partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:34:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  How to Make Social Dancing Fun
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How to Make Social Dancing Fun  (Read 1206 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: June 25, 2013, 04:46:10 AM »

I know that sounds crazy.  It's social dancing. It should automatically be fun, right?  Yet we've all had nights where we had a complete and total drag and maybe even sneaked out early.  Being at home is better than watching other people have fun, right?

So what kinds of things have studio/venue owners done,in your experience, that made socials all that much more social? And is there anything that a social dancer can do to bring their own fun with them so to speak?

My top picks:

1. Studio owners/dancer organizers should make sure to include some favorite/familiar songs in the DJ's mix.  Not enough that it gets boring. But there should be one or two songs per evening that "make" everybody want to get up on the floor.  And I don't mean line dances at a partner dance social.  That's just irritating unless you're at a cousin's wedding.  Grin.

2.  Dancers themselves an have more fun by pretending it's their party and acting like they're the host rather than a guest. At least I do.  IME, it's so much easier to have fun when you're worried about other people's fun than when you're worried about your own.

Anybody else have thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:00:57 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:50:21 AM »

Social dancing is a different beast. and often there a groups that sit together, different schools will encourage progressive dancing (particularly  in NV which is much more social that Standard Ballroom & Latin). I think you end up moving around to yo come to a social event that you feel comfortable with there are some providers that we just wont go to.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:51:52 AM »

It really helps if the owners are genial and are part of the party, not above it.  That way you want to come back to be part of 'family'.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 10:48:50 AM »

Social dancing is a different beast. and often there a groups that sit together, different schools will encourage progressive dancing (particularly  in NV which is much more social that Standard Ballroom & Latin). I think you end up moving around to yo come to a social event that you feel comfortable with there are some providers that we just wont go to.

That's true.  Every social has its own feel.  Cool

Funny thing:  Cliques make the party fun for people in cliques, miserable for people not in cliques.

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 03:56:23 AM »

Fun for everyone else or fun for myself? Sometimes these could be two different things.

If the former, then I think basic social dancing etiquette should suffice, or not. I guess I am selfish here. Since I can't make everyone happy, I would just make myself happy. If, at the same time, I make a few others happy, great.

As for fun for myself? I think trying to express myself (in terms of dancing) would do Smiley.

The more I read on this board, the more I feel that dancing means very different things to a lead and to a follow. Of course, they are still the same "elephant," but just the way we feel, think, and respond. Very fascinating, I have to say Wink.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 04:08:11 AM »

I love that (what is it?) metaphor.  Story. Illustration.

The elephant and the blind man. Depends on which part of the elephant you "see."

Dona nobis pacem.
cha
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 07:14:41 PM »

Good evening all!

Everyone has really great answers!  I never would have thought about fun being different for leaders and followers. 

One thing I try to keep in mind is that whether or not I have fun is sometimes contingent on my own attitude at the outset.  That being said ...

1.  fairly even number of leaders and followers;
2.  mixed ages - some people my own age and not all in any one age direction;
3.  mixture of those with and without partners so the dancers who happen to not have regular partners don't feel isolated;
3.  an upbeat, fun-loving host/hostess - someone with personality who loves to dance socially and has the innate ability to draw people into the fun; and
4.  if there are dance hosts - which is great - that they are able (rather: willing) to accommodate my level of dancing.

Regards,
Christianne
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 09:44:11 PM »

The elephant and the blind man. Depends on which part of the elephant you "see."

Wow, and I thought no one would catch that  Roll Eyes
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 01:14:11 AM »

Good evening all!

Everyone has really great answers!  I never would have thought about fun being different for leaders and followers. 

One thing I try to keep in mind is that whether or not I have fun is sometimes contingent on my own attitude at the outset.  That being said ...

1.  fairly even number of leaders and followers;
2.  mixed ages - some people my own age and not all in any one age direction;
3.  mixture of those with and without partners so the dancers who happen to not have regular partners don't feel isolated;
3.  an upbeat, fun-loving host/hostess - someone with personality who loves to dance socially and has the innate ability to draw people into the fun; and
4.  if there are dance hosts - which is great - that they are able (rather: willing) to accommodate my level of dancing.

Regards,
Christianne

Agreed to all, but I especially like your point about ones own outlook affecting the amount of fun one has. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 01:19:08 AM »

Wow, and I thought no one would catch that  Roll Eyes

You underestimate me,sir!    Grin

Dona nobis pacem.
cha
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 12:31:53 PM »

Ah - afternoon already - how time flies!

I realized that to me, a huge point of social dances would be to ensure that everyone feels good about themselves and their dancing.   At the two socials I recently found, there is an instructor who has been teaching social dancing for about 30 years.   He makes dancing FUN.   He brings enthusiasm for the dance AND the music while you are on the floor with him.   And he makes me feel good about myself and my dancing.  I don't walk away from the dance feeling embarrassed or anything less than gorgeous and capable.

LOL THAT'S A FUN TIME  Cheesy
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 12:52:21 PM »

I totally agree.  I am by nature a social butterfly,so,for me,it's not a fun social evening unless everybody (or almost everybody) is having a good time.

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »

I realized that to me, a huge point of social dances would be to ensure that everyone feels good about themselves and their dancing.   At the two socials I recently found, there is an instructor who has been teaching social dancing for about 30 years.   He makes dancing FUN.   He brings enthusiasm for the dance AND the music while you are on the floor with him.   And he makes me feel good about myself and my dancing.  I don't walk away from the dance feeling embarrassed or anything less than gorgeous and capable.

How I wish that there is a "like." LIKE :-D.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:56 PM »

Ditto. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »

Yup - competition dancers really can take all the fun out of it.  Or maybe its more like the fun is not really in the dancing but in the 'how to dance'

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: