partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 09:46:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Where Do You Social Dance?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Where Do You Social Dance?  (Read 537 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« on: June 22, 2013, 07:09:26 AM »

What kind of venue, that is.  And how do you find opportunities to dance?

Nightclubs? Parties? Weddings? Ballroom socials?

Just curious.  I know a lot of people who wanted to learn to dance so that they'd be able to ...you know ... dance.  Grin  But now they don't because, in today's world, there really isn't a lot of readily available partner dance. Even if you like going out to clubs where music is played, a lot of times, it's more about pickups, drinking and freestyle dancing (The freestyle doesn't bother me but I know that a lot of people here don't do it.)  than actually partner dancing.

So where do you dance and how do find dance places for dancers?

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:37:56 AM »

I think we just kinda have to face it, partner dance people are in minority. And that is fine, a bit less competition going between males makes me a happy guy Grin.

As for where I go... I don't really do social right now, since it is culturally different here. There are social dance club, most definitely, but it sounds more like ee's place - you probably won't get any dance if you go there single.

But I used to go to ballroom socials...for social dancing of course. I went to a wedding and I decided that during my wedding, I am going to rent a ballroom...if I marry a millionaire, that is. I went to a Pub/club a few times, but I really don't like it. I couldn't really immerse into the flow, so to speak.

I was just trying to find social dancing in Taiwan (or at least near to my place), and there are Ballroom socials, but I am not sure if an initiated could just walk in there and dance...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 11:48:44 AM »

Thanks millitiz.   I hadn't really thought about the fact that culture plays such a big role.  I guess I'm guilty of thinking American.  Oops.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »

unfortunately alot of newbies end up at the chain places like Arthur Murray, they dont have much success and are quite out of pocket (Financially) so they just stop attending. They dont find out about the other dance schools as they are poor at self promotion.

Because Dancesport is run by non paid  people they can only commit to so much time and often probotion is the last thing that they have time to do. Compliance takes up most of their time:-/

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:39:02 AM »

The chain places are very expensive, you're right.  I their defense, I think they do a very good job of making social dance fun, though.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »

The chain places are very expensive, you're right.  I their defense, I think they do a very good job of making social dance fun, though.
Thats what you are paying for - a package where dance instruction is just one aspect.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 03:25:29 PM »

Exactly.  And,for a large number of people, those social aspects outweigh the dancing.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 05:07:45 PM »

I did that early on - it wasn't a chain but a studio that was managed with the same structure.  It was fun too Smiley

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 05:33:48 PM »

Yup.   I think a lot of serious dancers forget about that.  Fun is valuable too. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
cha
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 07:29:26 PM »

I've been to several different types of studios (all non-franchises) - some that are standard/latin/competition oriented (usually because the owners are still actively competing), some that are non-competing who only teach smooth and rhythm with emphasis on group classes, and one that isn't quite sure what it wants since the owners operate it as second careers (one is a businessman and the other made it known that her heart is in collegiate competition).   My most recent finds are two separate dances held at a Knights of Columbus hall during the week.  Both of these dances come the closest to what I would call true social dances: variety of crowd, fairly even number of leaders and followers, varied skill levels, smooth and rhythm styles, terrific music carefully mixed, and a hosts who make you feel good about dancing no matter what your level.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 07:38:48 AM »

Are your "new finds" run by ballroom dancers, or are they just general social dances where a ballroom dancer would be comfortable?

Dona nobis pacem.
cha
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 03:09:05 AM »

Evenly split 50/50.  One is run by a gentleman who loves ballroom dancing, and he has a professional ballroom instructor teach a group lesson before each dance.  The other is run by a dance studio. 
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 08:42:07 AM »

Very nice. Smiley  I wish they were closer to you, though. Having to fit a dance into ones schedule is hard enough.  Having to fit in a dance and a commute makes it more difficult. *sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 06:05:39 AM »

I guess we could have a topic on 'how far would you drive for a social?'

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: