partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 04:43:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Foxtrot
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Foxtrot  (Read 13763 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 11:38:42 PM »

What is it that makes a great foxtrot? lets discuss the nuance of the dance
It's yoga/zen-like feeling. The ability to float the dance in long wavy deep breaths with the music only there as ambient connection.

thats it TD... nothing, nothing on earth makes me feel like foxtrot does.  I am just so fortunate to have two wonderful partners to put me there....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 01:49:20 AM »

I love this dance ( I am  sure you getting the message on this Smiley ) But we are getting smoother and lower when doing this dance...making the rise and fall smooth has been one of our main aims, yet to do it in a comp

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 09:38:31 AM »

it's always so much easier to do it in practise than in comps - the easiest way to get it to happen is getting it into the sub conscious mind, which, from what i've been told takes quite some time

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
jwlinson
pre-bronze

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 12:37:02 PM »

A quick way to relax and extend the lower back "naturally" for Standard was taught to me in this way:
1) Walk forwards up and down the ballroom like you normally would.  Be confident and walk with a purpose.
2) Try that same stride again, stay nice and upright, but this time imagine that it's the middle of the night, everyone's asleep in the house, and you're going to the refrigerator and you don't want to wake anyone up.

I'll have to try this.  Our coaches always tell me I need more "softness" in my legs, and even when I think I am adding more softness, cushioning my strides, using my knees more, etc. she still gets onto me for it.

The rise is a constant problem for me as well.  Even when I try not to, I sometimes feel like I'm "popping" up on the rise.  I think I'm focusing too much on the rise itself, since when I don't think about it I still have the rise but it's smoother.
ahowlett1
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 10:30:55 PM »

Hi QPO.. It is quite a common things to feel like the lady is 'riding' the man's leg in the three step. There are a number of reasons for this.

Assuming firstly that our posture, position and poise is 'sound', then firstly it has to do with sway. As the lady's dances out of step 4 of the reverse turn into step five she is going from a forward action to a sideways action, thus she will have some leftward sway. As she continues to move on to step 6 she is no stepping back in CBMP. What is common here is the side sway converts into back sway during the continuation of turn. Thus the lady is slightly falling backwards.

Secondly, on step 6, the man should no continue to turn his body. There is 3/8ths of a turn between steps 4 and 5, body turns less. Unusually, there is no 'body completes turn' on step six. This is because the man should be preparing to step outside partner. Should he 'continue to turn' the lady will be pushed backwards by his right side and feel like she is now in a posture of falling backwards and thus 'riding the man's leg'.

Hope this helps.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 06:42:39 AM »

thank you AH will discuss this with my partner and try to use this when we are next on the floor. so much to learn, but at least we are moving in the right direction. Cheesy

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 11:15:52 AM »

working on these very actions in Foxtrot.

Pro tells me he creates the "rise" and compression. That as he is coming down I am to "lift" him up on the rise, to fit into the "pocket" he has created. Also that I as a follower am "tighter" to his right side with my left. That the connection is tighter (does this makes sense they way I am saying it). That the compression is rolling through the angles and knees and lower than one would normally think. that the upper body "sways" and the lower more stationary/precise. (so not sure if I am stating this correctly)

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
ahowlett1
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 08:37:07 PM »

I would seriously question a 'tighter' connection..
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai PiĆ¹ Senza! ~

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 02:52:12 AM »

Hi QPO.. It is quite a common things to feel like the lady is 'riding' the man's leg in the three step. There are a number of reasons for this.

Assuming firstly that our posture, position and poise is 'sound', then firstly it has to do with sway. As the lady's dances out of step 4 of the reverse turn into step five she is going from a forward action to a sideways action, thus she will have some leftward sway. As she continues to move on to step 6 she is no stepping back in CBMP. What is common here is the side sway converts into back sway during the continuation of turn. Thus the lady is slightly falling backwards.

Secondly, on step 6, the man should no continue to turn his body. There is 3/8ths of a turn between steps 4 and 5, body turns less. Unusually, there is no 'body completes turn' on step six. This is because the man should be preparing to step outside partner. Should he 'continue to turn' the lady will be pushed backwards by his right side and feel like she is now in a posture of falling backwards and thus 'riding the man's leg'.

Hope this helps.
Great tutorial......... thanks for that

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 11:35:49 AM »

I - AM - R-E-A-L-L-Y- SRUGGLING - WITH -THE -SLOW- FOXTROT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean it really truly struggling with this dance. Just the frigging basic.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 06:06:54 PM »

Let's see if this tip helps.  As you take each step, forwards or backwards, make sure that you "step on to" the foot.  I know I for one missed this very obvious but important aspect of just "stepping onto the foot" gently.  When you step onto the foot, your whole weight transfers quite easily, just like walking. 

Once you are able to step onto your feet, include the feeling of a swing-set in your body.  If you count a feather step as "1,2,3,4", or, "AND SLOW, QUICK, QUICK": on "AND", imagine that you at the rear top of the swing set gaining momentum as you start to come down on "SLOW", then on the next two "QUICKS", imagine that you're rising again to the top of the front of the swing set while losing momentum and slowing down.  This has to be felt in your body, forgetting about your feet and legs (hence the feeling of dancing without legs).  You won't be able to do this unless you step onto each foot lightly and gently, but with conviction.  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 06:13:44 PM by Some guy » Logged
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 09:39:22 PM »

he is telling me WAY differently ... ok I am totally in need of an adjustment.
he says for instance....(right foot to start) pointing my toe slide back then when he is coming forward I go further back still, then come the left and then collect, then move onto the left as the same as the first. I amjust so confused. I am not keeping it together.

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 09:40:18 PM »

what slow quick quick ... i am told ALL slow. because it is slow fox. WHA?HuhHuh? Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »

Let's see if this tip helps.  As you take each step, forwards or backwards, make sure that you "step on to" the foot.  I know I for one missed this very obvious but important aspect of just "stepping onto the foot" gently.  When you step onto the foot, your whole weight transfers quite easily, just like walking. 

Once you are able to step onto your feet, include the feeling of a swing-set in your body.  If you count a feather step as "1,2,3,4", or, "AND SLOW, QUICK, QUICK": on "AND", imagine that you at the rear top of the swing set gaining momentum as you start to come down on "SLOW", then on the next two "QUICKS", imagine that you're rising again to the top of the front of the swing set while losing momentum and slowing down.  This has to be felt in your body, forgetting about your feet and legs (hence the feeling of dancing without legs).  You won't be able to do this unless you step onto each foot lightly and gently, but with conviction.  

Very nice explanation SG! Smiley Well done!!

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 01:43:00 AM »

what slow quick quick ... i am told ALL slow. because it is slow fox. WHA?HuhHuh? Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Awww......HUGS!

You can think of it as SLOWWWWWWW slow slow if it helps you.  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: