not really sure what to ask, so I'll just ask what do you all think?   Have you ever thought about this at all?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 09:23:17 AM »

I think every young person does not give it a thought and every old(er) person thinks about it all the time!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »

Physical limitations? Possibly.   Heck. Probably.

But what is it that gives one old person the mental edge over another old person of similar physical capabilities?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 04:41:37 PM »

Physical limitations? Possibly.   Heck. Probably.

But what is it that gives one old person the mental edge over another old person of similar physical capabilities?

same as everything - genes and environment.  We can't do much about the former (if you have a lethal gene for when you are 20, sayonara) but the latter is very much under our control (not totally of course).  Eat well, exercise and use your mind.  Oh, and dance!  We all know it...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 09:32:37 PM »

I agree that heredity and environment both have an effect.

But ... what  I'm after is how much people think the mind is a part of the equation.  For example, some people with amputations go into lifelong depression.  Some become Olympic athletes.   In rare instances, heredity may play a role.  Environment most likely plays a role (family support, medical care, etc.)  But, at the end of the day, there's something in that Olympic athlete that makes her/him choose to become and athlete instead of a stereotypical person with disabilities.

Whatever that is, is inside him/her.

That whatever-it-is is what I am asking about.  How much do people think that people can improve their dancing by sheer force of will?

Dona nobis pacem.
Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 10:18:24 PM »

Have you ever thought about this at all?

Yes, every time I do Latin. I don't have a Latin personality, a lot of movements I struggle with is because I don't feel comfortable with them. If only I could get rid of that mental block I would be a much better dancer.

Saw this thread after I replied to 'born or made dancers' thread. I think mind has a huge part in how we dance. Again, talking from personal experience, when I feel confident and my head is clear and calm, I feel like there is nothing that I cannot do. Makes dancing flow more smoothly, and more fun as well Smiley Shame it doesn't happen very often Smiley

To thy self dance true --elisedance
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 03:22:46 AM »

I agree with this. My surgeon said the last time he saw me he has not idea how I dance my knees are that shot!. But I do and I do it reasonably well ( that is another story). But If I had listened to him then I would be home awaiting my knee replacement but since then I have tried to prove him wrong and am doing everything in my power to keep going without the need for further intervention.  I am sure others have through the same but cannot do s0. Why I don't know, the desire?  My desire to compete out ways the consequences that there are from the after math of dancing (and there are plenty).

So mind is 90% and my body is 80% Cheesy but mind is first

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 03:37:43 AM »

What's interesting is that I wasn't thinking about you when this thread popped into my head, but you are a perfect example of mind over body.  You have decided to dance beautifully and do it despite a LOT of adversity that comes from physical challenges.  I think that there are many people who, like you say, would be at home waiting for surgery, not out dancing, competing and consistently placing well.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 06:04:40 PM »

Have you ever thought about this at all?

Yes, every time I do Latin. I don't have a Latin personality, a lot of movements I struggle with is because I don't feel comfortable with them. If only I could get rid of that mental block I would be a much better dancer.

Saw this thread after I replied to 'born or made dancers' thread. I think mind has a huge part in how we dance. Again, talking from personal experience, when I feel confident and my head is clear and calm, I feel like there is nothing that I cannot do. Makes dancing flow more smoothly, and more fun as well Smiley Shame it doesn't happen very often Smiley
It is extraordinary that if you can imagine it, its likely that you can do it.   Such is the command of the body by the mind.  The challenge is to imagine....

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »

My teacher always told me that every action starts in the mind and then is created in the physical form (the body). He also said that in his opinion great dancing is at least 90% mental and 10% physical. I have found that couples could be fairly successful and with a little change in their mindset they went onto winning. I have seen that same scenario numerous times so not just a one time scenario. My sister includes working with the mind with all the couples that she trains. It is just part of her teaching.

It might be an idea to read "Psycho-Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz or "The Power of Your Subconscious Mind" by Joseph Murphy both of the books make it clear that the mind plays a very big role in creating the reality that you want.  Smiley

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: