partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2015, 05:46:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
117017 Posts in 1875 Topics by 227 Members
Latest Member: scotlanddancer8
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  What Makes Coaching Worthwhile?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: What Makes Coaching Worthwhile?  (Read 2771 times)
sandralw
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »

I agree with the third eye. You cant rely on the mirror so then you go on feel that that is just not reliable either, just because if feels good does not mean it is good.  You can get used to the connection between yourself and your partner which feels normal but not good!

And video taping is good but not at the same time also.  It is only as good as it's positioning and sometimes it is just not in the correct place to see something clearly and accurately.  Also, it too is a 2-dimensional viewpoint. 

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2015, 09:30:11 PM »

I agree with the third eye. You cant rely on the mirror so then you go on feel that that is just not reliable either, just because if feels good does not mean it is good.  You can get used to the connection between yourself and your partner which feels normal but not good!

And video taping is good but not at the same time also.  It is only as good as it's positioning and sometimes it is just not in the correct place to see something clearly and accurately.  Also, it too is a 2-dimensional viewpoint. 

Yes we tape from time to time but you are right, when we dance it feels much lower and yet watching it on video it often feels like we are so high? This confuses us even more.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
sandralw
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2015, 09:49:03 PM »

Yes we tape from time to time but you are right, when we dance it feels much lower and yet watching it on video it often feels like we are so high? This confuses us even more.

I used to work on one of the biggest video crews in the US, going from one comp to the next and used to be on camera for all of the "importiant" stuff... Especially Congress sessions, shows, dems, etc.  it got to the point where all of the top couples wanted me on them once they found out who had shot their tapes.  It is not easy to do, but you can improve on camera technique to bring out the finer points of the dancing.  The camera has to dance with them.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2015, 11:43:17 PM »

yes I believe there is a skill to doing so I watched DSI freedom to Dance and it was not nice to watch. I don't know how they filmed it but was very amateurish and all the way through they kept trying to sell their product. I would hope other events have more cameras and angles.

Dance Forum
sandralw
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2015, 11:52:43 PM »

yes I believe there is a skill to doing so I watched DSI freedom to Dance and it was not nice to watch. I don't know how they filmed it but was very amateurish and all the way through they kept trying to sell their product. I would hope other events have more cameras and angles.

Absolutely agree with the quality (or lack thereof) of the filming for Freedom To Dance.  I've seen very good and very bad and everywhere in between.  I am hoping they will do better going forward.

When I filmed certain couples I used to pretty much ,emorize their routines so I could anticipate where they were going on the floor.  For shows I used to watch rehearsals to get a feel of what would happen so there were no big suprises...

Not many others bother.  Some couples would ask me to get a close up of a piece of footwork or a picture piece... I'd do it as they wished.  I guess they were happy with what I did.  And, I was especially good for formation teams.  It was hard work and long hours but a lot of fun too.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2015, 04:05:53 PM »

Great dancing is an inside job!

There are several reasons to having a coach or coaching lessons.

1) A third eye
2) It is impossible to see what is going on within the body unless you have a trained eye.
3) Video's and mirror only gives part of a truth and without a trained eye you can only see big mistakes
4) A trained eye can see what causes the issue
5) A well trained coach understands how to correct the issue
6) A well trained coach can help the pro in a pro/am situation how to feel when the issue reappears
7) A well trained coach can help the pro deal with the issue and even correct it (from the feel)

There are many other reasons.... my mind just can't think of any more this very moment.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2015, 11:18:37 PM »

Great dancing is an inside job!

There are several reasons to having a coach or coaching lessons.

1) A third eye
2) It is impossible to see what is going on within the body unless you have a trained eye.
3) Video's and mirror only gives part of a truth and without a trained eye you can only see big mistakes
4) A trained eye can see what causes the issue
5) A well trained coach understands how to correct the issue
6) A well trained coach can help the pro in a pro/am situation how to feel when the issue reappears
7) A well trained coach can help the pro deal with the issue and even correct it (from the feel)

There are many other reasons.... my mind just can't think of any more this very moment.

DSV

I agree with that all.Cheesy

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: