partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 10:09:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Waltz
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Waltz  (Read 11049 times)
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 02:59:54 AM »

Completely understood, Cornutt. One of the things that I still do not see often even from top pros is a good waltz glide before the rise in silver and above. If this is developed well in the beginning levels, it should be more easily cariied forward into the highers.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 06:56:44 PM »

Completely understood, Cornutt. One of the things that I still do not see often even from top pros is a good waltz glide before the rise in silver and above. If this is developed well in the beginning levels, it should be more easily cariied forward into the highers.

Absolutely.  And part of it is my own fault.  Last fall, I had a pair of street shoes that had the tops cut funny around the sides of the ankle.  They irritated a tendon on the inside of the ankle.  And somehow, that took away all the strength in that ankle.  I could not roll through it -- anytime I took a toe lead with that foot, the ankle would collapse and transfer weight to the heel.  It wasn't that it hurt that much, but the ankle just refused to obey orders.   Angry  Once I figured out what the problem was and discontinued wearing those shoes, I had to pay special attention to foot exercises for several months in order to rebuild the strength.

Anyway, I didn't pay enough attention to mechanics while I was recovering from that.  Before I knew it, I had developed a bad habit of, whenever the right foot was the moving foot on 1, rising prematurey so the right foot could "help" the left one.  Even after the left ankle recovered, I continued to do this, and I didn't realize that it had created a very forced, abrupt rise.  So now I have work to do in order to straighten that out.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 05:38:52 AM »

I am so in love with this dance at the moment and we have our routine under control that we can enjoy it. we are giving much more rise and fall and staying lowered, when we come off the dance floor we are so happy. I am hoping that it will transfer across to the other dances.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 05:58:02 AM »

Thats terrific Q - I find the waltz to be the hardest of the standard dances - there are so many nuiances to it.  The hardest of all is doing it without loosing your ballance...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 09:13:36 AM »

I find the waltz to be the hardest of the standard dances
That's very interesting Elise, personally i find foxtrot harder.

A point my coach raised is using tango as an exercise to work on balance and landing on the foot. Try going through a tango, preferably semi basic, and work on landing on each foot perfectly balanced - this means to know when your perfectly balanced on your standing foot you much raise the other foot in the air so that it cannot be used for support. From what i have seen and experienced this increases stability through all styles of dances, not just standard.

Another aspect to look at is "feather light" touch, meaning that the hold between man and woman is just that, a hold that does not pull the lady or man off their balance - i guarantee you'll see instant results if this is not already in place

Zac
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:25:13 AM by ZPomeroy » Logged

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 09:19:42 AM »

Waltz is danced as 1 2 3...and NOT 1 2 3 4.  Roll Eyes
You think after 3 years of dancing, I'd know that pretty well.  Tongue
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 09:36:43 AM »

huh?

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 09:51:14 AM »

Waltz is danced as 1 2 3...and NOT 1 2 3 4.  Roll Eyes

Grin

One thing that we worked on this week is that, in the open left, the man's second step is forward and not side.  The step is taken forward, and then the foot has to turn as the man's orientation changes from closed to fallaway.  I've been cheating that step because I found the rotation of the foot to be hard to control.  The reason it was hard to control was because I was way up on the toe on that step.  Let's all say it together: "when you're going backwards, it's body rise but not foot rise."   Roll Eyes

Chair and slip pivot: My instructor kept saying that I was sending her away from me on the chair step (the fourth step).  I kept telling her that I was trying hard not to.  To make the story short: She wanted to know if I had torque in my body as I executed the chair.  I did -- but it was not coming from torso rotation, but from rotation of my hips in the opposite direction!  I told her it was the same thing in the inertial frame.   Grin  She said, "Unfortunately for you, we don't dance in the inertial frame."   Cheesy
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »

I've been cheating in many of my steps too.

Such as the throwaway oversway. The correct step for the man is back back then rotate the foot in order to put the lady in her place. I've been doing back side all the time.   Tongue

I really need to work on my timing on the fallaway slip double reverse spin over spin in to an oversway.
And natural pivots...at the moment they seem to be going 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ....
ahowlett1
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 07:26:35 AM »

Hi Swingwaltz... Have you decided what timing you are going to use on the fallaway slip pivot and then on the double reverse spin and over spin. There are multiple timings that can be used. Perhaps you need to make a firm decision on which beats you are going to split.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 09:19:19 AM »

So last night, I started a foxtrot 1 2 3 1 2 3... it's all your fault!   Wink
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 09:37:23 AM »

Hi Swingwaltz... Have you decided what timing you are going to use on the fallaway slip pivot and then on the double reverse spin and over spin. There are multiple timings that can be used. Perhaps you need to make a firm decision on which beats you are going to split.

Something I will consider when I get to a routine that is a bit more difficult!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 12:02:03 PM »

Very good point there....um.
So we have a chasse from promenade going into that group 1 2 & 3. Fallaway slip pivot 1 & 2 3 &. Double reverse spin over spin 1 2 & 3 &.

What about the natural pivots? I don't really have a clear idea about the timing there. We go into it from promenade and a kind of passing natural thing.
Is the timing something like 1 & 2 & 3 & etc. We come out of it with a slip pivot.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 12:03:05 PM »

So last night, I started a foxtrot 1 2 3 1 2 3... it's all your fault!   Wink

Haha ..... learn from other's mistakes just had a new meaning!  Grin
ahowlett1
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 10:22:16 PM »

Hi Swingwaltz..

A couple of things for you. You can't follow a Fallaway from a Chasse from PP properly. A right foot walk has to be included on an 'and' count if this is to be the case and is not very tidy.

Your fallaway reverse, slip pivot can be timed, 1 & 2 3 (there are only three steps in a fallaway and one for the slip pivot. It would be sensible to use a syncopated timing on "1 &" to get more acceleration into the fallaway itself.

The timing for a Double Reverse Spin is usually, 1 2 & 3. A over spin is usually timed "and" so you're timing sounds fine.

All natural pivots, usually them in reference to their technique book understanding, should be danced on single beats. (1,2,3...)  However, to achieve more effect on these, a 4 Beat spin should be used. (1 &, 2, 3). It is actually 4 steps over three beats, rather than 4 beats being used, that's its name unfortunately.

If you are dancing a Passing Natural into pivots, a outside spin is a usual linking figure. Might this be it? If so, a Outside Spin is timed 1, 2, 3.

Hope this helps.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: