partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:50:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  If you couldn't do partner-dance what would you do?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: If you couldn't do partner-dance what would you do?  (Read 441 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: July 02, 2013, 03:51:30 AM »

I've put this outside partnerdancing because there is no limit - indeed, it might even be 'not dance'.

But say you were a ballroom dancer and that became impossible to do at your level or within your interest range.  What would you do?  Another parnterdance?  Perhaps a solo form?  Or maybe just quit?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 03:56:16 AM »

To start this off I voted for doing a dance that needs no partner.  this may be sour grapes of course since what I really love is following.  However, that always means having a partner and I'm tired of being out of control - waiting on the whims of a lead....

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 07:21:46 AM »

Wow.  Grim choices.  I would probably spend time thinking about what dance does for me, then find a hobby that I thought would do similar things.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:33:08 AM »

I would continue to do my administration work and run competitions. also learn to become a teacher, I think I would remain in the sport....

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:50:42 AM »

Yes.  I think it's important to avoid absolutist thinking as much as possible.

It reminds me of years ago, when my older sister had just graduated from grad school and was looking for a job. She looked for months and months and couldn't find a job at her level, in her field.  When she redefined her job search and started looking for jobs that fit her skills instead of just her degrees, she found a job almost immediately.

The same thing can be true with dance, I think.  "I can't dance my preferred style at my level" is by no means the death of dance in my life, unless I choose to let it be.  There are lots of ways to stay involved in dance.

Personally, if I couldn't do ballroom,I would probably gravitate toward another partner dance or maybe folk dance or line dance.  Solo dances tend to be more strenuous, from what I hear (although I could be wrong)   I've always believed that is why so many retired ballerinas, jazz, and modern dancers end up in ballroom, rather than the other way around.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 06:22:53 AM »

It reminds me of years ago, when my older sister had just graduated from grad school and was looking for a job. She looked for months and months and couldn't find a job at her level, in her field.  When she redefined her job search and started looking for jobs that fit her skills instead of just her degrees, she found a job almost immediately.
What amazing advice - every aspiring job seeker should read that!

The same thing can be true with dance, I think.  "I can't dance my preferred style at my level" is by no means the death of dance in my life, unless I choose to let it be.  There are lots of ways to stay involved in dance.

Yes but that's like saying if you can't play the piano you should be happy with the trombone.  That's not a solution since you may hate the trombone - for some 'being involved in dance' is not the goal at all - I know its not mine.  Much as I enjoy the non-dance part of the dance world I only am in that because of my (physical) dance interest. 

What I love about dancing is, I think, romantic expression.  A week ago I would have said 'following' but I've been thinking carefully about that and now wonder if I love that because its how partner dancing is for a woman.  So I put myself (mentally) into a mind set of doing solo dancing - that is dance without a partner - to see if that would click.  Funnily then I realized that that is also something I love - and do every time I'm on the dancefloor!  During my warm up I dance freeform round the room - it makes others laugh I guess, but I joke about having an internal partner that's leading me.  Actually, that's just how it feels - the perfect lead is right there inside my head!  So since leading is not an option in ballroom (I have not thought that through entirely) maybe solo dancing is.   i

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 11:20:26 AM »

Exactly. That's why I would figure out what dance gives me and then find something that I believed would give me the same thing.

For me, for example, involvement in community is very important.  So, even if I were unable to dance, I would find and become involved in dance communities like this one.

Dance also gives me the fulfillment of being athletic and physically active. So,if I couldn't dance,I'd likely lift weights or take up power walking. (I fell in love with dance because I am not a team sports person at all and dance gave me a way to tap into my inner athlete.)

Etc.  What does dance do for me? Whatever that is, if dance was gone, I'd want to find a way to replace that.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: