partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 08:55:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Ideal heat size
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Ideal heat size  (Read 1541 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: June 22, 2013, 07:39:18 AM »

What is it for you?

This topic comes from comment made by a judge in a swing dance forum, combined with an offhand comment ee made about Blackpool, where tens of couples may be on the floor at the same time.  And we've all seen or heard of people (especially in pro-am)who danced a billion uncontested heats.

For competitors, what do you think is the ideal heat size to maximize visibility (and invisibility  Grin)  Is it, as the swing judge thinks, "the maximum the floor will allow?  If not, what do you think determines the best heat size?  And what do you prefer?

If you had your druthers, what size heat would you like to dance in?   How many couples?  Why?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 07:54:31 AM »

I think 6 really is a good size.  Its enough to provide contrast without so many you can't see the same couple twice - and I think thats why its evolved into the standard size for ballroom finals (with occasional 7 or Cool

Since it is very likely that excellent dancers may be missed with mamouth heats, such as at blackpool or some AM comps (I was in one with 240 couples once) I think it should be obligatory that they have a 'reportage' heat for all the couples that did not get into the next round.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 08:00:54 AM »

240 couples?  Ye gods!!!!

Reportage heat?

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 09:31:56 AM »

On a typical floor size, 24~30 is optimal. I have danced in 48 (above), and that is not pretty.

But for maximizing visibility, I think one couple should be the best Grin Grin.

6 feels not enough for me, sometimes I need a few couples beside me to improve my performance. Beside, how am I suppose to show my floorcraft (or lack of Tongue) if there are only 6 couples - assuming average spread out across the floor?
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »

Do people think that standard versus Latin makes a difference?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 04:48:26 PM »

Do people think that standard versus Latin makes a difference?
Definitely, latin dancers - you could fit 50 couples on a floor.  Just stack them... Tongue

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 12:25:00 AM »

when we danced ear;er this year in Europe there were 25 couples on the floor, OK the floor was a reasonable size but not that big. you cant do quality dancing. I think it would be better to do basics around the floor maintaining posture and poise,. I am sure that is how they picked them off anyway. Poor top line you are marked out.

I think depending on the size of the floor you  can make a judgement on how many but judges have such a little time to look at you with 1.20minute piece of music. Trying to judge 25 must be a nightmare.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 07:00:30 AM »

when we danced ear;er this year in Europe there were 25 couples on the floor, OK the floor was a reasonable size but not that big. you cant do quality dancing. I think it would be better to do basics around the floor maintaining posture and poise,. I am sure that is how they picked them off anyway. Poor top line you are marked out.

I think depending on the size of the floor you  can make a judgement on how many but judges have such a little time to look at you with 1.20minute piece of music. Trying to judge 25 must be a nightmare.
my point - which is why the judges must have a cheat list of numbers to check so that they don't miss them.. with 25 couples you can't even be sure of seeing every one of them in that time.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 11:03:58 AM »

I would imagine that they quickly mark off the couples with obvious flaws, so they can spend the bulk of their time watching the better couples.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 01:57:56 PM »

I would imagine that they quickly mark off the couples with obvious flaws, so they can spend the bulk of their time watching the better couples.
Even if so - just think of the practicality of trying to find the wheat amongst the chaf of 25 couples.

I think we should test it.  Lets say you are going to call back 13 out of 25 couples; how long would it take you to actually see all 25 numbers, let alone judge their dancing?

I think we are onto something here Tongue

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 03:20:16 PM »

Just imagine how tough it must be at someplace like, for example, Blackpool, where arguably everybody is lacking obvious flaws.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »

Which makes me wonder if, especially in nearly rounds, judges judge by reputation as much as elimination. Hmm.

And it also makes the Blackpool rule of having former winners (and finalists?) not dance the early rounds make more sense.  No sense in clogging up the floors with people you already know are going to make the cut.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 04:14:37 AM »

the change of a final is very small so it makes it very hard for up and coming great dancers to break in, it is perseverance and consistency which is the key.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 06:21:07 AM »

And it also makes the Blackpool rule of having former winners (and finalists?) not dance the early rounds make more sense.  No sense in clogging up the floors with people you already know are going to make the cut.
that bit makes sense - but is it really fair after fighting through 2-3 rounds you then have to dance against someone who is already famous and is also fresh?  How can that NOT bias the marking system?  How often do couples that get 'bye's' fail to make the quarterfinal?  Probably never.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 08:15:49 AM »

I don't agree with the previous winners not having to dance early rounds.   I think we discussed that (or started to discuss it) in the Blackpool thread.  And it would certainly be fun to discuss it some more.
   Smiley

I'm just saying that, strictly from the perspective of keeping heat sizes manageable, it makes sense.

They could always divide up the heats and require everyone to dance. To me,that would be much more fair.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: