partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:01:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Competitors -- How do you get motivated when you "know" you're going to lose?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Competitors -- How do you get motivated when you "know" you're going to lose?  (Read 632 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: June 23, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »

For example,when you've just gone up a level or it's a very crowded pool or you're dancing at a prestigious competition.  It's a stretch for you, and you know it.

So how do you get yourself and keep yourself motivated to dance your very best, when you suspect your results may be among your very worst?

Anyone?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:24:40 PM »

... this one is not so difficult - if you are expected to loose and you do, no big thing - but there is a chance you will not and then you have a big achievement... more anon

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »

much worse is when you are at the lower end and up against a couple or two that you should beat - but you can't be sure.  Thats when its stressful.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:43:06 PM »

For example,when you've just gone up a level or it's a very crowded pool or you're dancing at a prestigious competition.  It's a stretch for you, and you know it.

So how do you get yourself and keep yourself motivated to dance your very best, when you suspect your results may be among your very worst?

Anyone?

As ee said, then you don't have any expectation. If you loose, well, that is normal, no stress. If you win, horray!!! I think this is probably the (second) best way to compete. Once you are relaxed, you could really start dancing.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:00:26 PM »

That makes sense, M.  Makes me wonder, though.  If that's the second best way to compete, what is the first?  Grin

Here's what I was typing while you were typing, just for the heck of it.

Quote from: my clueless comments
I suspect that different people might have differing psychologies.  I see what you're getting at,though.  Cool

What brought this topic to mind was the (incredibly boring) commentary during the Blackpool Latin final.   The commentators basically said that the competition wasn't between the top six. The real competitions, according to them, were between couples 1  and 2, couples 3 and 4, and couples 5 and 6.  IOW, couples 5 and 6 walk onto the floor knowing that the only way they'll win is if a miracle happens or somebody dies on the floor.  If anything,they dance playing a waiting game, on the off chance that the champs will retire before they do, thereby creating a real opening.

This made me think about our conversation, a few weeks back, where we talked about the perception that judges are hesitant to unseat reigning champions  Once champs are in, they tend to stay in until they retire. So, in practice, there's no real competition for the top slot (arguably top slots.)

But isn't the point of competing to win?  Okay. Fine.  At Blackpool, everybody in the final or semi-final or quarter-final has bragging rights.  But what about at the Podunk invitational in Nowhere, QC?

How do you get yourself to bring your A game, regardless?

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 04:16:16 AM »

That makes sense, M.  Makes me wonder, though.  If that's the second best way to compete, what is the first?  Grin

In my humble opinion, the best way is to dance as if you are a champion (even if you aren't). One of my coaches once noted that one could differentiate upcomers and established pros during the quarter/semi finals just base on the way they dance. The established pros have so much confidence that they dance calmly, and radiate with great confidence. Where as the upcomers would jumping around and work really hard.

Quote from: my clueless comments
I suspect that different people might have differing psychologies.  I see what you're getting at,though.  Cool

What brought this topic to mind was the (incredibly boring) commentary during the Blackpool Latin final.   The commentators basically said that the competition wasn't between the top six. The real competitions, according to them, were between couples 1  and 2, couples 3 and 4, and couples 5 and 6.  IOW, couples 5 and 6 walk onto the floor knowing that the only way they'll win is if a miracle happens or somebody dies on the floor.  If anything,they dance playing a waiting game, on the off chance that the champs will retire before they do, thereby creating a real opening.

Good and fair points Wink. Many things that I'd like to reply. 

Yes. On the other hand, couple 5 and 6 could be really happy (and rightly so) to actually get to the final at such a prestigious comp. I also have heard that people would retire before being a champ simply because they are so tired of waiting.

btw, the commentary was irritating for me Wink

This made me think about our conversation, a few weeks back, where we talked about the perception that judges are hesitant to unseat reigning champions  Once champs are in, they tend to stay in until they retire. So, in practice, there's no real competition for the top slot (arguably top slots.)

But isn't the point of competing to win?  Okay. Fine.  At Blackpool, everybody in the final or semi-final or quarter-final has bragging rights.  But what about at the Podunk invitational in Nowhere, QC?

How do you get yourself to bring your A game, regardless?
As for how do you get yourself to bring your A game: there is of course the physical side. If you don't practice, you ain't gonna be a champion, fair and simple. However, there is also the psychological part and it is actually quite an important aspect - at least important enough that there are professionals helping dancers on these kind of things. I will suggest a book - Dance to your Maximum, an excellent book talking about how to prepare yourself, how to practice, what to do with your mind when actually on the comp floor, etc.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 12:43:44 PM »

Still thinking about my reply.  In the meantime,  I'll look for that book.  You are not the first person who recommended it. It must be a good one. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: