partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 07:55:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | |-+  Social Media (mostly facebook) and Privacy
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Social Media (mostly facebook) and Privacy  (Read 520 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: June 25, 2013, 12:00:45 PM »

When you click on the F icon on a web page do you have any idea what that click did?  Or when you upload a photo of your child sucking a lollipop - do you have any idea where that picture might go?  when you share a picture of your priceless shot of a tornado eating a grain silo on FB do you know who can now market that picture?  And when your picture of a stranger standing by the river in New York is sold (unbenownst to you) for an ad for a nightclub - and she sues do you know who is liable for violating her privacy?

I don't mean to sound paranoid - but I don't think most people have a clue what their idle clicks are actually doing to thier lives and the things they treasure....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 12:49:54 PM »

Two things.

One. It's not just facebook.

Two.  I think a part of it is generational.  Kids these days seem oblivious to the damage that can be done by sharing too much information. I don't remember all the details, but I was talking to DS recently about something I didn't want on facebook, because I didn't want the whole world seeing it. He looked at me like I'd sprouted bunny ears.  He had no clue about why I might want to share things with some people but not others. Zero clue.

And one of my nieces tagged me in so many photos that I untagged myself from that I finally (quietly) unfriended her.  News flash.  If I want my photos shared, I'll share them.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »

Oh yeah.  And then there are the people who scour your FB page, looking for things that don't fit their value system.

So,for example, there's my FB friend who questioned me after a gay friend and a gay relative posted on my wall.  She doesn't approve of being gay so, to her, it's not okay for me to accept people who are gay.  I have to be just as much of a bigot as she is to be okay with her.

Then there's the Fundamentalist FB friend who posts vitriolic comments,anytime one of her FB friends posts anything -- gambling, astrology, "idolatry", etc -- that does't fit her belief system.

Thank goodness for the unfriend function.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: