partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 10:29:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  PDAs on the Competition Floor. Yes or no?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PDAs on the Competition Floor. Yes or no?  (Read 754 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: July 07, 2013, 08:06:36 PM »

Public displays of affection, that is, not Personal Digital Assistant.  Yes.  I know that competitors can be overcome by the emotion of the moment, win or lose.  I also know that a lot of competitive partners are also life partners.

On the other hand, ballroom dance is a very formal, structured world.  On the other other hand, society has loosened up a lot over recent years.  People may not love PDAs, but they c ertainly aren't scandalized by them as a rule.

All that said, what do you think about PDAs at ballroom dance competitions?  Go or no go? Just curious.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 08:18:24 PM »

Public displays of affection, that is, not Personal Digital Assistant.  Yes.  I know that competitors can be overcome by the emotion of the moment, win or lose.  I also know that a lot of competitive partners are also life partners.

On the other hand, ballroom dance is a very formal, structured world.  On the other other hand, society has loosened up a lot over recent years.  People may not love PDAs, but they c ertainly aren't scandalized by them as a rule.

All that said, what do you think about PDAs at ballroom dance competitions?  Go or no go? Just curious.
that's almost hilarious.  I mean latin dance is symbolic sex - why can't one actually have a real kiss?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »

So you think it's appropriate for competitors to have a big, wet, smoochy kiss at the end of a dance? 

I don't.  My reaction, when I see that, is "get a room."   I get that they're excited by the moment, but hey.  Competitors in other sports can be penalized for excessive celebrating or something like that.  Why do dancesport athletes have free rein that other athletes don't?

As a spectator, i don't want to see that.

Not to mention that not everybody agrees that Latin is about sex. And I've seen more PDAs from lower level athletes than high.  The pros and pro-worthy ams OFTEN manage to control themselves.

And when you consider the advice given in other threads about maintaining your composure before going to the floor, why would it not be a requirement to maintain your composure until after you're off the floor?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 08:52:36 PM »

You have a point - and it may depend on how the affection is expressed.  For example, I don't think anyone would be averse to a hug.  So where is the line?  And does it depend on whether they really are a couple?  You don't want to have relationship-police out there!

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 11:14:42 PM »

Yep.

I think we're all used to seeing simulated PDAs during dance routines.  But I don't think that romantic affiliation off the dance floor necessarily gives dancers rights that other athletes don't have once the competition is over.  You can't have it both ways.

But of course, I am very old fashioned. *shrug*

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 11:47:29 PM »

i guess I should clarify that, in the OP, I was talking, not about what competitors do during a dance, while embodying the emotion of rumba or tango or whatever.  i think that's its own, very interesting topic.  How far have they gone?  How far is too far?  Dancing is sensual by nature, but is simulated sex okay?  How far can we go before ballroom is just another booty dance?

I was specifically referring to couples who, after a dance, are overcome by the moment and hug, kiss, and otherwise celebrate, while still on the competition floor, in ways that only couples would.

Feel free to discuss either or both.   Cool  Wink
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 05:46:28 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 05:29:35 AM »

I understood that - and have no objection to a celebratory hug or peck after a dance.  To me dancing is and SHOULD be an expression of deep emotion, not a cardboard copy of it, so whats more natural than to continue that a little into the post-dance.  Obviously there is a limit...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 05:55:28 AM »

Sure.  But since the OP was ambiguous and someone could potentially read this thread years from now, it doesn't hurt to clarify. Cool

I think your comment about dance being an expression of deep emotion is interesting. I'm going to have to ponder.  Don't want to take the thread off on a tangent this early in the game, but I do wonder how much of the emotion that dancers express they really feel in the moment in which they're competing. There's so much other stuff going on -- dancing your best, getting a good position on the floor (for Latin,) remembering to smile, portraying the character of each dance, managing floorcraft, avoiding collisions, recovering quickly from any faults, ...

That's a lot of stuff, requiring a lot of control.  So, in the instant that your performance is over, you're so overwhelmed by emotion that you just can't help but engage in a lip lock?

Call me old and crotchety, but I am skeptical.

And not everybody stops at a peck.

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 05:55:40 AM »

It is actually very possible. I have seen it a few times. The one time I saw happening before a dance was the first time when Max and Yulia got into finals at Blackpool (in Rumba).

I guess at competitions like Bp final, it is very possible that one of the people (normally the guys. I found that ladies are a bit more...conserve.) feels so emotional: getting into the final for the first time, and actually finish it (it probably feels like getting to the final line in a marathon, or the last exam of a final week), that he or she just go with the feeling - I mean, being such a great dancers, they probably get so used to go with the flow, with the feeling. Beside, by that time, judges are done with scoring, so no harm in having a kiss.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 07:22:46 AM »

..a kiss is just a kiss... a sigh is just a sigh... the fundamental things apply...

as rounds go by...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »

It is actually very possible. I have seen it a few times. The one time I saw happening before a dance was the first time when Max and Yulia got into finals at Blackpool (in Rumba).

I guess at competitions like Bp final, it is very possible that one of the people (normally the guys. I found that ladies are a bit more...conserve.) feels so emotional: getting into the final for the first time, and actually finish it (it probably feels like getting to the final line in a marathon, or the last exam of a final week), that he or she just go with the feeling - I mean, being such a great dancers, they probably get so used to go with the flow, with the feeling. Beside, by that time, judges are done with scoring, so no harm in having a kiss.

That's interesting.  So you think guys are more prone to be overcome with emotion than gals?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 02:44:11 PM »

I was a bit surprised at that too - but then I thought about it and guys are far more likely to show emotion after a sports feat.  I guess its the same in dance - but I wouldn't have thought for affection but for self congratulations Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: