partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 06:04:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Is youtube really good for dance?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Is youtube really good for dance?  (Read 2958 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 05:42:57 AM »

indeed that is the Arthur Murray philosophy, the teachers are just ahead of the students.
I don't think its a philosophy - its economics.  A trained teacher is expensive; a neophyte can be had for pennies...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 02:53:42 AM »

Yep, two video lessons ahead, probably one in most cases.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 08:19:04 AM »

... which means they can teach you one thing incorrectly.... Tongue

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 09:05:22 AM »

well they have been in business a long time! so they must be doing something right.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 06:13:48 AM »

well they have been in business a long time! so they must be doing something right.
Interesting line - I guess providing a social venue is probably their biggest (general) strength.  Some of these studios are actually very strong and serious about dance - we definitely should not criticize all.  However, there are so many tales of the other kind...

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 10:45:19 AM »

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to Youtube.  The advantage is that you can find some really good demonstrations of ballroom dancing, provided you know where to look.  No other generation of dancers had this gold mine at their disposal. Bad thing, as in all things visual, is that you don't see things as they are: you only see things as you are. Case in point, the worst teacher can look at a video of Mr. X and say, "watch how much he bends his knees", but if it were at all possible to have a chat with him, chances are he'll disagree with what you think he's doing.

Of course, the student who learned all the wrong things would project it all into what he/she is seeing and completely miss the truth.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 10:48:35 AM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 05:12:53 PM »

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to Youtube.  The advantage is that you can find some really good demonstrations of ballroom dancing, provided you know where to look.  No other generation of dancers had this gold mine at their disposal. Bad thing, as in all things visual, is that you don't see things as they are: you only see things as you are. Case in point, the worst teacher can look at a video of Mr. X and say, "watch how much he bends his knees", but if it were at all possible to have a chat with him, chances are he'll disagree with what you think he's doing.

Of course, the student who learned all the wrong things would project it all into what he/she is seeing and completely miss the truth.
Couldn't agree more - and as a primarily kinesthetic dancer looking doesn't do me a lot of good (except to make me feel worse Sad ).

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: