partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 06:51:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  The Good, the Bad and the Ugly -- Rating Your Favorite Competitions
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly -- Rating Your Favorite Competitions  (Read 457 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: June 21, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »

Okay, competitive dance people, weigh in.   What's most important to you, when you're picking dance competitions?  Location?  Price? Timing?  Shared expenses with other pro-am students?  Prestige? Number of competitors at your level? Other?  If you have to choose between two comps, what's the most important deciding factor?

What makes for a hands-down wonderful competition experience?  Conversely, what makes for a terrible experience for you?

Thoughts,  anyone?

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 01:34:11 AM »

well we have tried to go to a variety of dance competitions across the country and internationally, all for different experience. We go to Perth as I have family there and we support the local dance community that is struggling.

We go to national comps in Canberra & Melbourne for the prestige, then we pick other comps that we have not gone to before just for the experience. We are going to Tasmania in August and they Sydney at the end of August, was meant  to dance that last year but my knee was not good, so going to try again this year.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 05:09:07 AM »

That's interesting.   I've never known any other amateurs who traveled internationally for comps.   I've known more people who try to stay local.  I assume that has to do with keeping travel costs down.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:05:30 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 05:57:50 AM »

We have a related topic - competition stars - for comps where you just felt they went more than the extra mile.  I've been to a couple where you just felt like you were the star, even though you were only one of hundreds of competitiors.

[I'd rather we did not list the dogs unless there is a specific, verifiable reason - better to let them lie, as the line goes...]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 06:19:44 AM »

I haven't seen that thread (although I will at some point, I'm sure.)

This thread is aimed more at getting people to list what's important to them and why, more so than listing specific comps.  If there are simply wonderful comps that anybody wants to praise, though,please feel free.

For example, one thing that a lot of frequent comp-goers look for is amenities within a short distance of the comp venue -- things like reasonably priced restaurants, etc.  If you're stuck in a hotel in a strange city for several days,having to pay for a car rental and parking just so that you can get something to eat would be a real drag.

Another thing a lot of people complain about or praise is availability/proximity of changing rooms to the ballroom(s) where the comp is being held.

Anything, plus or minus, that sticks out in your mind when you're choosing which comps to attend?  Anyone?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:05:30 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 12:40:25 PM »

PRACTISE FLOOR!!!!
Hate it when you have to warm up championship standard on a carpet - appart from anything else it rips the leather pads off my heels Sad

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »

I like toing to interstate comps where they appreciate you coming. Once of the reasons we go west..... The trouble with not traveling you  can get an inflated opinion of your dancing if you always do well, and then go else where and you are nothing!. I will always try to travel if I can I know finances preclude a lot of people but I do encourage people to go if they can, it is an eye opener.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 06:59:04 AM »

I like toing to interstate comps where they appreciate you coming. Once of the reasons we go west..... The trouble with not traveling you  can get an inflated opinion of your dancing if you always do well, and then go else where and you are nothing!. I will always try to travel if I can I know finances preclude a lot of people but I do encourage people to go if they can, it is an eye opener.
we had the opposite problem - always did worst locally and best far away.  So yes, we preferred to travel too Wink

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 03:56:04 AM »

So the judging panel figures into choosing which comps? Or is it the other competitors?

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: