partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 03:41:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Top Teacher and Top Student Awards -- Whom do They Really Help?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Top Teacher and Top Student Awards -- Whom do They Really Help?  (Read 376 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: June 26, 2013, 03:35:58 AM »

Anybody?

I was halfway through my first pro-am comp when I started questioning the meaning of "top" in the context of pro-am dance.  Up until then, I'd always been naive enough to think it meant best.  After then, my definition was more like "the people who spent the most money today."   To me, good dancers win scholarships; rich dancers win top student.

Hmm.  But if you think about it from another angle, top teachers and students bringing in money is not necessarily a bad thing,really, as log as everybody understands the terminology.  Top students help win their teachers revenue, which gives teachers incentive to stay n the business.  Top teachers and studios bring in revenue, which gives organizers incentive to stay in the business.  Right?  Sorta?

In your opinion, are top teacher/student/studio awards a good thing for pro-am dance?  Why or why not?  If not, what arrangement,if any,do you think should replace it?

Dona nobis pacem.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:54:48 AM »

I call them "quantity awards". And I see them as a form of kickback from the comp organizers. But as far as I'm concerned, this type of award can stay or go, they're not my goal.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:09:25 AM »

Yeah.  Kind of like those perfect attendance awards when you were in elementary school.  Nice enough if you earned them, but not related to academic achievement.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: