partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 12:19:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Is youtube really good for dance?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Is youtube really good for dance?  (Read 2695 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: July 10, 2013, 11:36:18 AM »

When one frequents boards like this one, you often run across people (especially dance newcomers) asking for dance instruction clips, especially on youtube.

Truth?  I've seen some awesome stuff on youtube -- for example Don Baarnes truly awesome video series that explains music for dancers.  Then there are the countless hours of fun I've had, watching swing videos and ballroom videos, showcases, friends' videos, and even Blackpool.

But I've also seen some of the worst, most laughable if only it were funny, videos ever, also on youtube.  Videos that not only gave poor instruction, but many that actively gave misinformation.  I mean really bad stuff.

So a question to those of you who've been around the dance world for a while and/or those who've used youtube in your dance journey.

Do you think that, overall, youtube is a good or bad thing for dance? 

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:42:51 PM »

I think its a great thing for showing off, great way to compare and contrast - but rather useless for learning

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 10:04:42 PM »

The problem is that so many people who turn to youtube for dance clips don't know the difference.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 10:11:57 PM »

I don't see it as a problem - there's none so blind as those that can not see - there's also none so satisfied... Tongue

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 10:40:44 PM »

Not sure I agree.  How much damage is done by the people who think they're learning to dance from one point five minute dance clips on youtube?  Blech.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 12:25:59 AM »

But if they don't know the difference and they feel they are improving who's to say they are wrong?  They may not be learning how do dance in the current tradition, but they are learning their own way and perhaps it works for them - perhaps it even works better.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say...

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 02:42:46 AM »

I think that it is similar to everything in life  - a double edge sword - it would be a great addition if you know what you are doing, but you might kill yourself (quite literary in this scenario) if you don't know how to wield it.

I personally find it quite useful, but then I normally watch the blackpool lectures series - you can hardly go wrong with that. I also watch my own video for improvement, others dances for inspirations and development of my taste, and sometimes just watch competitions and imagine that I am on the floor.

But if they don't know the difference and they feel they are improving who's to say they are wrong?  They may not be learning how do dance in the current tradition, but they are learning their own way and perhaps it works for them - perhaps it even works better.

While I like your statement, I would also like to note that certainly there are people in the position for saying them being wrong - their dance partner, or whoever is dancing with them. I don't mean it as "why don't you lead? Why don't you follow?" type of arguments. But if that self learning person is hurting me, I am fairly certain that I could, and probably should tell him or her that you are wrong.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 03:34:23 AM »

While I like your statement, I would also like to note that certainly there are people in the position for saying them being wrong - their dance partner, or whoever is dancing with them. I don't mean it as "why don't you lead? Why don't you follow?" type of arguments. But if that self learning person is hurting me, I am fairly certain that I could, and probably should tell him or her that you are wrong.

By 'they' I really did mean the dance partnership, not just the lead .  ['They' is plural in original English anyway though it is certainly used now to mean 'one person who is genderless', as you may have read it].  Thus, for it to work for 'them' then it would also have to work for the partner.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 04:41:08 PM »

I can't believe some of these people think they are good enough to even put themselves on Youtube.  There are a few that have a "series" of dance videos and I feel like adding to show you what not to do.  Are they so dillusional about their dance ability that they think they should even share it on Youtube!!!!

One lady I know was watching some Latin videos and told me at a dance that she was watching me how I do the steps was completely wrong.  She watches Youtube and was following the series that a particular couple does but she could not remember their names.  I am fairly familiar with a bunch of the "legend in their own mind" out there on Youtube so I discribed the couple I thought she may be watching. She told yes that is themand I told her first, what you think they are doing and what they are actually doing is very often two different things, and two, if you are going to learn then at least check in to who you are learning from.  This couple are just terrible and should be shot on sight for actually putting their stuff out there, but then again, if you want something for free then often you get what you paid for.  I sent her links to Youtube videos of syllabus steps being shown by some of the Pros that are good reputable teachers.  I saw her a couple of weeks later and she said she watched all the videos and even more and realized the people she had been watching were really not that good and how they did the steps did not match up with any of the other teachers that I sent her.  If it is a styling difference then fine but if you are showing sylllabus steps for people and you don't even step on the correct foot or the right direction, well, what can I say.

On the other hand in most areas there are few even mediocre teachers let alone good ones so at least Youtube is better than nothing. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 06:03:19 PM »

caveat empty Tongue Grin

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 07:18:57 AM »

V always says that in the land of the blind one eye is King and for new persons to dance this applies to some of those videos. but if they wish to learn more they will soon find out that this is not true.

I research the people that are offering the advice and I know that some wont. but in the end I don't think there is much than can be done about it.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 02:27:37 AM »

I think if people know nothing then a little of anything can't be worse!  At least it may get them more interested...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 01:54:23 AM »

True

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 04:37:52 AM »

Perhaps we all only know a little anyway Tongue Smiley

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 12:37:49 AM »

indeed that is the Arthur Murray philosophy, the teachers are just ahead of the students.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: