partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 12:41:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Your Dancing Goals
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23 Print
Author Topic: Your Dancing Goals  (Read 18823 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2010, 08:04:37 AM »

well consistent will let the judge notice you more, they look for people that are calm  and consistent in their shaping.... Shocked

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #211 on: April 22, 2010, 11:37:31 AM »

to be consistent Undecided

"Consistence is Futile. You will be assimilated."

the Borg
and once assimilated??? <<insert head scratching emoticon>>

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #212 on: April 22, 2010, 11:58:54 AM »

to be consistent Undecided

"Consistence is Futile. You will be assimilated."

the Borg
and once assimilated??? <<insert head scratching emoticon>>

you will be part of the hive collective and subject to the whiim of the Borg Queen.....

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2010, 02:56:58 PM »

I have a new dancing goal.  I didn't realize it until yesterday.  Shocked  I have for a while had a song in mind that I would like to do a showcase dance to.  I finally got the CD from Amazon last week and I played it for my instructor for the first time last night, and we walked though some choreo ideas.  But more important: I explained the song and its back-story to her, and she totally gets it and gets what I want to do with it.  The song, although it fits the tempo and beat requirements for the dances we'll be doing to it, is far away from typical ballroom dance music emotionally and stylistically. 

This led to a "philosophy of dance" discussion, which is something we do every now and then during a lesson.  But this one went into areas that we really have not discussed previously.  I won't get into it in detail because some of it was rather personal, but basically we both talked about what it feels like to us to dance and to do particular dances, and with particular partners.  I'm entering a new world of artistic expression here.  Up to now, my approach to learning dance has been rather mechanistic, because that's my basic personality. But it's time to spread my wings a bit.

I feel like I've got my neck out a bit on this.  For the first time, it will be necessary for me to really portray a character in dance.  Am I up to it?  I'm not sure yet.  It will require a level of emotional expression in dance that I have not yet achieved.  And then there's the choreo, with its all-important intersection between the emotional and the technical.  My instructor and I are choreographing this ourselves because I don't know that I can explain to a coach what I want to do, and why I want to do it.  But my choreo experience thus far has been limited to making tweaks to existing routines.  And none of those routines was danced to music as stylistically demanding as what I'm doing now. 

I'm also not sure how the showcase audience is going to react to this.  The routine will (if we do it properly) challenge some audience expectations about what ballroom is, or should be.  It's going to be a long routine with more than a few theatrical elements.  There will be a lot of what musicians call "dynamics".  There will be some quite slow and soft moments, and at least one brutally physical moment.  Can we avoid boring the audience to tears?  Will they be willing to suspend disbelief and watch a routine that's going to be north of six minutes long, containing several different styles?

Follow along with me as I go on this new journey for the next few months.  It's going to be a rather sharp contrast to the competition discussion threads.  We don't seem to talk about exhibition/performance dancing much here anyway, and this one isn't going to be the typical showcase.  Should be interesting.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2010, 03:47:28 PM »

C: that sounds both fantastic and delightful - please keep us updated on progress - I'm in awe, not sure I could do it...

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2010, 04:02:45 PM »

I feel like I've got my neck out a bit on this.  For the first time, it will be necessary for me to really portray a character in dance.  Am I up to it?  I'm not sure yet.

You're up to it.  Wink Kiss

Follow along with me as I go on this new journey for the next few months.  It's going to be a rather sharp contrast to the competition discussion threads.  We don't seem to talk about exhibition/performance dancing much here anyway, and this one isn't going to be the typical showcase.  Should be interesting.

We don't talk about it because apparently nobody else does it and therefore won't participate in a discussion about it. Roll Eyes
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #216 on: April 22, 2010, 08:58:17 PM »

We don't talk about it because apparently nobody else does it and therefore won't participate in a discussion about it. Roll Eyes

Well, let's make it our business to fix that.  I'm going to start a new exhibition-dancing thread in the general dance area.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #217 on: April 22, 2010, 09:29:56 PM »

go for it... Smiley

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #218 on: May 12, 2010, 08:49:24 AM »

yes we dont do showcase dancing here either. I think the Arther Murray schools do, only if you do medals then you have your time on the floor but it is not really a floor show.

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #219 on: May 12, 2010, 11:57:25 AM »

Wouldn't back to back National Champion be nice.  Roll Eyes
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #220 on: May 12, 2010, 01:25:22 PM »

I'd take it.

Heck, I'd take back-to-back Mississauga champions Undecided

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2010, 09:14:06 AM »

to get snappier in tango Cool

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #222 on: May 28, 2010, 04:03:51 AM »

I hope that we could do that in our level at the Aussies Shocked

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #223 on: May 28, 2010, 04:37:22 AM »

To dance my best at practise - at a competition!

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #224 on: May 28, 2010, 12:06:09 PM »

I just want to be a better dancer.  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: